Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 09:13 AM

Kurt505, man that's rough, CRA is an enemy of every Canadian citizen. I interact with that org with great caution.

My situation is no where near as significant, but it taught me an important lesson about how dangerous they are. CRA has an incredible power to destroy your financial life, but it's minions are either abysmally incompetent or powerless to weigh information and effect an obvious correction.

2012, requested my Bank transfer a TFSA into an investing account Bank misreported it as a withdrawal and re-contribution. Fortunately the discussion was recorded.

2013, I get a notice from CRA suggesting I over contributed to my TFSA and they assessed a sizable penalty. PIA but over the course of half a year I managed to address the matter with my bank and have a representative from CRA in dialogue with them to resolve the penalty. It was 2014 now and I figured all was well.

2016, I get a notice from CRA suggesting I owe $35.00 with all kinds of threatening language. Despite a year of toiling with various CRA representatives, it seems impossible to convince them that when the original penalty is retracted it is incorrect to assess a late fee during the period it took to address it. Finally, I agree to pay said penalty, but with a e-mailed statement that it is not an admission of guilt but rather an insignificant amount. Assumed this was now addressed and behind me.

2019, I purchased a sizable RRSP, expecting a nice deposit into my account soon. Months pass, I inquire with CRA it's being withheld because I allegedly have an account owing to CRA. You guessed it, same $35.00. I quote the exact date, account number and transfer and they confirm receipt. They didn't know what to do with the payment in 2016 so they just applied to my 2017 taxes. And I had to pay the troll toll again in 2019.

Tis the season again, anyone want to take bets that I'm not clear of this?