Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 10:33 PM

Really good third line tonight and some positive stuff on the PP. Rough night in the net for both goalies.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Really good third line tonight and some positive stuff on the PP. Rough night in the net for both goalies.
Was a garbage game. How we can play so inconsistent and crappy yet still be 2 wins out of first blows my mind.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjohn87 View Post
Was a garbage game. How we can play so inconsistent and crappy yet still be 2 wins out of first blows my mind.
That would suggest that the whole pacific division is garbage. 8 bottom feeders battling it out to see who’s not the worst.
Basically.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
That would suggest that the whole pacific division is garbage. 8 bottom feeders battling it out to see who’s not the worst.
Basically.
The pacific division is garbage this year. Yeah, I’m drunk, none of these teams are legitimate good teams right now. Flames are playing far under their potential, are inconsistent based off math, and yet are still legitimate contenders for 1st place even tho the season has been trash for the most part. That right there should tell you everything about the pacific division you need to know. None of these teams would be in a good spot if we were playing in the east.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Basically.
I guess the Oil have a chance to put some separation in the standings today. Hope they should use this opportunity to do so.

BW
Old 02-16-2020, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
I guess the Oil have a chance to put some separation in the standings today. Hope they should use this opportunity to do so.

BW
Fingers crossed.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post

BW
That would be nice alright

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:16 AM

My guess would be Ritter start against the non division team and Talbot planned for the Ducks game. Division game important but Talbots numbers against the Ducks are superb. It is a gamble but Talbot against the Ducks is a good bet for a win. Now he played most of the Hawks game it will be interesting to see if they put him in for the Ducks or give him a night off. Hopefully he starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Ward in his office this morning, "Hmmm, last six games, Talbot is at .931 SA% and Rittich is at .888 SA% buttttt Dave brought me a coffee this morning."
Old 02-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Ward in his office this morning, "Hmmm, last six games, Talbot is at .931 SA% and Rittich is at .888 SA% buttttt Dave brought me a coffee this morning."
Maybe he’s Big Serve Dave.... he’s got a waiter uniform an all...

Yea I don’t get it man. If Talbots hot... he’s super good Berlin Wall hot... a guy should play him till his alter ego comes skulkingnout. You guys should be able to get a solid 5-7 game stretch out of him.

Rittchi....? Yuk.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Maybe he’s Big Serve Dave.... he’s got a waiter uniform an all...

Yea I don’t get it man. If Talbots hot... he’s super good Berlin Wall hot... a guy should play him till his alter ego comes skulkingnout. You guys should be able to get a solid 5-7 game stretch out of him.

Rittchi....? Yuk.
Our coach is same way. Especially first half of the season. Was 2 and 2 with them forever. No matter previous performance.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:06 AM

I think these coaches are turning into snowflakes and trying too hard for goalies to redeem themselves immediately after bad games. Wish they would just go with the hot goalie till they start to fail or need a breather.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
I think these coaches are turning into snowflakes and trying too hard for goalies to redeem themselves immediately after bad games. Wish they would just go with the hot goalie till they start to fail or need a breather.
Moose.. I agree a bit. Goalies are extremely tough. Its the toughest position in all of sports. These guys can handle anything in order to get to this level. Some very specific GT's might need special handling but for the most part, they can deal with this stuff.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Yeah I don't think any of us get that starting Rittich last night move. Ward makes some strange moves, and I think we need to explore a proven coach. The Defense was pretty bad last night and didn't help, but when you let the first shot in at 30 seconds the team is sunk. Johnny over all had an ok game I thought, again bad giveaways though. Tre has his work cut out for him to fix this, as we are not competing for any cups this year, make the moves needed and lets get trending in a better direction down the stretch and at least try and get in the playoffs.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
That was....brutal. So many ways bad. Flames are the Bi-Polar Express this year. Never know which team is gonna show up. Rittich needs some time off, let Talbot run it for a while.
Was at the game last night. Have been a season ticket holder for over 15 years and that was the worst effort at defensive zone coverage I've seen in a long time. It was pathetic.

Would have been nice to see the goalie make a bail out save or two, but it wasn't in the cards last night. When you play that poorly in your own end and expect your goaltender to win one for you, it's going to be a long time between wins. They could have put both goalies in at the same time and the outcome still would have been a loss last night.

Talbot looked a little better, but they hung him out to dry enough times to loose it for him too. If Chicago would have been motivated in the third to do more than protect their lead, Talbot would have likely had more past him than Rittich.

