Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 AM

Default An Odd Request...Does anyone read handwritten Polish?

Wondering if any of our members can read handwritten polish? It might be russian too. The reason for my request is I have to old pictures with writing on the back of them. They have importance to my family tree.

If you do read either of these languages maybe I could PM you a picture of the writing.

I unfortunately don't read either language. I thought the AO forums might have a translator resource. Couldn't find a translator online that would work with the pictures.

Thanks

Red Bullets
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Wondering if any of our members can read handwritten polish? It might be russian too. The reason for my request is I have to old pictures with writing on the back of them. They have importance to my family tree.

If you do read either of these languages maybe I could PM you a picture of the writing.

I unfortunately don't read either language. I thought the AO forums might have a translator resource. Couldn't find a translator online that would work with the pictures.

Thanks

Red Bullets
sand the pict thx
Old 09-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Wasn't sure how to post a pic in a PM so I will just post them here and hopefully someone is able to PM me the translations. Thanks for the responses.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pic 1.JPG (150.4 KB, 289 views)
File Type: jpg pic 2.JPG (89.6 KB, 243 views)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-18-2017, 12:16 PM

Seeing the "i" in the writing I know it is not Russian...the Russian alphabet does not have an "i"....could be Polish...they are quite similar so someone who could read either one should be able to translate...I lost my Russian reading ability year's ago.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:18 PM

That would be Ukrainian language
Old 09-18-2017, 12:20 PM

I did make out "Photographs" on the top of the second picture
Old 09-18-2017, 12:55 PM

You could try typing it into google translate.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:35 PM

That isn't Russian or polish, that looks ukranian to me.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:42 PM

on a smartphone google translate lets you hover the camera over the image and it tries to translate it right on the phone screen. give give that a try. probably wont work with hand written stuff but worth a shot.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:43 PM

Russian and Ukrainian are both written in the Cyrillic alphabet, an eastern alphabet that has no similarity to our own. This writing is not in Cyrillic, therefore it is neither Russian nor Ukrainian. I recognize a few words that may be Polish, but my reading of Polish is limited to typed text. I could not read either of my parents' Polish writing.

Vic
Old 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM

I agree with KGB. With the exception of a single letter "i", all other letters are proper handwritten Cyrillic, maybe "K" is written as a Latin version too, hard to see .
Looks like Ukrainian to me, at least few words I can make out, like "Просимо", name "Иванку" sounds Ukrainian as well.

Or some other Slavic language, but not Russian

Last edited by ak-71; 09-18-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Wasn't sure how to post a pic in a PM so I will just post them here and hopefully someone is able to PM me the translations. Thanks for the responses.
Possibly one of the Balkans states? Any former CF members here recognize the script?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:53 PM

Slovakian
Old 09-18-2017, 08:03 PM

Sent to a friend who's fluent in polish and Slovak, and knows something of most Slavic languages. I'll let you know either in a post or pm.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
Russian and Ukrainian are both written in the Cyrillic alphabet, an eastern alphabet that has no similarity to our own. This writing is not in Cyrillic, therefore it is neither Russian nor Ukrainian. I recognize a few words that may be Polish, but my reading of Polish is limited to typed text. I could not read either of my parents' Polish writing.

Vic
I will bet you $50 just for the heck of it that it is written in a perfect Cyrillic alphabet. I'm sure that AK -71 will throw in another $50!
We will then go and have a few shots of vodka - and you are invited!
Old 09-18-2017, 09:37 PM

What about serbo-croat
Old 09-18-2017, 09:41 PM

Its not in Slovak for sure. We use latin alphabet.

Sent from my SM-G850W using Tapatalk
Old 09-18-2017, 10:10 PM

It seems that the letter m has a line above it in several od the words. I believe these are called a macron

Is this wtitten in Kurrent?

Kurrent is an old form of German-language handwriting based on late medieval cursive writing, also known as Kurrentschrift, Alte Deutsche Schrift ("old German script") and German cursive. Over the history of its use into the first part of the 20th century, many individual letters acquired variant forms.
Wiki link here

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurrent
Old 09-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I will bet you $50 just for the heck of it that it is written in a perfect Cyrillic alphabet. I'm sure that AK -71 will throw in another $50!
We will then go and have a few shots of vodka - and you are invited!
That would be highly unethical of me, but free 50$ and vodka...

Ukrainian is the only language using "i" along with Cyrillic alphabet that I can think of.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:16 PM

my vote is for ukrainian as well. polish is using latin alphabet, this is cyrillic.
btw "i" that is "not russian" as someone mentioned - all depends on the date of the writing. for a while cyrillic had both "i" and "и".

to the OP - sorry while i can understand spoken ukrainian and even can read some, i'm not 100 fluent, and with the quality of the photos i can't be much help

ak-71, belarussian language also using "i". probably some eastern slavik languages as well. maybe bulgarian...
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
my vote is for ukrainian as well. polish is using latin alphabet, this is cyrillic.
btw "i" that is "not russian" as someone mentioned - all depends on the date of the writing. for a while cyrillic had both "i" and "и".

to the OP - sorry while i can understand spoken ukrainian and even can read some, i'm not 100 fluent, and with the quality of the photos i can't be much help
I think Ukrainian still use "i". Older Russian alphabet used another funny letter absent in this text.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 PM

Ok this is fun...

In Russian cursive, as well as in some others based on the Cyrillic script (for example, Bulgarian), a lowercase Т looks like a lowercase m, and a macron is often used to distinguish it from Ш, which looks like a lowercase w (see Т). Some writers also underline the letter ш to reduce ambiguity further.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post

ak-71, belarussian language also using "i". probably some eastern slavik languages as well. maybe bulgarian...
You are right about Belarussian, Bulgarian doesn't use "i", I just looked it up.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-71 View Post
You are right about Belarussian, Bulgarian doesn't use "i", I just looked it up.
lol, i'm from belarus, i should know

ukrainian actually using both "i" and "и" and they even sound differently.

OP, the first letter is actually more legible. seems like regular correspondence between friends or family members.
"Comrade Ivan(ko), i hope this letter finds you and your family in good health..." kind of deal.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:35 PM

Such an innocent post, yet it uncovered most of FSB agents stationed in Alberta
Old 09-18-2017, 11:06 PM

doh, i think those agents are losing qualifications if they fall for something so simple and innocent.

lol
Old 09-18-2017, 11:39 PM

Ok we will take AK77 into the vodka party. He is one of us....
But only one condition: he is bringing the caviar....
Old 09-19-2017, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the dialogue folks. I thought it might be written in ukrainian so I will see if a ukrainian minister I know can read the notes.

Interesting how two 100+ year old handwritten messages of unknown family origin bring together a brothership of vodka and caviar in the new millennium.
Can I come? I will bring the borscht for borscht/vodka shooters and sauerkraut perogies.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:22 AM
Banned

Dai Bozhe
Old 09-19-2017, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the dialogue folks. I thought it might be written in ukrainian so I will see if a ukrainian minister I know can read the notes.

Interesting how two 100+ year old handwritten messages of unknown family origin bring together a brothership of vodka and caviar in the new millennium.
Can I come? I will bring the borscht for borscht/vodka shooters and sauerkraut perogies.
Well let's see: I'm in Edmonton and AK-71 is in Calgary, we don't know where AK77 is.... yeah I think we can meet at your place in central Alberta. I do like borscht a lot!! It's all depends on how RED are your bullets, LOL!!