Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 AM

Default Seafoam

I read several previous posts on using it in the crank case, instructions say 10ml per litre of oil. How much are you folks really using?

Thanks in Advance
Old 02-07-2020, 07:38 AM
Banned

This guy does great tests https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agAWXnT4-EQ
Old 02-07-2020, 08:01 AM

Why do you think you need it and what vehicle?
Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 AM

We have an older second car . I add about 4 oz to crank case , drive like 100 km and change oil . Was recommended to me by a Chrysler tech as some of there engines (mine 3.5) are known for sludging . Been doing this for about 4 years now.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold View Post
Why do you think you need it and what vehicle?
2006 Ridgeline, the lifters are very noisy when cold (started this winter). Plus Honda's have a metal screen at the bottom of the oil uptake which will get somewhat clogged over time. 340,000km is some time.
Old 02-07-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Great video
Old 02-07-2020, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post
2006 Ridgeline, the lifters are very noisy when cold (started this winter). Plus Honda's have a metal screen at the bottom of the oil uptake which will get somewhat clogged over time. 340,000km is some time.
Don't all oil pump pick ups have a screen on the intake? Everyone I have seen.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:14 PM

I use seafoam in everything, mostly as a stabilizer and additive, HOWEVER, as in this video older engines really seem to benefit from it. My older lawnmower, blower, etc.. seem to just run better and start easier.

I think it's worth the money.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:11 PM

That stuff is like Franks Red hot for Internal Combustion engines

"I use that **** on EVERYTHING".
Old 02-08-2020, 06:25 AM

I think it’s worth trying it out, when you pull it in the fuel system it takes months to really clean it out but the engine seems to get pretty fast results. Just put it in the engine and go for a good drive before you change the oil.

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 02-08-2020, 06:38 AM
Banned

Napa has Seafoam engine treatment on sale this month for $8.99,down from $12.99.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWS View Post
Napa has Seafoam engine treatment on sale this month for $8.99,down from $12.99.

Marvels Mystery Oil seems to work about as well and is quite a bit cheaper.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:25 PM

I have been sitting on whether to do the Seafoam treatment or not for some time now on my 07 F150. My engine kind of sounds like the one in the linked video on another post before he put the foam in.

So to clarify, If I'm going to do this, I should put it in the oil before the oil change, run the vehicle for a while and then do an oil change maybe the next day?
I'm always leary of putting anything in the engine that I am unfamiliar with, especially those 04-11 5.4L Tritons.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:08 PM

I throw a whole bottle in on a trip before I change the oil. So, It'll be 250 km or so before I change the oil. Once though, I had to go get a part, and I thought it was a 250 km trip, so I put the can of seafoam into the engine. I had just finished pouring it into the engine, and I got told that the part was in Regina. That was a 1387 km trip. So, that engine must be really clean now.

LiquiMoly has an engine cleaner that one warms up the engine, puts in, and just idles the vehicle for 15 min. I've heard of really good results with that.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Carnicero View Post
I have been sitting on whether to do the Seafoam treatment or not for some time now on my 07 F150. My engine kind of sounds like the one in the linked video on another post before he put the foam in.

So to clarify, If I'm going to do this, I should put it in the oil before the oil change, run the vehicle for a while and then do an oil change maybe the next day?
I'm always leary of putting anything in the engine that I am unfamiliar with, especially those 04-11 5.4L Tritons.
If it was me, I'd put it in the vehicle, drive it for a bit, and dump the oil hot. I'd probably leave the engine running right up till I was ready to drop the oil, as in vehicle up on jack stands, container underneath, socket found for the plug and on ratchet, creeper ready to go under, etc. I'd want that oil coming out as hot as possible.

And with what you described, I'd probably get a decent cheapish oil, put seafoam in, and drop the oil again in 500 city km, or 1000 highway km.

