Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Medical Marijuana for Pain Management

Well, I am coming up on three weeks now of battling mind numbing pain from a pinched nerve caused by degenerative disc disease in my C4, C5, and C6. I started out getting chiro treatment, but it was worsening things. I then switched to a physiotherapist who also does acupuncture. It has been helping, but I am at the two steps forward, then one and a half back phase. I am happy with the physio/accupuncture route. I am doing my stretching and taking walks each day. Evenings/nighttime are the worst for me. The pain, which originates under my shoulder, radiates down my arm and to the end of my fingers, is often so bad that I would be happy to cut my arm off. Because of this, I am lucky to get a few hours of sleep, even with strong painkillers

The doctor started me off with Percocet, but they were barely taking the edge off at the maximum safe dosage. I told him and he switched me to Dilaudid which he said was the absolute strongest he is able to subscribe. Sometimes they help, but again, they just take the edge off.

There is no real timeline for recovery, and it is an individual thing, with surgery being the last option.

The last time I was in to see him, we discussed the addictive nature of these opioids, and that there would likely be a withdrawal period. They're not good things. We then talked about CBD oil (a derivative with the get you stoned stuff removed) / medical marijuana, as it is not addictive like the opioids. He was in favor of me exploring it as an option, as many people have good results with treating neuropathic pain via medical marijuana or its derivatives. He said I would have to go to a clinic to be assessed, and that there is a long wait, as they are so busy.

I am open to anything, and am interested in finding out more, particularly from people who have used it themselves as a pain treatment, or know people who have.

I am somewhat nervous about all of this, as I was an alcoholic at an early age, and have been dry for 24 years, so the last thing I need is getting hooked on anything.

If you have any experience personally, or of others close to you, I sure would be interested in hearing about it. I also understand that many people are reluctant to talk about this stuff publicly - trust me, I wrestled with even writing this - if you'd rather, I am fine with a pm.

If you have any other suggestions, I'd be happy to hear about them, as I'm sure I'm not the only person on the forum suffering with acute pain.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:50 PM

I ruptured a disc between C5 and C6 and tried all the heavy pain meds. None worked on that nerve pain. Oddly enough, the med that was most effective for me was Advil. Not a med you can take for a long time but it sure worked short term and in upswings. Unfortunately I still have neck pain after 16 years. You may have to learn some relaxation techniques for pain management too.

I am on the fence as far as medical pot. Not so sure it can touch nerve pain.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-09-2017 at 12:56 PM.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:09 PM

I've been suffering through a pinched nerve all week absolutely the worst pain I've been through. The chiropractor snapped my hip joint yesterday giving some relief however I have to walk every few hours or the pain returns. I tried T3's no effect
Robacet no effect
Blue cold rub lasts about 15 mins.
Advil does take the edge off
2 oz's of Dr. lemon Hart before bed helped a little
I've been doing laps around Walmart because the shopping cart holds me up. Life sucks with this pain I was thinking of trying the pot angle don't know where to score my contacts dried up 40 years ago.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:10 PM

" I am coming up on three weeks now of battling mind numbing pain from a pinched nerve caused by degenerative disc disease in my C4, C5, and C6"

Is that considered neuropathic pain?

If it is, opiate pain killers will do next to nothing.
Old 06-09-2017, 01:14 PM

I;m the opposite. I'll trade you percocet for medical marijuana?
Old 06-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Was going to start a thread on this last night, never got around to it. I'm no expert, but take it for what it is. Lots of friends on medical weed.

There are 2 main strains - sativa which is classified as daytime weed by some, and indica which is classed as nighttime weed. Then there are hybrid crosses between the two. Then you have to break it down to the different strains of sativa and indica - and each of these can have different levels of THC or CBD. There are other medicinal compounds in each strain.

CBD doesn't get a person stoned, THC does. There is so much to go through and understand when it comes to medical marijuana.

CBD alone may or may not work for you. THC alone may or may not work for you. One strain of sativa may not work for you but another will so it's not something that you can try once and claim it to not work. Smoking marijuana may not work for you - but ingesting it through another medium like brownies or cookies may. Others get relief from topicals that you apply to the skin. Clear as mud?

Some hight THC strains are heady, meaning the stone starts in your head and stays there. Others offer a combo of head and body - this is likely the one you want - but again, much of it is how you take it. A friend tried many variations for example, CBD only, THC only, combo of the two, different strains - nearly gave up but tried moon rocks - which is bud covered in oil and rolled in kief. That works the best for him.

There is so much stigma surrounding medical marijuana. Nobody has ever died from weed unless it's laced with something - or you get behind the wheel and drive. THC is never fatal nor addictive - although one can feel like they will - but some can become reliant on it - this isn't true addiction.

If smoking weed is too much of a stigma, I would suggest trying edibles.

There are lots of videos on youtube, people that share their own stories of dealing with pain and what works for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmN8WMn7_bA
Old 06-09-2017, 01:45 PM

My brother and a close friend both suffer from a neurological diseases that affects their legs and feet. Both of them swear by the CBD stuff, it comes in an oil form to be taken orally. I watched my brother suffer for years and it was steadily getting worse. With the cannabis oil ( no THC, just CBD) he says its a whole new world.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:38 PM

Default thc...

THC will not help with nerve pain. For me it just intensified the nerve pain.

CBD may work.....but again, THC will only make it worse. I have tried a few times and the same result, no matter what strain.

Had to get a fusion & disc replacement after 3 years of life changing nerve pain....
Old 06-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Banned

Hi sns2,

It's worth a try, pain is a B****

You may want to contact these people, they will be able to answer your questions and possibly help you.

https://herbaldispatch.com/
Old 06-09-2017, 02:47 PM

I am a medical marijuana user, I have battled chronic back pain like others. I use both THC and CBD varieties. CBD knocks the pain away better than anything I've ever used, period.

I prefer smoking, but the oils work just as well, if not better.

my LP is Aurora based out of Cremona and i get anything I order same day.
If you are in Calgary, Harvest Medical deals with professionals.(587-356-3555)

I would never go back to any pharmaceuticals.

to wipe out the pain I'll burn a 50/50 mix of CBD and THC, with this I'm golden. As Silverdoctor stated you need to explore what works best for you, I find I come off of the Sativas far too quickly, so I like Indica's.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:02 PM

I have 2 torn ligaments in my right shoulder and was get pain all the way down to the wrist. I went in for IMS Wednesday and am on my second day of next to no pain. If it lasts for a week or two I would say it works the best. No drugs needed so far.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
to wipe out the pain I'll burn a 50/50 mix of CBD and THC, with this I'm golden.
So, for the crowd, which particular strains or names work best for you? And do you feel it just in the head or is it throughout the body?

Just curious about the different types of pain. I've got lower back pain due to fracture.
Old 06-09-2017, 03:41 PM

Natural Health Services in Calgary can help you out with a prescription. They have clinics in Medicine Hat and Edmonton as well. It took me 3 weeks to get in.

I severed one of my tendons and had it reattached. Using a high CBD Capsule daily (approx. 40mg). During the day I use a 9 ish CBD 4 THC Sativa dominant strain in a vaporizer. Night time use I have a high THC Indica for bed time (20% +).

If you use NHS they have a full team of people who can help you figure out which strains are best for you and the best way to use them. They sit you down and explain everything, help you sign up with a licensed producer and can answer almost any question you have about Marijuana.

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2017, 04:02 PM

Well this is something that has always intrigued me.
I have been sceptical that pot being labeled by pot heads as medicine was just a ploy however I have watched some shows and documentaries that simply prove how beneficial medical Marijuana is. With legalization stateside and in Canada products available and above ground research and funding is proving the seemingly endless benefits of medical marijuana.
My father in law has been on disability for spinal stenosis for near 10 years relying on heavy opioids to help combat the paid. about two years ago he decided to try medicinal marijuana and he is now fully off the pain killers for over a year he had a very long and serious withdrawal period.
He is taking some form of cbd oil with a bit of THC that he drops under his tounge, he found this combination to give him the most benefit and he really likes it. Relatively fast acting and takes the edge off of his paid. Day to day he is a much clearer person as when he was on the opioids he would be very confused and cloudy in conversations to be honest he is a much more positive person now as well.
I don't know that it will make your paid disappear but it might and is worth a try as it is much better for your health
Old 06-09-2017, 04:06 PM

Great thread. I was wondering about this recently as well due to a compressed disc I got while working at pine beetle fall and burn. Amazing how a guy can tune out pain but if it affects every aspect of a persons body including moods
Old 06-09-2017, 04:23 PM

Hey SNS I have same thing degenerative disc desease from C2 to C7 I started out taking tylonal 3's twice daily they did nothing for pain but did start to ruin my kidneys so I went cold turkey on pain killers. I saw a physiotherapist and got into a heavy neck/ shoulder exercise and stretching program that I suppliment with shooting my compound and lots of walking. It took a while but the pain started to subside and now is totally gone for long periods. Every once and awhile it will flair up but that is usually associated with me lying down with my head/neck bent in the wrong position while sleeping or watching TV. Good hard exercise has helped me but its not an immediate fix. I'm not a drug guy who knows what else its hurting.
Old 06-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Was going to start a thread on this last night, never got around to it. I'm no expert, but take it for what it is. Lots of friends on medical weed.

There are 2 main strains - sativa which is classified as daytime weed by some, and indica which is classed as nighttime weed. Then there are hybrid crosses between the two. Then you have to break it down to the different strains of sativa and indica - and each of these can have different levels of THC or CBD. There are other medicinal compounds in each strain.

CBD doesn't get a person stoned, THC does. There is so much to go through and understand when it comes to medical marijuana.

CBD alone may or may not work for you. THC alone may or may not work for you. One strain of sativa may not work for you but another will so it's not something that you can try once and claim it to not work. Smoking marijuana may not work for you - but ingesting it through another medium like brownies or cookies may. Others get relief from topicals that you apply to the skin. Clear as mud?

Some hight THC strains are heady, meaning the stone starts in your head and stays there. Others offer a combo of head and body - this is likely the one you want - but again, much of it is how you take it. A friend tried many variations for example, CBD only, THC only, combo of the two, different strains - nearly gave up but tried moon rocks - which is bud covered in oil and rolled in kief. That works the best for him.

There is so much stigma surrounding medical marijuana. Nobody has ever died from weed unless it's laced with something - or you get behind the wheel and drive. THC is never fatal nor addictive - although one can feel like they will - but some can become reliant on it - this isn't true addiction.

If smoking weed is too much of a stigma, I would suggest trying edibles.

There are lots of videos on youtube, people that share their own stories of dealing with pain and what works for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmN8WMn7_bA
This is good information and something that anyone with any chronic pain should at least check into!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 06-09-2017, 05:48 PM

I started my prescription for medical recently, about 3 months ago, and wish I would have done it sooner. Tylenol, robax or other pain killers were what I had to rely on when my back was in pain. Fractured 2 vertebra from fall 2 story's at work and it acts up regularly. Opioids never really had much of an effect on the pain, at least that's been my experience. Now it gets mailed to the door and works much better than pills. I would recommend a vaporizer though as it is much cleaner and smells much better. There has been a stigma about cannibis for a long time and it's not for everything or everybody but my personal experience has been very positive. My back rarely acts up at all now. Started at natural health services in edmonton.
Old 06-09-2017, 05:57 PM

I also agree with Silverdoc. Indica oil drops under the tongue, sweet dreams !! I did get the munchies from this stuff and I'm not new to weed.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:09 PM
Banned

I've been using a higher THC indica strain via a vaporizer for a few months to help with some sleep apnea related problems. It works much better than I ever expected for that Based on my doctor's recommendation I've also tried both THC and CBD oils as they are longer lasting. I find with the high THC oils or edibles that finding the dose is tricky, I've over done it a couple times which is pretty unpleasant. The CBD oil is magic for pain though, I have a minor issue with my lower back from time to time and .3ml of Cantrust's 25mg/ml oil has much more impact than something like Robaxacett ever has.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I've been using a higher THC indica strain via a vaporizer for a few months to help with some sleep apnea related problems.
For apnea related issues? Interesting. I'm sure others on here will be intrigued by this.

As a side note... Producers are pretty cool, they are doing alot to bypass the stigma of marijuana - through edibles and drinkables.

