Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-15-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Bow sights and Arrow rests.

Any thoughts on what I should be looking at for sights that you guys like for my sheep hunt?
Drop away arrow rest of some sort I think is the way to go. I'm out of the loop on the sights these days.
What are you guys using and what do you think I should check out for a sheep hunt?
Old 07-15-2017, 08:52 PM

I love my hamskea drop away I picked up at jimbows.
As for sights, I'd highly recommend going with an adjustable dial of some sort. At the very least it makes practice more fun and extends the range. I'm running four pins and like it that way. Haven't tried 1 pin but many guys love that.
I really like the cbe tek hybrid I've got. Many other brands will be recommended.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:59 PM

Whisker biscuit. It's bomb proof and just as quiet and accurate as any other, provided you use the right sized biscuit and vanes.

90% of tuning problems come from drop away rests. They are ok if you play at the range and hunt exclusively from an easy access treestand, and baby your bow. but friggen useless in ice forming, pine needle/brush/dirt covered, long hike in hunting situations where you dont get second chances and can't drive down the road to the pro shop if things go wrong.

Sights are personal but i would look hard at spot hogg, specifically the fast Eddie if you want adjustable or the hunter if you want fixed. I own a spot hogg hunter, not a single bad thing to say about it. Make sure your peep is sized properly.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:08 PM

I like my spot Hogg sight, and my ripcord ace rest.
Old 07-15-2017, 09:17 PM

I have hunted with QAD and Hamskea dropaway rests in all conditions +30 to -30 I haven't had any issues.

LC
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Hard to knock a QAD rest and Montana Black Gold site.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:14 AM
Banned

I'm using a Ripcord Ace and a Black Gold Ascent Verdict sight. I knew the basics of what I wanted when I walked in and that's what I got walking out.

I was looking at a multi pin slider, particularly the CBE Tek Hybrid but was told to look at the Black Gold. The pins are beefier and it just seems to be more robust. Not slagging the CBE at all, that's just my thoughts.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:08 PM

I ran biscuits on several bows and then switched to a QAD Ultra HDX. I've still got that bow and I quite like it. Only gripe I have is one November morning with a heavy ice fog, it did ice up. I noticed it and rectified but if a shot opp should have presented itself, it may have not operated correctly. I went back to a biscuit on my newest bow. Pretty easy to carry an extra biscuit in a pocket should you need to replace it in the field.

I'm partial to the MBGs for a sight. Had a Tru Glo of all things that I loved too. Not a costly sight at all but it was great. I run fixed pins but have a few friends who run the adjustable. I've ran one too but that was a G5 and I didn't care for it. Didn't hate it either but I like what I like.

Biscuits don't seem to like a helical fletch in my experience. Straight offset seems to be the ticket. Could be a factor of vane length I'm running too. Just something to consider depending on what you're running or want to run on your sticks.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have hunted with QAD and Hamskea dropaway rests in all conditions +30 to -30 I haven't had any issues.

LC
+1. I have never had a problem with either of those rests. My preference is the hamskea, for simplicity. I have used the biscuit and it is hard on vanes and causes excess noise and does mess with Arrow flight in freezing rain conditions. I know you can poke your finger through to clear it, but why not choose a rest you don't have to do that with? . I don't baby my stuff and huntas hard or harder and in crappier places than most. For the last 3 seasons I have hunted with an hha kingpin sight and have zero inclination to change. It is tough as nails and so bright that I have never had a need for a sight light. Sure, people will complain it is a little heavy, but come on, really? Does 4 or 5 ounces really mean anything in the end?

Jmo,

Norm

Last edited by normanrd; 07-16-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 PM

I second the whisker biscuit and Spot Hogg. The whisker biscuit is pretty much bomb proof. Super handy if you plan on doing any stalk and track type hunting. It holds your arrow nicely when you're moving around. No moving parts to break or snap in the woods. Last thing you want is to have your rest screw up when you're out in the middle of no where for days. The speed gain you get from drop away rests is minimal. I take reliability over a bit of speed gain any day.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:47 PM

Default Sight / Rest

I like the QAD or Hamskea as everyone else said but I will throw the Black Gold sights into the mix for a sight to look at.

Morb
Old 07-16-2017, 09:51 PM

I used to have a whisker biscuit and was strongly in favour of them until I got the hamskea. Compared to the qad, it is definitely my first choice and preference. I have heard too many stories about rip cord failures to ever consider one. Saw it first hand on the 3d trail while talking about the stories.
Have heard great things about spot hogg, axcel, and hha sights but have no experience with them. First hand experience with cbe and mbg and I'd be confident in either of those. If I were shopping for a new sight I'd probably consider any of those I just listed and feel I couldn't go wrong with any of those brands.
Have fun gearing up and practicing the ol archery gig again. You're in for a couple of awesome hunts this coming year. I'm sure I'm not the only one looking forward to the stories and photos. You've shared some great ones over the years
Old 07-16-2017, 10:55 PM

I'm dying to try a single pin sight. They make a lot of sense to me and many big time mountain hunters seem to like them. I'm sure you would really have to understand slope or have a good range finder to be consistent in the land of the birds and goats that you are headed however. I also use a QAD rest. Works well for me. But there are times that the arrow falls out and scrapes on my bow or accidentally releases if it brushes against something. Whisker biscuits don't have those problems. Food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2017, 11:14 PM

I run an apa limb driven twister. It's a pretty simple drop away. No reset button so it's load and forget, especially when you have to arrow down when you pass on a shot. Only downside is it's a front loader so no side loading with the arrows. I also use a spot Hogg sight, they are built like a tank. Good luck on your hunt and gear search.
Old 07-23-2017, 04:46 PM

You're gearing up for the November 408 hunt I see. You're bow will take a shiz kickin. Believe me. A light compact bow with a whisker biscuit will be what you want. My viper air with WB did not let me down and it was put to the test big time.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laker View Post
You're gearing up for the November 408 hunt I see. You're bow will take a shiz kickin. Believe me. A light compact bow with a whisker biscuit will be what you want. My viper air with WB did not let me down and it was put to the test big time.
You guys that have done this hunt do you recomend a soft bow case to hike around with to keep things protected then?