Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-17-2020, 07:46 PM
AO Sponsor

Default Any of the AO community into painting/art?

Just curious if any of my fellow AO members are into painting or other forms of art? I myself within the last year at almost 50yo have decided I need a creative outlet outside the of industrial arts I have always done like woodworking and knifemaking etc and have begun to teach myself to paint! I have never even attempted anything drawing, painting etc of any of the traditional forms of art, even through school. While everyone was taking art I was in woodwork or metalwork or mechanics etc and since moving into the forest surrounded by nature I have been feeling the pull to get creative. I spent a good few months reading and watching videos etc and about 11 months ago when out and bought some oil paints, brushes, canvas and just started. I am incredibly surprised by how obsessed I have become in such a short period of time. I think it is because I find it empties my mind of all the thoughts of the day and things bothering me and lets me escape for a few hours the grind of day to day life without resorting to self medicating with booze and such (still love a good scotch though! Lol!)

By no means can I say what I am doing is high quality fine art or anything with virtually no experience or training, and even though I find myself being being disappointed with the final product I am in a juxtaposed way quite pleased with how I am improving from position zero in a short time with very little guidance. I figured since all (well most lol) of us are here for the same reason, a love of the outdoors life, maybe some others are secretly hobby painters and might feel inclined to share some of your work with us! I am willing to put myself out there and start the thread and am fully open to criticism and critique whether negative or positive, but I think I am truthfully looking for like minded and more experienced people who might be willing to bounce stuff off each other and help struggling wannabe painters like myself to improve or at least inspire.

Anyhow, here are some of my paintings from over the last few months I am finished and still working on. Some are local scenes I have painted outdoors on site and some are from photos I have taken or found online and am just using for practice. I am not so much trying for realism as much as Impressionism/representational type stuff. Please fire away with anything!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-17-2020, 07:54 PM

I collect, but don't paint.

I have an original Banksy and a bunch of his prints.

Have some Shepard Fairy's Obey campaign prints too.

All of them are hand autographed with COA's

If your into street art and graffiti art like I am check out the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop"

A good watch if your into that kind of thing.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:00 PM
Banned

No but I collect. I'll gladly critique your work after re-reading drinking and consuming your scotch reviews
Old 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
No but I collect. I'll gladly critique your work after re-reading drinking and consuming your scotch reviews
Lol! My scotch is better than my paintings for sure!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
I collect, but don't paint.

I have an original Banksy and a bunch of his prints.

Have some Shepard Fairy's Obey campaign prints too.

All of them are hand autographed with COA's

If your into street art and graffiti art like I am check out the movie "Exit Through The Gift Shop"

A good watch if your into that kind of thing.
I will look for it thanks!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-17-2020, 08:05 PM

I like it, I always admire guys who push themselves, especially those moving up in years. Good on you. Nice paintings by the way.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-17-2020, 08:58 PM

Props bob, youve got some talent bud!
Old 01-17-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I like it, I always admire guys who push themselves, especially those moving up in years. Good on you. Nice paintings by the way.
Lolololol

Moving up in years.....lololololol

Quote of the decade. Omg i laughed out loud
Old 01-17-2020, 10:23 PM

Those are quite cool. You clearly had some hidden talent hidden in there somewhere for all those years.

I used to draw quite a bit when I was younger, no time it seems these days ..... hopefully when I retire I will try and get into carving ducks or fish or something like that. I know Wayne Christie on here has made some really cool steel fish ....

Nice stuff.
Old 01-17-2020, 10:32 PM

I collect art, have a dozen or so original pieces. My daughter's are quite talented, me not so much, but I appreciate it and like that you are doing it Bob. I keep saying I'm going to write a book some day, maybe that will be my challenge when I retire. Still waiting for Huntinstuff's bio...will enjoy a good scotch while I wait. Or two.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-18-2020, 07:54 AM

I draw, my choice medium is pen/ ink and pencil. Never got into painting much as it's style is often a bit " loose". I like realism. Haven't had time for art in the last 2 decades though. Might get motivated to pick it back up once life slows down a bit.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:44 AM

Default art

Im not really much into realism for the paint, prefer to see what comes out of them. the rainbow is my latest and best so far. When you cant get out to catch them may as well make them!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200118_082448.jpg (38.5 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg 20200118_083752.jpg (35.2 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 20200118_082649.jpg (36.7 KB, 179 views)

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-18-2020, 09:38 AM
Banned

Photography.
Not vacation and family pics...have shown in galleries throughout Canada.
When friends ask if I’ve been ‘shooting’ they have to specify firearms or cameras.
A link to an article a few years ago http://www.stalbertphotoclub.com/ima...r/nl-apr06.pdf
Old 01-18-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

Those are excellent for someone so new to painting... keep it up!

