Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Rotator cuff injury?

Last Monday my left shoulder started to hurt real bad. By the end of the night I could not raise my left arm without some serious pain. I didn't do anything to physical before it started to ache. I was at a show with my wife when it started to hurt and we are at a loss at what caused the injury.

Fast forward a week later and I can use my arm with no issues unless I raise it straight out in front or to the side at should height or higher. Its been a week and everyday it has gotten better so I tried to shoot my bow lastnight. I couldn't even raise it up to a shooting position without pain.( Right-handed)

Doing some searches on the net it sounds like I have a Rotator cuff injury. The symptoms all fit - Pain and weakness in my shoulder when reaching overhead (like putting on clothes or washing my hair) loss of range of motion and a general inclination not keep my shoulder inactive.

I plan on seeing my family Dr to get checked out.

For the guys who have had shoulder problems what was your recovery time frame? Up until this injury I shot at least 5 days a week plus weight training 2 days on and 1 day off rotation and cardio with my pack. I was able to work out my back and biceps the night before without any problems and have been out on nightly jogs but anytime I lift my left arm above shoulder level I get pain.

Is my bow season in jeopardy? I only hunt with a bow nowadays and have no interest in hunting with my rifle. But if things don't get better soon it looks like I will be dusting off the gun safe and heading to the local range.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:21 PM

depends if you need surgry i had surgry and it took 6 months to start shooting my bow again good luck
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 PM

I thought it was more likely for the draw shoulder to injure then the bow shoulder. However the more I've researched the more cases I've come across. I myself have just recently injured my bow shoulder and am currently recuperating. The injury happened 3 weeks ago but I able to shoot every 2 days or so without much discomfort. A lot different from when it first happened and I couldn't use my left arm for anything much less sleep on my left side. Your doing the right thing in seeing a doctor to find out what the extent is.

The other best advice I can give you is put ice on it every 1- 2 hours. I wish I had of started doing it right away, since I've been applying ice the more and more use I have been able to get out of my arm. But depending on the severity you are either looking at 2 week to 7 months of recovery. For now before you can see the doctor try to use that arm as little as possible and keep putting ice on it to prevent it from getting any worse.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:40 PM

Don't mess with rotators!!
Get it checked out NOW, and if you have to miss a season, so be it.
If you push it and try to go back to soon, you may miss more than one season like I did!
Cat
Old 07-16-2013, 05:58 PM

Blew my left shoulder two weeks ago landing on it playing ball. Trying to do a dive catch and I didn't get to the ball.
Real ****ty thing is my MRI is scheduled for the end of Oct.... I have hardly any movement in my left shoulder and it has bin two weeks...My body says no buy my mind says yes....Hate age.
Just finished fighting cancer and kicked the crap out of it then this.... Bitter sweet eh.. Good luck

I am in the same boat as you as a bow only hunter but I do know the cause of mine....I am very upset by this ****ty injury..
Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM

I had a similar pain two years back, but it turned out to be an avulsion fracture involving my supraspinatus muscle.

DO NOT WAIT to get it looked at. I managed to avoid surgery that the doctor told me I'd likely have to go under for. It took 8 weeks of intense physio, chiropractic, and massage to fix it, and it cost a lot, but I never had to have my shoulder cut open. If you can get into it early and spend some money on the treatment, you at least have a chance.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel View Post
Last Monday my left shoulder started to hurt real bad. By the end of the night I could not raise my left arm without some serious pain. I didn't do anything to physical before it started to ache. I was at a show with my wife when it started to hurt and we are at a loss at what caused the injury.

Fast forward a week later and I can use my arm with no issues unless I raise it straight out in front or to the side at should height or higher. Its been a week and everyday it has gotten better so I tried to shoot my bow lastnight. I couldn't even raise it up to a shooting position without pain.( Right-handed)

Doing some searches on the net it sounds like I have a Rotator cuff injury. The symptoms all fit - Pain and weakness in my shoulder when reaching overhead (like putting on clothes or washing my hair) loss of range of motion and a general inclination not keep my shoulder inactive.

I plan on seeing my family Dr to get checked out.

For the guys who have had shoulder problems what was your recovery time frame? Up until this injury I shot at least 5 days a week plus weight training 2 days on and 1 day off rotation and cardio with my pack. I was able to work out my back and biceps the night before without any problems and have been out on nightly jogs but anytime I lift my left arm above shoulder level I get pain.

Is my bow season in jeopardy? I only hunt with a bow nowadays and have no interest in hunting with my rifle. But if things don't get better soon it looks like I will be dusting off the gun safe and heading to the local range.
Hey,

I just to be a tennis player, i toar my rotator cuff and took a long time to recover, but due to the gMe, it was kind of extreme...

There are lots of exercises for therapy, streching, etc... If u dont have a very serious injury, u should be fine doing these exercises right away, if not, u should take a long period of rest... To not getting this worst...

MY ADVISE, DONT GET SURGERY!!! Most injuries of that type, are treatable it takes more time but its worth it!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:23 PM

Well my Dr is gone until Friday but I will see him that day. Did my normal leg workout with weights with no problems. I can do all normal activities with the left arm with no pain and I can now lift it over my head with no pain. I can also lift it vertically with my hand pointing to the ceiling but their is very slight discomfort if I do it quick and no discomfort if I do it slow.

It is getting better. I friend of mine said it might be a pinched nerve in the neck since there wasn't any real incident that triggered the pain.

I was thinking of making an appointment with the sports clinc at millennium place to see what they think. Anyone know of any good chiropractors?

At this point I am willingly to do what it takes to be ready for the archery opening day!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:37 PM

When I've had shoulder issues (ball and weights) I never went to see my GP. I went straight to see a Physiotherapist. Last issue was a strain of the bicep long head (where it attaches at the shoulder)...8 weeks no weights and no shooting, and doing everything physio told me. I'm old, so may have taken me longer to heal.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=jdog0;2042738]Hey,

I JUST to be a tennis player...

I meant... USED to... Sorry...
Old 07-17-2013, 10:10 AM

An MRI is not necessary to diagnose a rotator cuff issue. A thorough physical exam and a diagnostic ultrasound are all that's needed. Usually 1 month to get an ultrasound. If one or more are ruptured surgery may be an option. If only one is ruptured (there are 4 in each shoulder) physio/rehab to strengthen the remaining 3 is often all that is required. Many surgeons will not do a rotator cuff repair unless at least 2 of the muscles are ruptured. Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:00 PM

Default get it checked out!

check what i'm selling due to this. switched to lighter tackle after a year+ off.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:20 PM

I've had my right shoulder repaired three times and all I can say is try not to have surgery and if you do make sure you follow the healing advise...