Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 04:03 PM

Default Here is an ethics question for you

So here is short story to line up my question. Today I had to go to Costco, when I parked I noticed the vehicle beside me had a miniature poodle in it with the windows barely down an inch. Went inside to get some bread turned out the bread I was looking for was sold at superstore not Costco so I returned to the car (give or take 15 min later) Truck was still there but now the poodle looked as though it was in "distress" (you could tell it was getting hot it was panting a lot and trying to stick its head out the window) my car was pretty hot from just the 15 min.
So here is the question: Should I take it upon myself seeing that this animal is in distress and smash the window out of this truck and let the dog out and possibly take it to a vet or animal control or something?
Old 09-17-2017, 04:13 PM

No, you should not smash anybody's window. Take the vehicle description/tag into Costco and ask them to page the owner....if that doesn't work... Call authorities and let them deal with the situation.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
No, you should not smash anybody's window. Take the vehicle description/tag into Costco and ask them to page the owner....if that doesn't work... Call authorities and let them deal with the situation.
This.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:16 PM

First I would go into Costco and have them announce the plate number, make model and color of the veheicle, then the color of poodle suffering in the vehicle. Tell them they have 2 minutes before forced extrication is involved.
Baby, kid or elderly person in obvious distress there would be no question.
Yes I am saying human life overrides canine, do not jump down my throat if you are a furmomma or furpoppa. The good samaritan act does not protect you in the case of 4 legged pets.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stustage View Post
So here is short story to line up my question. Today I had to go to Costco, when I parked I noticed the vehicle beside me had a miniature poodle in it with the windows barely down an inch. Went inside to get some bread turned out the bread I was looking for was sold at superstore not Costco so I returned to the car (give or take 15 min later) Truck was still there but now the poodle looked as though it was in "distress" (you could tell it was getting hot it was panting a lot and trying to stick its head out the window) my car was pretty hot from just the 15 min.
So here is the question: Should I take it upon myself seeing that this animal is in distress and smash the window out of this truck and let the dog out and possibly take it to a vet or animal control or something?
I've come across this same situation unfortunately lots of times before ... the last time was actually at a Costco also. The first thing I do is go into the store and speak with customer service so they can page the person who owns the vehicle obviously bring all the info for it.
If that doesn't work then call the police. If you think you can spare the time (ie. The dog is still conscious and moving for example) then call the police. That way you are covered from a legal standpoint in case anything goes sideways. I've actually had people get very angry with me because I inconvienced? their shopping trip by suggesting that their pet was in distress?

Of course if it's beyond the point where you think the dog is not 'okay' anymore then yeah I'd smash a window too. Idk if this answers the question but it's what I would do.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

You want to smash someones window and kidnap their pet? Are you an SJW or something?

Reminds me of a time I was at costco, these 3 girls, probably ages 6-10 where in the backseat of an f350, windows down, all of them were clearly having a fun time but yet people just like the OP crowded the truck and called a costco employee over. That probably frightened the kids more than anything. If I ever have kids I'll be telling them to tell any strangers that come up to their windows to F off.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
First I would go into Costco and have them announce the plate number, make model and color of the veheicle, then the color of poodle suffering in the vehicle. Tell them they have 2 minutes before forced extrication is involved.
Baby, kid or elderly person in obvious distress there would be no question.
Yes I am saying human life overrides canine, do not jump down my throat if you are a furmomma or furpoppa. The good samaritan act does not protect you in the case of 4 legged pets.
120 seconds to get from end to end in a Costco eh? Ya I'm sure that's possible in a Costco.

Whatever happened to people minding their own business? Back in the 90s my parents used to leave me in the car no problem, no one had hurt feelings, no one called the police, no one played the hero (as lots on here love to do) people minded their own business.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:42 PM

Here's my question.
I often leave my heeler in my truck while I'm out n about. Windows fully closed and A/C on. If some milenial hero was to smash a window to free him and my dog bites he or she, am I at fault? My dog is by means not some savage who attacks everything he sees but he is very protective of my truck & home.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
You know dogs are curious creatures eh? They see the window is open and of course they are gonna try to put their nose out of it. The dog also sees you, and likely wants to say hi. You also know dogs pant regularly yes? Chances are you overreacted etc etc. Please don't smash out anyone's window and definitely don't steal their pet and take it somewhere. You're not a hero.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
120 seconds to get from end to end in a Costco eh? Ya I'm sure that's possible in a Costco.

