Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 07-14-2013, 06:51 PM

Default Newbie from the US

Hello everybody. Just moved to Edmonton from the states. I've mostly hunted deer, turkeys, and pigs. It looks like I have missed the draw for this year. Any suggestions on how to get out and hunt this year would be greatly appreciated. Also, any tip, lessons learned or things I should be doing to get permits or in the system.
Thanks, Doug
Old 07-15-2013, 02:07 PM

Have a look at the hunting regulations and start getting permission. There are definitely a lot of options once you have become an Alberta resident.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
Old 07-15-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_bowhunter View Post
Have a look at the hunting regulations and start getting permission. There are definitely a lot of options once you have become an Alberta resident.

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/
And a lot cheaper..
Old 07-15-2013, 03:02 PM

Remember, things are different up here. Don't be wandering around the countryside trying to buy a hunting lease... unless you are a (WARNING: THIS PART OF SENTENCE DELETED TO AVOID THREAD LOCK AND BANNING).

Turkeys and hogs, eh? We annoint you the forum's turkey and hog expert. Pretty rare experience up here for most of us. Welcome.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:11 PM

Welcome to Edmonton there are lots of great hunting opportunities here. Like was said above grab the reg's and have a look.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM

You sure you aren't the poster (edit....that was a Cam I see you are a Doug) who asked the same thing in the hunting forum and stirred up the hornets nest LOL?

If you are a bowhunter the draws are pretty much a nice to have but the province is pretty much wide open for you. Even if you are a rifle hunter the draws are meaningless in that there are general non-draw season opportunities for elk and deer.

Lots of crown land (you likely called it public or national forest back home). Welcome to some of the most wide open hunting in North America. Once you are a bonifide resident you can even get a sheep tag with out a draw.
Old 07-16-2013, 08:06 AM

Smile Welcome

Be safe and have fun. The bird hunting is out of this world. Like nothing you have ever seen.

Try to hook up with some of the local guys and have them show you around.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Default Thanks

Luckily, no I was not the one to stir up the hornets nest. But it did teach me a lesson about coming onto boards and asking questions without doing my homework first.

Thanks for the welcomes, as far as the turkey and pig expert, I am not so sure of that. I have killed lots of turkeys with both my shotgun and my bow. Spring turkey is some of the funnest hunting I've done. Something about a gobble from a tom that 10 ft. from you gets your blood boiling. Now pigs on the other hand, i am still a virgin on those. Have only gone around 5 times. The closest I've got was 60 yards coming right at me and the wind swirled and they were gone!

thanks