Look beyond the goaltending for problems if you want to see different outcomes than last night.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rig-Rat View Post
The Defense was pretty bad last night and didn't help, but when you let the first shot in at 30 seconds the team is sunk.
Don't think the early goal was the problem last night. They tied it twice, 1-1, 2-2 and got it back to 4-3. The defensive breakdowns were the problem.

Even the 30 second goal was a 2 on 1 (defensive breakdown). Don't know what the stats are on goalies in the NHL but I'm guessing when the first shot of the game they see is a 2 on 1, the save percentage is a coin flip. Would have been nice to see a big save there, but they didn't show up in their own end and it almost certainly wouldn't have changed the outcome last night.

If a goal in 30 seconds on a 2 on 1 doesn't wake you up and get you thinking about your own end, a big save wouldn't likely either.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Don't think the early goal was the problem last night. They tied it twice, 1-1, 2-2 and got it back to 4-3. The defensive breakdowns were the problem.

Even the 30 second goal was a 2 on 1 (defensive breakdown). Don't know what the stats are on goalies in the NHL but I'm guessing when the first shot of the game they see is a 2 on 1, the save percentage is a coin flip. Would have been nice to see a big save there, but they didn't show up in their own end and it almost certainly wouldn't have changed the outcome last night.

If a goal in 30 seconds on a 2 on 1 doesn't wake you up and get you thinking about your own end, a big save wouldn't likely either.
No your right they did battle back and did have some looks. I was more thinking when we play well first 10 minutes and when we do score first we tend to ride that and hold on for the win.
Still think Talbot earned a start for that game last night, I don't get Wards decision there. Then call on him to bail you out once were in trouble??
Old 02-16-2020, 03:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
No your right they did battle back and did have some looks. I was more thinking when we play well first 10 minutes and when we do score first we tend to ride that and hold on for the win.
Still think Talbot earned a start for that game last night, I don't get Wards decision there. Then call on him to bail you out once were in trouble??
Perhaps you're right about scoring first, but that speaks to a very fragile confidence level that will be a big problem going forward. You come off a west coast road trip, get 6 of 8 points, 21 goals in four games, you'd think that'd right the ship and give you something to build on.

They say in the first game back from a road trip there can be a bit of a letdown but I think it's a little deeper than that.

I'm not sure what's up with the goalie choice either? Maybe the coach is trying to boast Rittich's confidence (which may also be fragile) and show some faith in him, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to the goalie who got a shutout in the last game, although I think Talbot's mature enough to handle it with all he's been through the last couple of years.

Maybe the current coach isn't head coach material but I'm not sure what you do at this stage.

Any veteran coach on the sidelines is still getting paid (possibly quite well) on their current contract and would have to walk away from that to jump in here at relatively late stage in the season. They'd likely want a lot of term to do that.

There's also the Seattle coaching job sitting out there and that would be a pretty good gig for 2 or 3 years as there wouldn't be a lot of pressure to produce right away. Hopefully their ownership doesn't expect LV part deux at least.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:12 PM
Banned

Red Light Rittich for VEZINA He's a BEAUTY
Old 02-16-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYC338 View Post
Perhaps you're right about scoring first, but that speaks to a very fragile confidence level that will be a big problem going forward. You come off a west coast road trip, get 6 of 8 points, 21 goals in four games, you'd think that'd right the ship and give you something to build on.

They say in the first game back from a road trip there can be a bit of a letdown but I think it's a little deeper than that.

I'm not sure what's up with the goalie choice either? Maybe the coach is trying to boast Rittich's confidence (which may also be fragile) and show some faith in him, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to the goalie who got a shutout in the last game, although I think Talbot's mature enough to handle it with all he's been through the last couple of years.

Maybe the current coach isn't head coach material but I'm not sure what you do at this stage.

Any veteran coach on the sidelines is still getting paid (possibly quite well) on their current contract and would have to walk away from that to jump in here at relatively late stage in the season. They'd likely want a lot of term to do that.