Whatever happened to people minding their own business? Back in the 90s my parents used to leave me in the car no problem, no one had hurt feelings, no one called the police, no one played the hero (as lots on here love to do) people minded their own business.
If you tell them 30 minutes nobody cares. You either get their ass in gear or let the animal suffer (die, child or elderly person die).

There are 3 types of people on the planet, those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that sit there with a stupid look on their face wondering what the (place expletive here) happened.

People and animals die in vehicles. I guess if I had a heart of stone like you I wouldn't care either. I prefer not to watch people or animals suffer.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2017, 04:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
If you tell them 30 minutes nobody cares. You either get their ass in gear or let the animal suffer.

There are 3 types of people on the planet, those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those that sit there with a stupid look on their face wondering what the (place expletive here) happened.

People and animals die in vehicles. I guess if I had a heart of stone like you I wouldn't care either.
I have 2 golden retrievers so my heart is not stone as you say but the OP doesn't know need to smash a window nor does anyone else. Cops maybe? After all other resources are exhausted. The OP doesn't even know how long the dog has been there. He was there 15 minutes what if the dog was only there 5 minutes prior to the OP? What if it's owners were walking there as he was contemplating breaking a window and taking the dog?
Old 09-17-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I have 2 golden retrievers so my heart is not stone as you say but the OP doesn't know need to smash a window nor does anyone else. Cops maybe? After all other resources are exhausted. The OP doesn't even know how long the dog has been there. He was there 15 minutes what if the dog was only there 5 minutes prior to the OP? What if it's owners were walking there as he was contemplating breaking a window and taking the dog?
What if what if what if.

You already said you would walk away, you have 'no dog in this race'. You made your stance quite clear. Just because others have a different idea than you does not mean they are wrong, does it?

Old 09-17-2017, 05:26 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Call the cops.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-17-2017, 05:57 PM

See if theres a firehose nearby. Jam as much of the nozzle into the crack of the window as you can and let fly. Should cool off the poodle.

Its a poodle.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
What if what if what if.

You already said you would walk away, you have 'no dog in this race'. You made your stance quite clear. Just because others have a different idea than you does not mean they are wrong, does it?
Breaking a window and taking a dog because your idea of what's right for someone else's dog is wrong. You're not the owner. Just like when you see dip**** kids at malls or restaurants and you wanna spank em cause god knows they need to be doesn't mean you just go do it.

So you get ready to be the big man and bust that window and you injure the dog. Now what are you gonna do?
Old 09-17-2017, 06:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Here's my question.
I often leave my heeler in my truck while I'm out n about. Windows fully closed and A/C on. If some milenial hero was to smash a window to free him and my dog bites he or she, am I at fault? My dog is by means not some savage who attacks everything he sees but he is very protective of my truck & home.
In today's society, you're probably at fault lol.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:05 PM
Gone Hunting

It's a poodle. It should be smart enough to open the door on his own. Or honk the horn until help comes. Dogs sniff drugs, bombs, help blind people, even occasionally get a kid out a well. A poodle would handle the situation himself/>

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-17-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Breaking a window and taking a dog because your idea of what's right for someone else's dog is wrong. You're not the owner. Just like when you see dip**** kids at malls or restaurants and you wanna spank em cause god knows they need to be doesn't mean you just go do it. So you get ready to be the big man and bust that window and you injure the dog. Now what are you gonna do?
Yes smacking or slapping a kid around is exactly what we are talking about.
I know how to break a window without injuring an occupant. We train for it regularily for victim extraction. Maybe you should look into volunteering so you can learn about the laws and possibly be better equipped to help someone should the need arise.
Or you can be like the people that hide behind closed blinds peeking through being nosy about whats happening but doing everything they can not to get involved. Unless it means fighting from behind a keyboard, huh?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:22 PM

If you're concerned then go to customer service as was said. I have an English Bulldog that goes everywhere with me (work or for fun). I also had a $800 remote starter installed in my truck. How do you know the truck wasn't running and just turned off. Doesn't really matter how cool it is in my truck, you'll probably see my bulldog panting. If I come out to a smashed window from a "hero", they would be paying to have a new window installed. I had somebody come into BP's one day and complain to the waitress that my dog was sitting in the truck and needed to be saved. It was -10 and the truck had stopped running for maybe 10 minutes.