From what I understand, those 5.4l Tritons die from a sludging problem in the oil passages.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:

I never watched the video, but if your truck sounds like a diesel, trade someone your truck for a case of beer, you might have a guilty conscience for a bit, but that will pass.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I never watched the video, but if your truck sounds like a diesel, trade someone your truck for a case of beer, you might have a guilty conscience for a bit, but that will pass.
Cam phaser disease...
Old 02-11-2020, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Yup right after the 7th beer ..... by the time you finish the 12th, are your cares seem to disappear.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Doesn't sound quite as loud as the videos. but it does sound a bi louder than I think it should.
Haven't had any Cam Phaser issues yet, but I am keenly aware of them and I pay close attention to the noises in the engine.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:15 AM

So whats the best way to get this stuff into the engine?, The fuel tank, through the oil or in the Vac line? (I dont use the truck that often and when I do it usually doesn't go that far.)
Old 02-12-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
So whats the best way to get this stuff into the engine?, The fuel tank, through the oil or in the Vac line? (I dont use the truck that often and when I do it usually doesn't go that far.)
If your cleaning the fuel system dump it in the tank.

If you want to remove engine sludge and clean out the engine you dump it in the oil fill.

I have been using sea foam for the last 3 years so I am new to it. I can attest to how amazing it is as my cummins didn’t want to run even after a fuel filter change. Sea foam cleared it up and It runs like a new vehicle still even though I’m almost at 600,000 kms..

Last edited by 1899b; 02-12-2020 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
From what you're saying, I'd guess that you've got an oil problem. Dump a can or 2 into the oil fill, and run her for a while, then change the oil.

They also have a throttle body cleaner, and there's a specific way to spray that into the intake.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 PM

Default cheaper then canadian tires

they sell em by the gallon(3.7L ) at partsking its around 60$ . not listed on website you have to go to actual location on 156st .
Old 02-12-2020, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
From what you're saying, I'd guess that you've got an oil problem. Dump a can or 2 into the oil fill, and run her for a while, then change the oil.

They also have a throttle body cleaner, and there's a specific way to spray that into the intake.
Not neccessarily. Oil pressure is good, never had an issue with it. I'm just curious which way is the best way to do it. As I don't drive it very much or far, I imagine it would take weeks for me to get everything through the gas tank.
on the other hand it would be easier and to put it through the oil system and the Vac system.
I'm just super leery about doing it as I'm not a "car guy" ( I can and do change the oil and fluids myself) I just get a bit twitchy about adding things that I'm not 100% confident in how and why it works.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Not neccessarily. Oil pressure is good, never had an issue with it. I'm just curious which way is the best way to do it. As I don't drive it very much or far, I imagine it would take weeks for me to get everything through the gas tank.
on the other hand it would be easier and to put it through the oil system and the Vac system.
I'm just super leery about doing it as I'm not a "car guy" ( I can and do change the oil and fluids myself) I just get a bit twitchy about adding things that I'm not 100% confident in how and why it works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcN_WcGr4BU

Maybe this'll help.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Yup, Already knew all this. Pretty crappy engine. I got the truck so cheap that I'm gonna drive it till it dies, and I'll just maintain it as best I can till it happens.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:03 PM

Run it with straight ATF for a few miles to get it up to temp then change it.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:46 AM

Quote:
.From what I understand, those 5.4l Tritons die from a sludging problem in the oil passages.

There is that, but what I have found is that the seals for the timing chain tensioners leak (they are hydraulic) causing upper engine components to fail prematurely due to oil starvation (cams, can phasers, VCTs, etc. )

Using cheap oil filters (without the integrated anti-drain back valve) doesn’t help either.

Not a terrible engine overall.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdb8440 View Post

Check with Honda- maybe take it in. Some of their engines develop sticky valves causing noise, decreased performance and increased blow-by.

Not a cheap fix. My friend had this issue with her Honda, thankfully she had the extended warranty and they repaired it on their dime. For a few extra bucks they replaced the timing belt (chain? Can’t remember LOL) while they had it torn down as it was due.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:

I thought it sounded like a diesel-sewing machine hybrid.

What a change by the end of the video!
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Henry David Thoreau

"And we'll drink but not to forget
But to remember instead
All our happy years."

- Lowest of the Low, Subversives