Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM

Default self guided bear hunt

I want to get some bear hunting in this spring I have wanted to for years but never do it.I am an avid outdoors man and am always exploring new areas.only problem is I have never even seen a bear were I hunt.I was wondering if there is any low priced outfitters that just kind of point you in the right direction.I want to do spot and stalk.I would prefer a place with a camp or a hunting area that has road access within a few miles as i would be on foot.I have a quad but don't really want to use it for a hunt unless I need to.I don't need a guide I just need a spot were there are bears and a desent price.people have told me just go near slave lake but i want to have a spot desided before I head up.anyone know any outfitters like this?
Old 03-12-2008, 07:48 PM

I second the idea to go to Slave Lake area.....if you are wanting to do a hunt by yourself spot/stalk, an outfitter wont do anymore than tell you the same thing you can get on here IMO....if you want a baited hunt, an outfitter can provide that kind of service..

Head north of Slave Lake on either side and start picking roads....hunt cutlines and roads when the grass starts to green up and you'll find bears. The cutlines are awesome to walk for a day and you'll see bears for sure...

Hell, I'll tell you exact mile markers we've killed bears in the past.....not sure what else you'd get from any outfitter....
Old 03-14-2008, 06:04 PM

is it all crown land around there?lots off lease roads/cut lines?I am new to all of this I don't know when to go or anything like that.how far north of slave?what else is around there for animals?I have never been there or anywere near.is there grizzlys,wolves,deer,moose?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:30 PM

You'll find lots of illegal baits around Slave Lake in areas where baiting isn't supposed to be practiced.......................Harold
Old 03-20-2008, 11:07 AM

go for a drive on nose mountian and glass the cuts you`ll see bear,becarefull
i was up there last year and a grizz came out behind me as i was stalking a black .It was fun after i got back to the truck but an eye opener as to where
i was hunting.now i hunt with a friend .Good luck maybe ill see ya there.