Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM

Default Recommended reading

I'd like to learn to fly fish this summer and I'd like to be prepared to actually catch fish once I'm outfitted and competant at casting.

What book(s) would you guys recommend for a relatively experienced spin fisherman who has never casted a fly rod in his life?

I'd like to learn about things like presentations, fish behaviour and entomology.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM

There is tons of great videos on Youtube that you can watch and learn from.
Here is a good site with lots of articles to look at (look in archives):

http://www.flycraftangling.com/index.asp?p=141
Old 03-23-2013, 01:22 PM

I had found some great videos on The New Fly Fisher's website but you can't get the depth I'm looking for in 3 minute YouTube videos.

I'm liking what I'm seeing on that site. A whole section on fishing-related entomology was exactly what I've been looking for.

Last edited by ssyd; 03-23-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:27 PM

Watch the Orvis guide to fly fishing they are great

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 03-23-2013, 03:47 PM

I've been self taught for the last 2 years.
I think the best learning tool is just getting out.
My first 2 fly fishing trips I caught 0 fish.
But it was amazing!
Old 03-23-2013, 04:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
X2.....well,can't really speak for the video series,but the online version of the book "Orvis guide to flyfishing" is very well done and what I've recomended for newbs on many occasions.Problem is,I don't think it's available for free on-line any longer,but almost any Orvis dealer should have the paperback for sale?
Old 03-23-2013, 05:19 PM

Dynamic Nymphing -George Daniel
Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams -Jim McLennan
Western Streamside Guide -Dave Hughes
Dry Fly Fishing -Dave Hughes
Fly Fishing Tailwaters -Pat Dorsey

These books are all good, even though some of them are from authors based relatively far from our region. The tactics are great, the photographs are very complimentary to the books, and they cover lots of needed information for fly fishing our streams in AB. There are more for lake fishing, but these ones are great for stream fishing, and I'm choosing this selection form a fishing library of about 75 books. Not bragging, just saying that of the books I own, these would be the ones I'd suggest for actually learning how to fly fish. Holding water, flies, techniques, basic entomology, and all the other goodies like gear selection can be learnt from these books (not all of it will always be in the same book, though).

For casting, get the Doug Swisher -Basic Fly Casting dvd distributed by Scientific Anglers. Great, step by step, and easy to follow video.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown trout View Post
Dynamic Nymphing -George Daniel
Fly Fishing Western Trout Streams -Jim McLennan
Western Streamside Guide -Dave Hughes
Dry Fly Fishing -Dave Hughes
Fly Fishing Tailwaters -Pat Dorsey

These books are all good, even though some of them are from authors based relatively far from our region. The tactics are great, the photographs are very complimentary to the books, and they cover lots of needed information for fly fishing our streams in AB. There are more for lake fishing, but these ones are great for stream fishing, and I'm choosing this selection form a fishing library of about 75 books. Not bragging, just saying that of the books I own, these would be the ones I'd suggest for actually learning how to fly fish. Holding water, flies, techniques, basic entomology, and all the other goodies like gear selection can be learnt from these books (not all of it will always be in the same book, though).

For casting, get the Doug Swisher -Basic Fly Casting dvd distributed by Scientific Anglers. Great, step by step, and easy to follow video.
Thank you!
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by grinr View Post
X2.....well,can't really speak for the video series,but the online version of the book "Orvis guide to flyfishing" is very well done and what I've recomended for newbs on many occasions.Problem is,I don't think it's available for free on-line any longer,but almost any Orvis dealer should have the paperback for sale?

agreed. check the website out as well as these two books.

http://www.orvis.com/intro.aspx?dir_id=758&subject=8898

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=2h45

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=65C0

here's a link to a bunch of casting videos done by Pete Kutzer also with Orvis that should be very informative and helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNrFo...e=results_main

this entomology book was recommended to me here on AO by the members and i gifted to JR this past Christmas. also very good.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bugwater-Arlen-.../dp/0811705056

welcome to the dark side, you'll never go back. sell your spin gear now well it's still worth something.

Dace
Old 03-24-2013, 12:51 PM

I'm amazed how much good, detailed info about fly fishing there is out there on the internet for free. Between Orvis and Fly Craft Angling I'm feeling pretty confident already.

And after reading the other thread here about rod building I'm also debating building my own fly rod now too.

How do you guys get anything done? I'm getting addicted here and I haven't even bought a fly rod yet.