There's also the Seattle coaching job sitting out there and that would be a pretty good gig for 2 or 3 years as there wouldn't be a lot of pressure to produce right away. Hopefully their ownership doesn't expect LV part deux at least.
This, I think we need a proven coach, we all know Peters story but hockey wise we did well last season with him. I say cut bait on this season, pull the trigger on Laviolette and hit the trade deadline. If I were king of the Flames.
As far as worrying about Rittich's confidence or whatever, to bad. This point of the season we need wins and points, so put in the hot hand. Not time for nicey nice..
As long as we hold on to a wild card, I am fine with that. Just get hot at the right time late in the stretch and who knows what can happen. Peak now and cool off during that time can be bad also, so we shall see how it plays out.. Seeing some consistency would be nice though, every night I still don't know who's hitting the ice.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:11 PM

Yep. Gotta take a page from the Oilers play book and ride the Hot goaltender. Smith has been lights out lately as in his goal light is out.

Why Talbot didn’t start the last game is a real mind blower. If he don’t start the next one the coach needs to go.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:42 AM

Johnny Gaudreau -- Sean Monahan -- Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangiapane -- Mikael Backlund -- Matthew Tkachuk

Milan Lucic -- Derek Ryan -- Dillon Dube

Sam Bennett -- Mark Jankowski -- Tobias Rieder

Noah Hanifin -- Rasmus Andersson

TJ Brodie -- Michael Stone

Oliver Kylington -- Brandon Davidson

Cam Talbot

David Rittich

I think the masses are right on needing a new coach. Why break up the only line that actually performed well against the Hawks... makes about zero sense.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:03 PM

I dont think BAcklund or Ryan is playing today,out with flu.
so im guessing that is why

having said that, we loose these 3 games we gotta be sellers, dont you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Johnny Gaudreau -- Sean Monahan -- Elias Lindholm

Andrew Mangiapane -- Mikael Backlund -- Matthew Tkachuk

Milan Lucic -- Derek Ryan -- Dillon Dube

Sam Bennett -- Mark Jankowski -- Tobias Rieder

Noah Hanifin -- Rasmus Andersson

TJ Brodie -- Michael Stone

Oliver Kylington -- Brandon Davidson

Cam Talbot

David Rittich

I think the masses are right on needing a new coach. Why break up the only line that actually performed well against the Hawks... makes about zero sense.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM

Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames have recalled Glenn Gawdin from AHL Stockton. 42 points in 46 games, good chance he debuts today.

Derek Ryan (illness) to IR, retroactive to February 13th. Eligible to return Friday vs. Boston. Sounds like he’s quite sick. Backlund also questionable today vs. Anaheim.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:12 PM

Default Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Pat Steinberg @Fan960Steinberg
#Flames have recalled Glenn Gawdin from AHL Stockton. 42 points in 46 games, good chance he debuts today.

Derek Ryan (illness) to IR, retroactive to February 13th. Eligible to return Friday vs. Boston. Sounds like he’s quite sick. Backlund also questionable today vs. Anaheim.
Hope Gawdwin gets a chance. I thought they had Buddy up for a spare guy
Old 02-17-2020, 01:24 PM

Any word on our injury front?? Didn't Tre come out and say Good news Geo isn't as bad, and would just be a few weeks?? I haven't heard anything like he is skating again yet. They pulling a McDavid on us with the ole, it's not bad routine.. We called up another Farm boy, Glenn Dawdin now, so thinigs are just getting better. I am guessing he is covering for Ryan??
Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Flames

Quote:
Any word on our injury front?? Didn't Tre come out and say Good news Geo isn't as bad, and would just be a few weeks?? I haven't heard anything like he is skating again yet. They pulling a McDavid on us with the ole, it's not bad routine.. We called up another Farm boy, Glenn Dawdin now, so thinigs are just getting better. I am guessing he is covering for Ryan??
Tre probably does not want to give any updates on Geo, or Hammer, due to the deadline. So far it just seems too silent.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:12 PM

What is with the uniform colors today?? I had to look twice to see who was who. Flames playing away colors, and Ducks look like they are wearing Flames home colors....so bizarre. Some special day or what?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 02-17-2020, 03:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
What is with the uniform colors today?? I had to look twice to see who was who. Flames playing away colors, and Ducks look like they are wearing Flames home colors....so bizarre. Some special day or what?
I heard something about them wearing their Heritage game uni's today. Not sure why.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Default Flames

Interesting.
Looks like contract termination is coming, after which Bogosian would be UFA.

Buffalo Sabres @BuffaloSabres
We have suspended defenseman Zach Bogosian due to failure to report to the Rochester Americans.

There will be no further information or comment at this time.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM

Hard to pin the 2nd one on Talbot.

Hope Johnny was watching and noted how he didn't go 5 hole.