Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Crawlspace advice please

I need some crawlspace advice please. This is what my new addition crawlspace looks like at the moment. The plan (according to the contractor)is to insulate the walls and run poly over the crushed rock up to the walls. The crawlspace is only 3 feet below grade. I have a sump in the one corner, and an access hatch on the opposite end. The sump will have a pump in it, but if i need to service the pump, will i not damage/puncture the poly? Is there a product that is thicker than poly that you can walk on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Immigrant; 09-16-2017 at 08:37 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:19 PM

Do you need poly? My parents house doesn't have poly, it's just a sand gravel bottom with a sump pit. My condo doesn't have poly, just spray foam on the outside walls. I don't really understand the need for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Lay some treated wood planks before laying the poly if you are concerned about puncturing it.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:36 PM

If your worried about punctures create some panks to crawl on.
Old 09-16-2017, 10:25 PM

When we were selling our duplex in Fort St. John, this is what the crawl space looked like:

In order to sell, we basically had to poly and insulate. It was a work of art when we were done, and the property sold easily.

Poly is not that difficult to install, and good thick stuff won't puncture very easily.

Hardest part for me was shimmying under the joists. I apparently have a bit of claustrophobia.

NRA/NFA Supporter and "...gun toting tea party psychotard..." -

Last edited by doetracks; 09-16-2017 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 PM

Last one I saw,poly was under the rock as I recall. Wooden foundations are pretty Passe these days. Engineered ?

Grizz
Old 09-16-2017, 10:43 PM

Put poly down, and pour a concrete slab.
That will protect the poly, and you'll have all the storage space you'll ever need.

Old 09-17-2017, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
That will protect the poly, and you'll have all the storage space you'll ever need.

My thoughts exactly
Old 09-17-2017, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by does it ALL outdoors View Post
My thoughts exactly
Actually a bit of a head shaker here, nothing but anchor bolts to resist soil pressure. Building wooden foundations is a science in itself and very demanding. usually requires an engineer approval, not having one can be a buggar at selling time.

Grizz
Old 09-17-2017, 08:46 AM

Spray foam the walls and floor. Insulation and vapor barrier in one
Old 09-17-2017, 08:56 AM

You can have a contractor lay a slurry slab. I have a crawl space that had a dirt floor, I just put down poly and had a guy come with a little pumper unit with a 2" hose line. They were able to pump into the area with this self levelling slab and it works for what I need. Just make sure you have lots of air circulation because the concrete creates a lot of humidity.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Actually a bit of a head shaker here, nothing but anchor bolts to resist soil pressure. Building wooden foundations is a science in itself and very demanding. usually requires an engineer approval, not having one can be a buggar at selling time.

Grizz

Not sure what you mean. The walls is sitting on this...

Old 09-17-2017, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Not sure what you mean. The walls is sitting on this...

Customary to pour an L shaped footing for the foundation wall to sit against if there is no floor intended.

Grizz
Old 09-17-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Customary to pour an L shaped footing for the foundation wall to sit against if there is no floor intended.

Grizz
I see what you mean......
Old 09-17-2017, 02:10 PM
AO Sponsor

http://www.basementsystemscalgary.co...e-barrier.html

This is the type of system we probably going with. It is similar to pool liner and is very tough and durable. In combination with a sump and dehumidifier it will be water tight, dry and clean.
Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post

Just to add to this, Poly, styrofoam insulation, then concrete. Also a heat vent and your floor upstairs will not be cold in the winter.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:27 AM

If you do put a few tiny holes in the poly it won't hurt anything; many homes don't have a vapour barrier in the crawl space. If your worried about it, find some sump liner. It will be a PIA tocinstall but would puncture.

I wouldn't put a concrete floor in a 3' crawl space. You'll be unlikely to ever use it and if you do get water down there it will be difficult to get rid of, unless your contractors make the floor perfectly drained towards the sump. That's unlikely based on what I've seen in full height basements.

Gerry Burnie
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:

Grizz
Was wondering if that would get noticed. What we have done on crawlspace wood foundations has worked well and is economical. Lay a treated 2x6 down on the inside of the wall on the footing tight to the bottom plate. Quick bolt this down every two or three feet depending on backfill height with 5/8 quickbolts. Install these bolts a little over 1" in from the INSIDE edge of the 2x6, this allows you to have most of the strength from the 2x6 pushing on the bolts. Again I am referring to the edge that is closest to the gravel not the wall itself. Then install a 2x4 on the flat on top of the 2x6 butted tight against the bottom of the wall studs, nailing with galvanized spikes two every 12 to 16 inches. This not only anchors the bottom plate from pushing in, it also anchors the studs from being pushed in off the plate as well.
Old 09-18-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchammer View Post
Was wondering if that would get noticed. What we have done on crawlspace wood foundations has worked well and is economical. Lay a treated 2x6 down on the inside of the wall on the footing tight to the bottom plate. Quick bolt this down every two or three feet depending on backfill height with 5/8 quickbolts. Install these bolts a little over 1" in from the INSIDE edge of the 2x6, this allows you to have most of the strength from the 2x6 pushing on the bolts. Again I am referring to the edge that is closest to the gravel not the wall itself. Then install a 2x4 on the flat on top of the 2x6 butted tight against the bottom of the wall studs, nailing with galvanized spikes two every 12 to 16 inches. This not only anchors the bottom plate from pushing in, it also anchors the studs from being pushed in off the plate as well.
THanks for the info guys. I will see what i can do to address the issue