Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 06-29-2013, 11:40 PM

Question Asking Permision

So this will be my first season on the bow. I have a couple co workers that wanna take me out but I want to ask around and see if I can land even one or two places I can go when they don't wanna go. I'm prepared for a lot of no's but I'm an Ag mech so I was thinking of starting a conversation about that. How do y'all approach land owners on the topic of hunting Permision?
Old 06-29-2013, 11:57 PM

You'll do fine. Like you said you will get some no's but you gotta try.
Good luck ag mechanic is a good in.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:21 AM

1. Smile
2. Dress nicely
3. Drive slowly when going up the person's driveway
4. Introduce yourself and tell where you are from
5. Make it very clear that you want to BOW hunt
6. Hope for the best but keep smiling if they say no and thank them for their time regardless of their answer.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:37 AM

The best piece of advise I can give you is create a relationship with land owners first and foremost.. Your back ground in Ag will certainly help in conversation and getting to know these people..

Stop in well before hunting season and get to know the people in the area you wish to enjoy... Don't rush it, create a relationship first then proceed to explain you bow hunt and possibly would like to utilize and enjoy their lands..

Best of luck to you.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:00 AM

I can hear it now..."Hi I was just driving by seeking permission for bow hunting for myself when I noticed...[INSERT AG TALK HERE] ..

Oh you are so in...lol

Neil
Old 07-02-2013, 02:25 PM

Bring your young son with you and that sometimes helps. Say he wants to get his first animal and we just seen one up here on your land. haha. At least ask if I could go in and chase them out of your land to this guys land where I have permission
Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 PM

Great advise and a little confidence booster ill let y'all know how it goes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastidle View Post
Bring your young son with you and that sometimes helps. Say he wants to get his first animal and we just seen one up here on your land. haha. At least ask if I could go in and chase them out of your land to this guys land where I have permission
X2. My daughter had helped me out on this before. Not to mention it was just for looking for sheds but it did lead into hunting permission.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:34 AM
Gone Hunting

Be real.

Trying to pretend you are something or someone you are not will be detected 9 times out of 10 and it will set off alarm bells.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 07-03-2013, 08:31 AM

Smile All good advice

I would add don't smoke. That means a lot to fellows with a large dry stubble field.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:12 PM

If your an ag mechanic, then get on the road. I am one, and a road tech. Endless scouting, farmers think your a hero, lots of bull****ting, and they don't think of you as some stranger city folk.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:08 PM

A bunch of years ago I had cards printed with my name, address and phone number. I would hand one to the landowner when I first said Hi. That would show I was willing to be accountable for my actions. It did not hurt that my wife is a bow-hunter as well and her name was on the card and she was often with me as well.
Be polite and if you are turned down say I understand and thanks for your time.
I am a land owner and can tell you from that side of the street attitude and appearance makes a huge difference.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:26 PM

What I've done that helps tremendously is I first go and ask permission to shoot coyotes on there land. Regardless of whether there grain or cattle no farmer likes a coyote. Every time I go hunt dogs I always stop in first let them know, talk for a bit be personable then giver.

Once they see you respect the land and there rules they usually let ya in.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:21 AM

Default Don't be afraid to ask.

Sure its uncomfortable.

Keg's advice is a good place to start.

Do's: Smile, be presentable, ask if its a good time to talk, Bring your kid to the door (if they are close to hunting age... they need to learn how to do this. express your respect and appreciation for their decision, offer to keep an eye out for things out of the ordinary and ask if you can keep in touch. If you are successful, be grateful and clear about times and your intentions.

Don'ts: wear camo to the door, talk about things out of your depth, get into ethical debates about hunting, bring a posse.

Lastly... remember their perspective. A complete stranger is asking to sneak around their land with weapons in hand.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotter View Post
Sure its uncomfortable.

Keg's advice is a good place to start.

Do's: Smile, be presentable, ask if its a good time to talk, Bring your kid to the door (if they are close to hunting age... they need to learn how to do this. express your respect and appreciation for their decision, offer to keep an eye out for things out of the ordinary and ask if you can keep in touch. If you are successful, be grateful and clear about times and your intentions.

Don'ts: wear camo to the door, talk about things out of your depth, get into ethical debates about hunting, bring a posse.

Lastly... remember their perspective. A complete stranger is asking to sneak around their land with weapons in hand.
I wear camo everytime I go and ask permission. I have been turned down once in all my years and it was because the field was spoken for.

I also go with my entire "posse". I personally find it rude, as a land owner, if one guy asks permission and the next day I see him and his 6 pals hunting my land.

I think a lot of non-land owner people over think the whole permission thing. Making it formal is silly. Theyre just people too.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
I wear camo everytime I go and ask permission. I have been turned down once in all my years and it was because the field was spoken for.

I also go with my entire "posse". I personally find it rude, as a land owner, if one guy asks permission and the next day I see him and his 6 pals hunting my land.

I think a lot of non-land owner people over think the whole permission thing. Making it formal is silly. Theyre just people too.
As a land owner myself, I find it rude when there are 365 days in a calendar year and the "posse" shows up days before the season opens or during the actual season.. Being both a sportsman and dirt owner, well this to me provides enough of a character reference to turn these parties down..

Another pet peeve, the posse shows up, the driver exits the jacked up rut maker and others stay in the truck.. Again very rude as all these people will be stomping around and don't even have the respect to introduce themselves when asking for permission.

Can't stress enough, it is a relationship with the rural people... Earn the respect and create a life long friendship and you will visit tracks of land that most just dream of having the opportunity to enjoy..
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM

I don't hunt with a posse but thought I'd ask this anyway. Would it be better to show up, talk briefly to the landowner and make sure that he's not busy and then bring everyone up for intro's or for a group of guys to show up literally on his door unannounced? Just curious.

BTW this is a helpful thread.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 PM

I don't know how Id feel about a posse showing up. I know people have had problems in the past when say 1 guy asks and his buddy gets caught on the land then explains " oh no its cool my buddy asked you three summers ago".

Ive never had anyone ask to hunt on my land so I don't no but I don't think Id like it if more then 2-3 guys showed up wanting to hunt.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 PM

I often ask for permission for myself and others, but I make it clear (to both the landowner and hunting partners) that the permission is only for when they are with me, and if they want to go on their own, they need to get permission.

Be a man of your word, and you are unlikely to have problems. Don't say you will only be accessing someone's land on foot, if you don't have the fortitude to pack it out on your back. Nothing wrong with asking the landowner if he minds you using your vehicle or quad to retrieve something, but you better be prepared to accept "no" as an answer.