Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Co-op to be limiting fuel purchased due to illegal unifor blockade.
So why aren't the RCMP arresting everyone that violates the court order? When it's over Coop should sue Unifor for lost revenue, due to their illegal actions.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Co-op to be limiting fuel purchased due to illegal unifor blockade.

I got the cardlock email this am, COOP limited my fuel purchase to 300 l for diesel and 100 l for gas. Is this the same with gas stations?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Ya co-op offered an almost 12% raise to cover the 4% they want the employees to start contributing to their pensions. No other co-op employee is having that 4% covered, nor are they being offered any wage increase. Both deals, the current one, or the one that's offered, is available for any other co-op employee.
Is that for a 1 year contract or multi year? Makes a big difference.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Not sure what this has to do with Alberta labor laws.......... the lock out is at the co-op refinery in Regina Saskatchewan
opps missed that!!

Regardless of where it is, allowing temp workers during a contract dispute only makes it go on longer than necessary.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Is that for a 1 year contract or multi year? Makes a big difference.
It's over 4 years. But the first year would almost equal what they've been getting. What they're on strike trying to dispute. They're being offered a better deal, and for some reason, unifor doesn't like it.
Old 02-04-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy View Post
I got the cardlock email this am, COOP limited my fuel purchase to 300 l for diesel and 100 l for gas. Is this the same with gas stations?
Just card locks I believe. Larger quantities than your typical $50 to fill.
Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 PM

I have to hope that both sides come together and realize neither side is winning. Workers are a companies greatest asset. On the other side the company is the one risking money to create a business and generate jobs. Without either...
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-05-2020, 07:53 AM

Quote:
It's over 4 years. But the first year would almost equal what they've been getting. What they're on strike trying to dispute. They're being offered a better deal, and for some reason, unifor doesn't like it.
Remember also that anything they put into their pension is treated as a RRSP so they get tax back on it.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:53 AM

It seems that the gloves have come off in this strike, now someone is vandalizing Co-op managers homes. Obviously that is far beyond reasonable and the offender or offenders should be jailed for an extensive period when caught. This is the result of Dias whipping up rhetoric. If the striking workers can’t find the culprit among themselves I have no sympathy if the lot of them are fired and the place goes non-union. Here’s hoping the idiot/terrorist had their cell phone on them while vandalizing and was pinging at each location.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pol...lized-1.479847
Old 02-06-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It seems that the gloves have come off in this strike, now someone is vandalizing Co-op managers homes. Obviously that is far beyond reasonable and the offender or offenders should be jailed for an extensive period when caught. This is the result of Dias whipping up rhetoric. If the striking workers can’t find the culprit among themselves I have no sympathy if the lot of them are fired and the place goes non-union. Here’s hoping the idiot/terrorist had their cell phone on them while vandalizing and was pinging at each location.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/mobile/pol...lized-1.479847
If the police see someone with what appears to be a firearm, they need to do a tactical take down, and not worry about being gentle with the suspects.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6511038/h...aintballs-crc/
Old 02-06-2020, 08:19 AM

I heard some air bags on the co-op trucks were slashed too.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Remember also that anything they put into their pension is treated as a RRSP so they get tax back on it.
I believe they can contribute 6% of their own money that will be matched by federated. Then they can contribute another 6% of their own money. So they could invest their 12% wage increase for a total of 18% into their pension and gain, and save more. They are being offered a better deal. I'm not sure how they are benefiting from this union?
Old 02-06-2020, 09:16 AM

Default shopping at co op

Lately I find myself shopping a lot more at co op, fuel - gas and diesel, groceries, car washes and booze. I find they run a very good operation, new buildings, good locations, good selection of products and friendly staff. Have been shopping at ufa for years and am thinking of buying a membership at co op and switching some of my purchases there. All I can say is thanks Unifor and Gerry Diaz to opening my eyes to the well run business Co op is...
Old 02-06-2020, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Exactly and the 6% they receive from Coop just goes in and out so it is not taxed until they pull it out after they retire like everyone else with RRSPs.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:52 AM

The Regina police having finally stepped up and stopped the illegal blockade of the refinery.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:32 PM

It seems that the RPS are upholding the rule of law: https://leaderpost.com/news/local-ne...co-op-refinery

Of course, the union is protesting that the police and the laws work only for the employer.

The judiciary, on the other hand, reserves a decision, whatever that means.

I worked as a member of a union. However, I believe in the rule of law. The protestors at the Co-op refinery should obey the court order(s) or be arrested. The leaders of the Local and National Union should be arrested and incarcerated until the judicial decisions are obeyed.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
opps missed that!!

Regardless of where it is, allowing temp workers during a contract dispute only makes it go on longer than necessary.
Depends on what is ‘necessary’ .

I get tired of hearing ‘management won’t bargain in good faith ‘ which, translated = union gives demands and management doesn’t just agree to them
Old 02-12-2020, 05:54 PM

Judge just slapped unifor today with another fine for contempt $250,000 am sure next one will be bigger

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Judge just slapped unifor today with another fine for contempt $250,000 am sure next one will be bigger
They need to add at least one more zero, two would be even better.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Why would the judge let Unifor decide who the fine gets paid to?

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Why would the judge let Unifor decide who the fine gets paid to?

ARG
I think they gave them an option to donate half of the fine to a designated charity
Old 02-15-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I think they gave them an option to donate half of the fine to a designated charity
But why? Why let them come off looking like good guys instead of the criminal thugs that they are acting like? According to the article, the defendants asked for this, they know it is good PR.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:10 PM

Quote:
But why? Why let them come off looking like good guys instead of the criminal thugs that they are acting like? According to the article, the defendants asked for this, they know it is good PR.

ARG
Fits right in with the "progressive" agenda
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:23 PM

Quote:

ARG
Just to make the blood curdle a little more, wonder if this is the 'designated charity?'

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/about

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-15-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Just to make the blood curdle a little more, wonder if this is the 'designated charity?'

http://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/en/about
And Trudeau will see that Dias gets it back.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:04 PM

One of the groups that crossed the picket line were labeled as scabs and has there video posted on line. Dias feels they have no right to cross the line but they say if the do not they are braking their contract with the Coop and would be terminated. They are not in Unifor so no strike pay for them if they stay out. They have a lawyer now and are suing Unifor for deformation for posting the video and labeling them as scabs.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:21 AM

If they really want to see what a scab looks like they only need to post a pic of Jerry Dias

Old 02-25-2020, 12:47 PM

So it's been 7 days now since a special mediator was appointed and not a word since, ??????????/ wander are they talking or not, can't find any news lines newer than Feb 18 ?? maybe all the media was called back to Toronto after the earth shattering disaster there when the zamboni driving beating the Loafs

Old 04-30-2020, 09:12 AM

Bit of an update.

The union, the mediator, and the company met and the mediator came out with a proposal. The union agreed to it and the company rejected it. The company made another offer to the union will vote on it.

There is an article in yesterdays Star Phoenix about it titled Union says Co-op offer will be strongly rejected. It is beyond my computer skills to post the article here.

The turnaround is still scheduled for May 15. They better have this matter taken care of before then.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:18 PM

I was told the offer was a mail in vote and it was turned down by 89% of the members. So they are still striking.