Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Default Trip to anywhere in NA

So last night my wife won 2 flights to anywhere in North America... thats great now we need to figure out where to go. Currently we are looking at Costa Rica and Hawaii. If you have suggestions and even better specific places that would be great Thanks
Edit: we are open to anywhere beachy and tropical ie Bahamas, turks and caicos etc

Last edited by Glion; 02-01-2020 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:24 PM
Banned

Costa Rica is in Central America.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Costa Rica is in Central America.
Which geographically is part of North America but we better double check that thats what these free tickets mean lol
Old 02-01-2020, 07:30 PM

Go somewhere you can afford

For instance: Hawaii sounds like a great place to fly. The CHEAPEST part of any Hawaii trip is the flight.....
Old 02-01-2020, 07:33 PM

Alaska!
Old 02-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Alaska!
Looking somewhere warm for this spring haha
Old 02-01-2020, 07:35 PM

Is it anywhere in NA or anywhere Westjet flies? We have lots of friends that do hockey fundraising and we buy a ton of "Anywhere WJ Flies" raffle tickets.

Anywhere in NA? Easy answer is Hawaii.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:36 PM

Check out Hilton Head South Carolina. Beautiful down that way

BW
Old 02-01-2020, 07:38 PM

Its just blanket anywhere in NA... that being said Hawaii apparently is politically part of NA but not geographically
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 PM

All depends how many times you've been to Hawaii. New York City and New Orleans would be on my list if I wasn't looking for a beach.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:41 PM

There both beautiful. We rented condos in Kehai on Maui and Occatal in Costa Rica. We enjoyed the cultural aspect of Costa Rica. Hawaii was nice too. Didn’t care to much for the sharks but it was great snorkeling there. Much better than the west side of Costa Rica.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:45 PM

Thanks guys we haven't travelled much anywhere down there. Looking for beaches and tropical so anywhere in NA, costa and Hawaii came up first but we are open to anything
Old 02-01-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Thanks guys we haven't travelled much anywhere down there. Looking for beaches and tropical so anywhere in NA, costa and Hawaii came up first but we are open to anything
Never met anyone who didn't enjoy Maui. Relaxing, laid back beautiful place. Do as little or as much as you like.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Never met anyone who didn't enjoy Maui. Relaxing, laid back beautiful place. Do as little or as much as you like.
I love Maui, great that I have family that live there, we go every 2 years, stay with them and Willy Nelson has a house on the street,
Old 02-01-2020, 08:10 PM

Miami is a great party town and check out the Keys. Lots of fun in that area. Just don’t go there close to hurricane season.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:28 PM

A different suggestion would be far north somewhere, it’s more expensive to fly up to the north than anywhere else. Good fishing and far different from anywhere else you’ve been, go up in late July
Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM

Pick the most expensive flight and just go there.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:31 PM

Saskatoon!
Old 02-01-2020, 08:48 PM

Prince George
Old 02-01-2020, 08:50 PM

Biloxi, mississippi.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
A different suggestion would be far north somewhere, it’s more expensive to fly up to the north than anywhere else. Good fishing and far different from anywhere else you’ve been, go up in late July
Kid is due to come in late july... dont think the wife would appreciate that
Old 02-01-2020, 09:23 PM

Fly into PV and head up to Sayulita rated one of the best beaches. Beer is cheep and good surf fishing. Went there with the wife a few years ago simply amazing.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:35 PM

I had something similar a few years ago, basically I got royally screwed over by Air Canada on got a $4k flight credit out of them when I raised hell.

We went to Newfoundland. I figured I would never pony up the absurd amount money it costs to see that beautiful part of our own country. You can pay half as much airfare and fly directly over NFLD on your way to Europe.

It was a fantastic trip. They absolutely love Albertans, it’s kind of like visiting Belgium or Holland and telling them you are Canadian. Friendliest people I’ve ever met. The language barrier is pretty easy to overcome, and everybody speaks English in the major cities

Certainly not a tropical destination, but absolutely worth seeing. It was a bucket list location for me and I’m so glad I went. Like I said I never would have spent $1600+ to get there on my own.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Fly into PV and head up to Sayulita rated one of the best beaches. Beer is cheep and good surf fishing. Went there with the wife a few years ago simply amazing.
Did they fix the sewage plant in Sayulita yet? They dump the town’s “treated” sewage into the small creek at the north end of the beach which in turn empties into the ocean.

We made friends with a bar owner down there over the years and he told us the town has grown way to fast for its infrastructure and they are pretty much dumping straight raw sewage into the town’s main beach.

Check out the ‘Sayulita flu’ posts on the TripAdvisor forums, tons of people get sick each year from going in the ocean. We got sick the last time we were there 2 days of diarrhea and vomiting then went and got a $10 shot of something at the pharmacy that straightened us out.

I’ll be heading back to Sayulita for a few days in November, I just won’t go in the ocean again.Check out Alleya’s bar and tell Jose Paul from Edmonton says his drinks are weak! Freakin guy got me so drunk last time I went to see him I couldn’t drive my golf cart home. Walked 2km up hill in the dark instead lol.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:00 PM

Hawaii! Kauai to be specific.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Did they fix the sewage plant in Sayulita yet? They dump the town’s “treated” sewage into the small creek at the north end of the beach which in turn empties into the ocean.

We made friends with a bar owner down there over the years and he told us the town has grown way to fast for its infrastructure and they are pretty much dumping straight raw sewage into the town’s main beach.

Check out the ‘Sayulita flu’ posts on the TripAdvisor forums, tons of people get sick each year from going in the ocean. We got sick the last time we were there 2 days of diarrhea and vomiting then went and got a $10 shot of something at the pharmacy that straightened us out.

I’ll be heading back to Sayulita for a few days in November, I just won’t go in the ocean again.Check out Alleya’s bar and tell Jose Paul from Edmonton says his drinks are weak! Freakin guy got me so drunk last time I went to see him I couldn’t drive my golf cart home. Walked 2km up hill in the dark instead lol.
Supposedly they have a new sewage plant so it’s supposed to be so much better. We stayed 10 days in Sayulita about 13 years ago and it was great. Drove through a couple years and couldn’t wait to get out of town. Didn’t even stop. There were waves of people. 50 people deep at a crosswalk waiting to cross. It no longer has the little sleepy village charm it used to have.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:07 PM
Banned

just got back from hawaii.....1st trip since the 70's and we'll never go again. too expensive and boy its got busy too.

i'm with etownpaul..........nfld in a heartbeat (in the summer) we were there a couple years ago and fell in love with it.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:22 PM

We were in Florida in May a few years back, would definitely return. Easy to drive around, great hospitality and cost of living was reasonable as well. The weather was really nice in May and low season to boot, so not too many other tourists.
Old 02-02-2020, 06:32 AM

Default Costa Rica

Costa Rica. Lots to do, lots to see. If you like to fish bring down a rod, some poppers, plugs etc. and do some surf fishing. Never know what you are going to catch. If you are fishing from shore you don't even need a licence. A great place, fantastic scenery and the people are awesome! We're not coming back until April.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:08 AM

Arizona!

It's a beautiful state and if you go late March, the rattlesnakes will be moving again. They have six major biomes, which I believe is the most diverse state. It's easy to get around, affordable, and the scenery is amazing. It's also only a few hours to get to Vegas and California. If you fly into Vegas, you can rent a car for super cheap there.

If you can go to Costa Rica, that's also a wonderful country that you can get around pretty easily.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca