Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 01:19 PM

Default Another washing machine question

Kenmore top load washing machine that is probably 10 years old or so. Damn good machine except its developed a small glitch.

When it fills up and runs thru the first wash / agitation cycle it works good. Then when it hits the pump out cycle right after, the switch/timer goes "click" and the pump doesn't fire up. Before I was just giving it a rap on the top but the last 2 times I have to give it a slight hip check.

I was thinking switch is shot but then I am wondering if the pump is going? Then I was thinking ripping the back off and checking all wire connections for looseness or corrosion.

I checked level on it before I fired it up 30 minutes ago and its good.

Thoughts??
Old 02-16-2020, 01:28 PM

Default Washing macine

Gearbox not letting it shift to spin and pump check UTube Maytag washers
Old 02-16-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehunter View Post
Kenmore top load washing machine that is probably 10 years old or so. Damn good machine except its developed a small glitch.

When it fills up and runs thru the first wash / agitation cycle it works good. Then when it hits the pump out cycle right after, the switch/timer goes "click" and the pump doesn't fire up. Before I was just giving it a rap on the top but the last 2 times I have to give it a slight hip check.

I was thinking switch is shot but then I am wondering if the pump is going? Then I was thinking ripping the back off and checking all wire connections for looseness or corrosion.

I checked level on it before I fired it up 30 minutes ago and its good.

Thoughts??

Check the door switch. If you decide to go into the machine, YouTube it first. I made the mistake of attempting a rear entry one time that resulted in a couple hours of frustration. Many machines, after removing a couple of screws, are front entry.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:49 PM

Throw some Seafoam in her on the next load...
Old 02-16-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis wood View Post
Gearbox not letting it shift to spin and pump check UTube Maytag washers
Wouldn't that be consistent then? Its only in the first pump out after the first agitation cycle ( SAY 10 MINUTES) then when it rinses it works fine.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Throw some Seafoam in her on the next load...
Gas mileage and compression is still good
Old 02-16-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Check the door switch. If you decide to go into the machine, YouTube it first. I made the mistake of attempting a rear entry one time that resulted in a couple hours of frustration. Many machines, after removing a couple of screws, are front entry.
I played with it 2 weeks ago and as far as I can tell its fine.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Gas mileage and compression is still good
I’m stumped then.... lol
Old 02-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Banned

Is there a separate belt goes to the pump
Old 02-16-2020, 05:53 PM

Kenmore washers were made by at least 3 different manufactures. Whirlpool, GE or Fridgidaire. All 3 are very different in the way they are built. I suggest to find an actual appliance technician to fix this one.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:35 AM

So the pump does not work at all anymore?
Pull the kick plate off and look at the belt. Is belt is not melted then it's likely the keyway in the pump where the motor shaft goes in. Pop it off and look if the hub is rounded out by the shaft
Old 02-17-2020, 11:41 AM

It works but not right after the wash cycle. So fill with water,does the agitation thing,then the pump wont kick in,give it a hip check and it works,pumps out,fills with rinse water, agitates ,now the pump works on its own and pumps out the rinse water then it does the spin thing.

Its only at the first pump out that its getting stubborn. I don't think this has a belt on it,from the vids it looks like a electric pump, but I need to find a good parts diagram/schematic.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerfish View Post
Is there a separate belt goes to the pump
I don't think so,I finally found a vid last night and have to take it apart yet.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Found a vid last night..you just may be correct on that one. Looks like the console comes off then the front and sides lift away in one piece. Gotta play with it more.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It works but not right after the wash cycle. So fill with water,does the agitation thing,then the pump wont kick in,give it a hip check and it works,pumps out,fills with rinse water, agitates ,now the pump works on its own and pumps out the rinse water then it does the spin thing.

Its only at the first pump out that its getting stubborn. I don't think this has a belt on it,from the vids it looks like a electric pump, but I need to find a good parts diagram/schematic.
It can't be the lid switch if it is agitating.
Shouldn't be the board if violence helps (unless it's an ancient one with knobs)
It can't be the pump if it's works fine farther in the cycle.
Can't be the pressure switch if it stops filling
I'm stumped
Old 02-17-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
It can't be the lid switch if it is agitating.
Shouldn't be the board if violence helps (unless it's an ancient one with knobs)
It can't be the pump if it's works fine farther in the cycle.
Can't be the pressure switch if it stops filling
I'm stumped
Ah... this one has knobs on it. Which leads me to think its the control knob/timer. I tried it in different time cycles..normal (10 minutes) Heavy duty (heavy duty 14 minutes cycle) and its the same. Wont work after the first wash cycle but works fine from there on. Its a Kenmore model 110 if that helps.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:39 PM

If it's got a timer, then it's most likely the contacts in the timer. May be something you can repair yourself.
I found a video that might help. httpss://youtu.be/Qbad91EEbzo
Old 02-17-2020, 06:48 PM

Interesting vid. Before I try that I should probably order up a new timer/ cycle control. To me if the pump was gone it shouldn't work at all. When it first started doing it about 2 months ago I just gave it a rap on top of the console with my hand and it worked. I thought of loose wiring but with the locks on the plastic plugins nowadays that wasn't really making a whole lot of sense.