Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-01-2020, 07:48 AM

Default Wolf

hey guys, new member here

Quick question about wolf hunting. Im looking to get out and do some with my Father but I cant seem to find clear info if Wolf is considered big game and if you need to get a licence to hunt them?

thanks in advance guys
Old 02-01-2020, 09:21 AM

From the Regs

Timber Wolf
A Resident may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2020, or until June 15, 2020 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2020.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:40 AM

Default wolf

Clarification, always thought you needed to have a big game license (Elk/moose etc) before you could hunt/shoot a wolf on Crown land during fall to spring seasons??
Old 02-01-2020, 11:31 AM

^^^^^^^^^obviously not.
Old 02-01-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IR_mike View Post
^^^^^^^^^obviously not.
No, I think you do. Don't have time to find the appropriate rule right now though. Guess I'm wrong, I've always hunted under that assumption.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 02-01-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineguy View Post
From the Regs

Timber Wolf
A Resident may, without a licence, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2020, or until June 15, 2020 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2020.
X2
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM

Default wolf

If memory serves me well you use to need a big game tag before you could shoot a wolf on crown land. It appears they may have changed requirement in last few years. I would check with F & W.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If memory serves me well you use to need a big game tag before you could shoot a wolf on crown land.
It appears they may have changed requirement in last few years. I would check with F & W.
Why check with anyone ? The Reg's clearly state the facts...
The website (and the paperback copy) are our only resource(s), and they both say the same thing.
Whether it's changed or not, it's obvious you don't need any (other) license based on the wording... Hard to misinterpret that.

http://albertaregulations.ca/huntingregs/gameregs.html

Quote:
Timber Wolf

A Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote Licence may hunt (but not trap) timber wolf from the opening of any big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2020, or until June 15, 2020 in WMUs where black bear seasons are open until June 15, 2020.
* EDIT - and if you do kill one, you have to register it with F&W based on the WMU...

Quote:
Wolves taken in any of WMUs - 300 to 318, 324 to 330, 339, or 400 to 434 under any authority

Wolves taken in any of the WMUs indicated earlier in this section – not later than 30 days after the date on which the wolf was killed.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 02-04-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If memory serves me well you use to need a big game tag before you could shoot a wolf on crown land. It appears they may have changed requirement in last few years. I would check with F & W.
I think it used to be that you needed to be in possession of a wildlife certificate in order to hunt wolf.

BW
Old 02-04-2020, 01:45 PM

Or maybe people are confused with the rules for coyotes...
Even then, it could be argued that the interpretation of "RIGHT OF ACCESS TO HUNT" means any area you're allowed to hunt other animals.
Not that you have to have the actual license to hunt other animals also. And it's year-round, except the "Green Area".

Quote:
Coyote – A Resident, Non-resident or Non-resident Alien who holds a Non-resident/Non-resident Alien Wolf/Coyote licence may, except in WMUs 728 and 730, hunt (but not trap) coyote

a) throughout the year on privately owned land and on public land in the White Area, to which he or she has the right of access to hunt;

b) on public lands in the Green Area to which he or she has the right of access to hunt, from the opening day of a big game season in a particular WMU to May 31, 2020 or until June 15 if the hunting is in a WMU that has a spring season for black bear ending on that date.

Last edited by FishOutOfWater; 02-04-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:03 PM

OutOfHisElement provided an incorrect interpretation of information for Resident hunters.
P.s. FOOW, whatever's bugging you, you need to relax.

Right of access means just that, you have the legal authority to hunt a particular piece of land, it has nothing to do with "other animals.
You do not need a licence to hunt other animals, you need a licence to hunt certain other animals, and not for others.

Residents can hunt wolves year round throughout the province under the following conditions.

Timber Wolf* Any person who is
(a) the owner or occupant of privately owned land, or
(b) authorized to keep livestock on public land, or
(c) a resident authorized by a person described in (a) or a resident authorized in writing by a person described in (b)
may, without a licence and at all times of the year, hunt (but not trap) timber wolf on such lands, and on any lands within 8 km (5 mi.) of the above lands, provided he or she also has the right of access to these latter lands.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."