I keep threatening to start... maybe this will inspire me
Old 01-18-2020, 09:55 AM
AO Sponsor

That is some cool stuff guys! Thanks for the kind comments on my paintings. I really am trying to improve and hopefully one day will get to a.point I can sell the odd one but I am a ways from there yet. So far everything I am doing is strictly for my own enjoyment and practice, but a man needs some goals!

Keep it coming! I am enjoying seeing this stuff! I might even start a new painting today! Inspiration is always helpful...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-18-2020, 10:34 AM

I occasionally carve soapstone bears and I like wood carving. When I decide to get crazy with the kids we so some painting and I’m amazed that my paintings actually look like what I’m trying to paint...
That’s as far as it goes.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Lol! My scotch is better than my paintings for sure!
Same here, and my dad was an accomplished artist. I do collect, like Pack Horse pictures, but Nature sits well with me, especially if it's in a yard sale at give away prices. Limited edition prints usually end up as just so much clutter as time passes.

Grizz
Old 01-18-2020, 10:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
That is some cool stuff guys! Thanks for the kind comments on my paintings. I really am trying to improve and hopefully one day will get to a.point I can sell the odd one but I am a ways from there yet. So far everything I am doing is strictly for my own enjoyment and practice, but a man needs some goals!

Keep it coming! I am enjoying seeing this stuff! I might even start a new painting today! Inspiration is always helpful...
That is an excellent attitude.
Many artists who hope to sell will take the attitude of ‘I’ll figure out what sells and do that’.
Doesn’t work... do what you love... the passion will show and that’s what makes ‘art’.
Really like what you’ve shown here...keep it up 👍
Old 01-18-2020, 10:40 AM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
That is an excellent attitude.
Many artists who hope to sell will take the attitude of ‘I’ll figure out what sells and do that’.
Doesn’t work... do what you love... the passion will show and that’s what makes ‘art’.
Really like what you’ve shown here...keep it up 👍
Absolutely! I guess if selling art is your only source of income, making what sells is an easy trap to fall into, but for me I just want to enjoy the process and if someone likes it, all the better, and if they don’t then no big deal because I do!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-18-2020, 10:44 AM

I'll try to post up a few of my scribbles. Some of you guys might appreciate the subject content.
Old 01-18-2020, 10:53 AM

Would someone be willing to post pics for me? I can email them. Most of the drawings were done from 92-2002. I was born in 80 so they were mostly drawn in my teen years.
Old 01-18-2020, 11:03 AM

Trying to post some pics but it always says file download failed??working off my phone...Don't have a computer handy. Any help?
Old 01-18-2020, 11:14 AM

Can't paint, but I collect some amateur art especially when there is distortion of perspective.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:10 PM

Ok.let's try this
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ufHyzPJvAtq699
Old 01-18-2020, 12:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not allowing access... have you tried clicking the paper clip symbol above the posting box here on the forums? Then you just click on the file you want to add and as long as the file isn't too large it will say it has been added, close the window and submit your post and boom! Done... worst case message me and I will shoot you my personal email and I.will try for you.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 01-18-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Not allowing access... have you tried clicking the paper clip symbol above the posting box here on the forums? Then you just click on the file you want to add and as long as the file isn't too large it will say it has been added, close the window and submit your post and boom! Done... worst case message me and I will shoot you my personal email and I.will try for you.
Tried it more than a few times.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:45 PM

Default carve and paint birds mostly waterfowl

does that count? your efforts are pretty impressive for 1 year. obvious you had to get that art out of your system, very nice!
Old 01-18-2020, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
does that count? your efforts are pretty impressive for 1 year. obvious you had to get that art out of your system, very nice!
Carving is hard. I have tried my hand multiple times...those that can have my respect
Old 01-18-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Give this link another try.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:10 PM

Ok so it finally loaded two of the bunch I have. I guess it's a teaser lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200118_104939.jpg (31.3 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 20200118_104814.jpg (34.9 KB, 162 views)