Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM

Default Light Weight Float Tube

Hi,
I am looking for a good set up for backpacking up to mountain lakes, so I am trying to stay light weight, but also want to be able to get out to the middle of lakes... Any input would be great!

www.nicktrehearne.com
Old 03-14-2013, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnbowhunter View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a good set up for backpacking up to mountain lakes, so I am trying to stay light weight, but also want to be able to get out to the middle of lakes... Any input would be great!
The outcast trinity is for you. Im looking into getting one at the moment. Not too expensive, but lighter then any other boat on the market.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 PM

For years I used to pack in a Water Skeeter day tripper. Brought it to Marvel, Owl, Chester and a bunch more, but at 18 lbs plus waders flippers and camping gear it was too much. Later moved to a Super fat cat but at 12 lbs got tired of that too. Had a Trinity for awhile and at 7 lbs it was great, but with waders flippers and camping gear I soon got tired of that. Recently I have been pondering an Alpacka scout. At 3.3 lbs its super light weight plus you can leave the waders and flippers at home. If your stuck on a float tube the Trinity is a nice boat though....
Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM

I have the trinity and love it. If you can, try and buy one used as you may save some cash going that route. I have two float tubes, the Fish Cat and the Trinity. The Trinity is a pretty awesome, little lightweight boat. The fact that it pretty much packs up into nothing is great if space is an issue in your bag.

Although for shorter hikes (Rawson, etc.), I would rather use my Fish Cat over the Trinity....I like having the bigger pockets, and its just more of a rugged, sturdy boat compared to the Trinity. But for any longer hikes, there's no way in hell I would lug around a Fish Cat.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:32 PM

Hey Coppershot,

If you're looking at an Alpacka, check this one first:

Flyweight Designs' "Flytepacker".

Lighter than a Scout and quite a bit cheaper. I got one this winter but have yet to try it out. I'm not a white water paddler so I didn't see the need to get into the Alpacka line-up, though I admit they look pretty cool for packrafting.

HK
Old 03-23-2013, 01:01 PM

Did you find a bellyboat yet? I have one in a crate in the basement with fins. Think it is a Caddis. Haven't used it in years as I now fish from my kayaks all the time. I go home in a few days, will check and see what it is if you are interested.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM

Default Light weight Belly boat - Del Canty's Lunker Hunter

Check any info on a search for Del Canty's Lunker Hunter . This Guy did it all not only in Belly Boating but in design for a true light weight belly boat .