Now that being said, there are some stupid pet owners out there. If you don't have any intentions of keeping your vehicle running and its even slightly warm, leave your dog at home.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Here's my question.
If he never had atleast a doggie sweater on, I'd break your window. We don't need a dog freezing to death in front of the shoppers.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:30 PM
Banned

Aside from everyhing else mentioned as to why you dont want to take your course of action as a first option, you are going to end up with one seriously freaked out dog on your hands, and there will be no picking him up and taking him to the vet.

Maybe if you had exhausted all other possibilities first, and he was obviously in serious distress.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:31 PM

shouldn't have to say this, but it is pretty easy to tell when an animal (or human) is in distress. If you bang on the window and there is little or no movement or reaction, chances are the poodle or bulldog is going to die within minutes.
Active barking growling, lunging at the glass or licking the windows and wagging the tail generally means there is some life left and it is not a panic.

Are we going to swing back to common sense or continue with the derailment and inevitable lock?

Old 09-17-2017, 06:44 PM

Very first response was the correct response. Not sure why all the other posts after....
Old 09-17-2017, 07:00 PM

A little story to add that recently happened...

Went up to Kokanee Glacier park a few weeks ago. I know there's no dogs allowed in the park so we decided to just do a nice 20min walk around the lake. Left the dog in the canopy with both windows wide open and parked in the shade with a water bowl at about 20C and the back unlocked. About 5 mins after we leave we here a dog barking like crazy at the parking lot but as we had seen a few folks there with dogs we didn't think it much of it as ours is pretty quiet usually.
When we get back some folks we met with a dog are there too and mentioned that someone pulled our dog out of the canopy and tied it up under the signage to get it into the shade. Where do you think the dog was sitting when we got back? Right bang in the only sun it could find. I know my dog was fine for the time period that we were leaving her but someone always has the best of intentions. That's the reason I left it unlocked. Just in case. I think my dog was actually protecting the truck but just gave up.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:05 PM

This is a tough call for anyone in this situation. I would assess and if I think it is dire, I would call the police to further assess....I would wait for the owner of the car to come back and have an idea what danger a kid or a pet is in the situaton...Is it 30 degrees out or 12 degrees? Is the car running? Windows open? I see the op said the dog was panting....I see dogs panting all the time even when they are cool and watered up....

Do not jump to conclusions on breaking a window before thinking for a minute...and assesing the situation first.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes smacking or slapping a kid around is exactly what we are talking about.
I know how to break a window without injuring an occupant. We train for it regularily for victim extraction. Maybe you should look into volunteering so you can learn about the laws and possibly be better equipped to help someone should the need arise.
Or you can be like the people that hide behind closed blinds peeking through being nosy about whats happening but doing everything they can not to get involved. Unless it means fighting from behind a keyboard, huh?
Yep break the glass and have the dog cut itself on the glass.

Anyway bigshot you keep playing hero, one day you might rescue the wrong dog
Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
A little story to add that recently happened...

Went up to Kokanee Glacier park a few weeks ago. I know there's no dogs allowed in the park so we decided to just do a nice 20min walk around the lake. Left the dog in the canopy with both windows wide open and parked in the shade with a water bowl at about 20C and the back unlocked. About 5 mins after we leave we here a dog barking like crazy at the parking lot but as we had seen a few folks there with dogs we didn't think it much of it as ours is pretty quiet usually.
When we get back some folks we met with a dog are there too and mentioned that someone pulled our dog out of the canopy and tied it up under the signage to get it into the shade. Where do you think the dog was sitting when we got back? Right bang in the only sun it could find. I know my dog was fine for the time period that we were leaving her but someone always has the best of intentions. That's the reason I left it unlocked. Just in case. I think my dog was actually protecting the truck but just gave up.
Yep good case of people doing what they shouldn't do.

My oldest golden whines so if I left her in the truck she would probably whine a bit. That doesn't mean she's in trouble but some hero would definitely take to breaking a window to "save" her. Then she would probably bite that person to top it off.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 PM

If someone were to smash my window, I would smash their face.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:35 PM

Mind my own business!!!
Old 09-17-2017, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
I know what I would do. I'd like to know what OP did. Please finish your story.
I haven't read any posts yet, (watching Packers get thier butts kicked) but this sounds like a troll thread, or some sort of university assignment.

If a man jumps off the 50th floor to commit suicide and you shoot at him out the window of the 30th floor are you ..............

Last edited by waterninja; 09-17-2017 at 09:02 PM.