Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2020, 11:18 AM

Default My green thermostat isnt doing a thing

According to Nest stats I am in the top 45% of energy saving based on the temperatures we have in the house. Temperature settings which should translate to savings.
Electricity used for 36 days ending January 23 at 5.9 cents per kilowatt hour $55.
Transmission and delivery charges $168???
Why do I feel ripped off?
Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
According to Nest stats I am in the top 45% of energy saving based on the temperatures we have in the house. Temperature settings which should translate to savings.
Electricity used for 36 days ending January 23 at 5.9 cents per kilowatt hour $55.
dont forget to add the carbon tax ...
Old 02-15-2020, 11:44 AM

With the de regulated market the prices to convey the commodity to the end user is often the bigger cost.

In the old days of the regulated market the transmission and distribution costs were imbedded into the price per unit..... now it’s an individual line item.

Maintaining infrastructure to transmit and distribute is an expensive affair, Mother Nature constantly raises havoc with it, and with the never ending demands of shorter or no interruptions in service, it now requires expensive equipment and high talent personnel to perform these tasks...... hence the high costs.

In other words, cheap labour and cheap tools aren’t found when doing stuff like live line work.

See here:
https://youtu.be/FGoaXZwFlJ4

https://youtu.be/KrQ17myzSFw

There are no absolutes
Old 02-15-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Cause you are. Just like everything else in this awesome country of ours you will be told to pay and you will. That seems to be the Canadian way. Resistance is futile, you will and have been assimilated. You are told to pay and what to do even if you don't agree, you will still conform. Am I wrong? By the way, I don't have a green thermostat. I have a white one and it does the same thing.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:30 PM

Default I agree it is the deregulated market Dick

but considering most of the infrastructure was in place prior to deregulation I suspect this Fortis delivery and transmission charge which is 4 times the cost of the product sold is creating quit a slush fund (or advance payment of new construction) after maintenance costs are deducted for someone.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
but considering most of the infrastructure was in place prior to deregulation I suspect this Fortis delivery and transmission charge which is 4 times the cost of the product sold is creating quit a slush fund (or advance payment of new construction) after maintenance costs are deducted for someone.
The lucky people are those still part of the REA , they own the infrastructure , most sold out to ATCO decades ago.

Grizz
Old 02-15-2020, 02:17 PM

Think your ripped off now? Just wait till they have to change the whole grid to allow for you and all your neighbours to plug in all your electric vehicles at the same time. I'm thinking, the 1.21 gigawatts are supplied by a plutonium-powered nuclear fission reactor and, with the absence of plutonium, a bolt of lightning channeled directly into the flux capacitor by a long pole and hook into the car would be enough of a charge to get us to at least 88 mph . Or maybe they should be pushing Hydrogen fuel?
Old 02-15-2020, 04:00 PM

Sure it is, it made Google some profit!

That being said, I like the remote-monitoring features for people who travel, it’s good that they can monitor their homes temperature while they’re away. The units can even alert them automatically if the temp is low, which gives them time to arrange a friend/relative to get a service tech out.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 AM

My green thermostat isnt doing a thing

Climate Change solved?
Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Cause you are. Just like everything else in this awesome country of ours you will be told to pay and you will. That seems to be the Canadian way. Resistance is futile, you will and have been assimilated. You are told to pay and what to do even if you don't agree, you will still conform. Am I wrong? By the way, I don't have a green thermostat. I have a white one and it does the same thing.
This, you will feel much better once you give up all hope.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipper Billy View Post
My green thermostat isnt doing a thing

Climate Change solved?
Hate to tell you but your carbon tax isn't doing a thing either

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Because you are? It would seem from those numbers that you have a rural service line so you pay T&D on a theoretical amount of electricity you could consume based on your service size regardless of your actual usage. Your urban compatriots do not have that problem - if they reduce the amount of electricity they consume they also reduce the amount of T&D they pay.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Not only was the infrastructure in place, but in many cases it was also already paid for by the landowner that wanted it put in there.