You can buy tea, honey, iced tea mix, hot chocolate mix, peanut butter bars, mint bars, brownies. Heck, you can buy weed laced suckers and gummy bears.
Some people infuse butter, others infuse it with coconut oil. The applications of what you can bake are endless.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
I've been using a higher THC indica strain via a vaporizer for a few months to help with some sleep apnea related problems. It works much better than I ever expected for that Based on my doctor's recommendation I've also tried both THC and CBD oils as they are longer lasting. I find with the high THC oils or edibles that finding the dose is tricky, I've over done it a couple times which is pretty unpleasant. The CBD oil is magic for pain though, I have a minor issue with my lower back from time to time and .3ml of Cantrust's 25mg/ml oil has much more impact than something like Robaxacett ever has.
25mg. seems too work for a good sleep. What is unpleasant about taking too much ? Stomach buzz ? Functionality, or head buzz ? Just curious, i haven't hit that overboard spot yet.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

I had mind numbing pain from a pinched nerve or slipped disc in January. I laid on my back in bed for 5 weeks. Couldn't stand or sit. After the 3weeks or so, I had a fellow supply me with some medical marijuana. It did nothing for the pain. Had another fellow supply me with some "good chit" marijuana. That did nothing for the pain.
After 5 weeks it just seemed to get better one day and after about a week most of the pain was gone. I still have some numbness in my thigh, but it was like a miracle or something.
But marijuana did nothing for my pain. I did get buzzed though.
What seemed to work the best for my pain was a pain release ointment that i rubbed on my back and thigh called SAJE. Also lying on a vibrating/massaging back pad helped. I'm sitting on it now, as I read this thread.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I had mind numbing pain from a pinched nerve or slipped disc in January. I laid on my back in bed for 5 weeks. Couldn't stand or sit. After the 3weeks or so, I had a fellow supply me with some medical marijuana. It did nothing for the pain. Had another fellow supply me with some "good chit" marijuana. That did nothing for the pain.
After 5 weeks it just seemed to get better one day and after about a week most of the pain was gone. I still have some numbness in my thigh, but it was like a miracle or something.
But marijuana did nothing for my pain. I did get buzzed though.
What seemed to work the best for my pain was a pain release ointment that i rubbed on my back and thigh called SAJE. Also lying on a vibrating/massaging back pad helped. I'm sitting on it now, as I read this thread.
So ! Marijuana numbness, does nothing for your numbness ?
Old 06-09-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Peripheral Neuropathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
My brother and a close friend both suffer from a neurological diseases that affects their legs and feet. Both of them swear by the CBD stuff, it comes in an oil form to be taken orally. I watched my brother suffer for years and it was steadily getting worse. With the cannabis oil ( no THC, just CBD) he says its a whole new world.
Just a follow up, Peripheral neuropathy is what my bro is dealing with. The CBD oil has been great for him.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habfan View Post
25mg. seems too work for a good sleep. What is unpleasant about taking too much ? Stomach buzz ? Functionality, or head buzz ? Just curious, i haven't hit that overboard spot yet.
For me, puked my guts up, spent 4 hours locked up in a body stone. Wish someone had told me "don't hold it in!".
Old 06-09-2017, 11:38 PM

I just started using it for my osteoarthritis and insomnia, it has done wonders. It has taken the pain away a lot better than any of the pills I've had. As far having to much the affects everyone differently some people get light headed others get nauseous and some get sick. The key is starting small and increasing the dose till you find what works for you.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-10-2017, 12:06 AM

I watched a friend pass from a savage type of cancer that took him in 4 months. He told me on a few occasions the one drug that didn't make him sick, the one drug that didn't make him hallucinate, the one drug that allowed him to relax somewhat and be coherent was his cannabis. He had a powerful oil he ingested and it helped him above anything else.

Im a believer and can't wait to see the benefits others will get from its many uses.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:14 AM

Regardless the comments now best chat with Doc and give it a try.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-10-2017, 04:57 AM

I don't know if there is anyone in the Edmonton area that would be willing to allow me to try a few drops of the CBD oil. If there are, shoot me a pm.

I just want to thank everyone who has posted. Rarely does any thread on the General Discussion Forum, that is on a controversial topic, have such civil interaction. I appreciate you guys keeping it on track, as obviously I am not the only person who may be in this situation. Please keep the discussion going, as we are learning a fair bit.