Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 PM
Banned

Enough drama on this thread for a pride parade.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No, you should not smash anybody's window. Take the vehicle description/tag into Costco and ask them to page the owner....if that doesn't work... Call authorities and let them deal with the situation.
I Strongly disagree with this ^^

Maybe 2yrs ago I would do the walk into store & do the
paging thing. NO more though, enough messages have gotten
out I feel & now I phone cops immediately. This is the only way these idiots learn nowadays!
Old 09-17-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Yep break the glass and have the dog cut itself on the glass.

Anyway bigshot you keep playing hero, one day you might rescue the wrong dog
Wow.
People have been banned for saying way less offensive stuff, and they weren't even half the troll that you are. Impressive.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
First I would go into Costco and have them announce the plate number, make model and color of the veheicle, then the color of poodle suffering in the vehicle. Tell them they have 2 minutes before forced extrication is involved.
Baby, kid or elderly person in obvious distress there would be no question.
Yes I am saying human life overrides canine, do not jump down my throat if you are a furmomma or furpoppa. The good samaritan act does not protect you in the case of 4 legged pets.
This^^^
Depending on the severity of the animal I would just tell them to get outside immediately and then judge myself according to the animals condition as to when the vehicle would get opened.

My $.02
Old 09-17-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Yep break the glass and have the dog cut itself on the glass.

Anyway bigshot you keep playing hero, one day you might rescue the wrong dog
Big man, big shot, hero...

Sorry if I offended you Miss. Are you against the entire male race or just guys that offer a suggestion? Everything in this thread is based on speculation but you seem to be taking it pretty personally, not sure what got your panties all wadded up. Maybe eat some chocolate and chill out a bit.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
I Strongly disagree with this ^^

Maybe 2yrs ago I would do the walk into store & do the
paging thing. NO more though, enough messages have gotten
out I feel & now I phone cops immediately. This is the only way these idiots learn nowadays!
Have a dog that spent most of the first 6 years of her life in a suburban. Driving high level to Edm. 2hrs each way to work. 6/7 days a week she would be in there with me.

One August moved camp to cutoff creek. 5 hr drive. Hot day. Not a pleasant drive hauling gear/dogs/dust etc. Get there and after 30minutes of unloading crap where's the dog? Snuck back into the suburban for a nap. On an August afternoon. A malamute. After an unpleasant 5hr drive. Voluntarily.

The arrogance of people these days who always know better. Maybe just maybe you don't know everything.

Car could be the only kennel that dog knows. Who knows.

Maybe If it's unresponsive do something but seriously try giving people the benefit of the doubt sometime.

Also if someone were concerned with the quickest extraction of that dog I fail to see how calling the police is faster than paging inside a store anyway or breaking said window (dumb/illegal). Now if someone wanted to wag a finger in someone's nose with a perceived moral superiority then I get it.
Old 09-17-2017, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post

"I fail to see how calling the police is ..
..Well, at least we both agree then..you fail.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Back in the 90s my parents used to leave me in the car no problem
Lol. Were the windows (almost) closed?
Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 AM
Banned

I would mind my own business.

I've had the cops pull me over before because some idiot reported that my dogs were in distress in my vehicle. They were not. The dogs had water and there were open vents. Idiots didn't realize that.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:17 AM

Glad I don't live in the city where everyone thinks animals are so fragile. Heaven forbid the op ever saw the saint bernard "stressed" at my parents place with her tongue hanging out and enough drool that you could fill an ice cream pail in no time, and this is while being outside in the open air. And how is it that a dog's life is so much more important than the mouse that a cat will torture for long periods at a time? I can just imagine the OP trying to teach the cat not to do what nature intended.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Lol. Were the windows (almost) closed?
Yes and I was instructed not to open the doors/windows for anyone but my parents. A hard concept for people these days.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:40 AM
Banned

What about this for the window smashers - If the window is open a bit, go get a coat hanger or a tig rod or something and hit the unlock button if you really really really wanna rescue the dog?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:11 AM

Not necessarily in direct response to OP, but I recently got my first dog. I live in the country and she comes with me on trips into the city. I have a 2014 Ram with command start and A/C. I leave her in my truck with the truck running and A/C on. I'm always paranoid some SJW is going to smash my windows and 'save' my dog.

Strange times to live in!
Old 09-18-2017, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by berolak View Post
Not necessarily in direct response to OP, but I recently got my first dog. I live in the country and she comes with me on trips into the city. I have a 2014 Ram with command start and A/C. I leave her in my truck with the truck running and A/C on. I'm always paranoid some SJW is going to smash my windows and 'save' my dog.

Strange times to live in!
Same, my truck can be started/stopped/locked/unlocked from my phone but I am paranoid to leave my dogs in it for that same reason. "feels" overcome logic these days.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:35 AM

My Question is.. why take a dog somewhere that you know it's going to stay in the car unattended for extended periods? Costco isn't a place you "make a quick stop".

IMHO.. With pets.. If that dog dies in their car.. So be it. Kids are a whole different ball game.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Here's your answer - What to do when finding a pet in an unattended vehicle
Old 09-18-2017, 09:15 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezel View Post
ok, now que the;
'when seconds count, the RCMP are hours away' gang.

Chorus!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-18-2017, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
ok, now que the;
'when seconds count, the RCMP are hours away' gang.

Chorus!
Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM

If it is a hot day, I call the cops.

I did just this when it was +25 out and the dog was clearly in distress. The cops (and a fire truck) showed up. The owner came out of the store pretty darn quick to give a clearly distressed dog some water and relief from the heat. My wife and I gave the guy 15 minutes to come out before we made the call. Seeing as we were at a location with multiple stores we couldn't tell which store they were in so had to call the police instead.

I love the tough guys "smashed glass = smashed face". That is so dumb, guess what, if you did that you would still have a broken window, you would end up being arrested and probably a couple thousand dollars lighter.

The cops are not going to side with the violent attacker over the guy who pulled a distressed animal out of a car - it doesn't matter if the dog/cat/person was fine. Also, if you have guns (which I would assume if you frequent this site) they are now at risk.

I would think that most people would be smart enough to tell that a car/truck has the AC on but you never know.

If you have A/C on for who ever is in your car I think that is fine.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Find a dog in what you perceive distress? Do as mentioned, have the store make an announcement and call 911. Let the owner deal with the cops.

Couple weeks ago I went to Walmart at 7:30 am on a cool Saturday morning. Took the wife's rat dog(Chihuahua) for a ride. I parked beside an older bitty and we got out at the same time, rolled down 2 windows a bit and got out. I hadn't even closed the door before she started her rant that I better not be going shopping for 2 hours with the dog in the car. I looked at her and said not interested in your opinion and I will be back before you. I only had to get some batteries for the trail cam. So in 5 mins or less I was back and left a note on her wiper.....I win, back before you. Dog was still smiling