Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 03:47 PM
Banned

Default WSS Liquidation Sale Rant

Wouldn't it be great if a month or so from now, WSS comes out with a news release that say's they have worked things out and are going to remain in business? It would serve some of the vultures I saw today right.
I stopped by today just to see what's happening. Parking lot overflowing, and two very long line ups of 27 and 29 people while I was there. Spoke a bit with the mng. He say's they have had lot's of sales of up to 30% or more and were never very busy. Now that they are closing, it's like a feeding frenzy where people can save 5-10% on almost everything and thats with no store warranty's or returns. Big Whoopie! Very few items were at the max 30% savings (like boat accessories). It should have been funny to see some of these sheeple standing in line for an hour or 2 loaded down with ammo at 5% off when they could buy the same ammo at Canadian Tire for less, but it just sort of made me sad. I guess some people might have saved some money on something they were planning on buying anyways, but for the most part it looked like long lines of grinning fools thinking they're gaining something because of someone else's loss. I think all AB outdoorsmen will have lost something when the doors finally close. I'm hoping it's a marketing ploy to move stale stock.
Rant Over

Last edited by waterninja; 09-15-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:58 PM

I hear you, I stopped at WSS Lethbridge on my way to Beaver Mines. What a f'n joke. Saw one guy with a shopping cartload of ammo at 5% off. Shook my head and walked out. It always amazes me how so many people can get caught up in this crap. The only reason I stopped, was reading on line last night 30% sale. On clothing that has over 100% mark up in the first place. They forgot to mention that I guess.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
I hear you, I stopped at WSS Lethbridge on my way to Beaver Mines. What a f'n joke. Saw one guy with a shopping cartload of ammo at 5% off. Shook my head and walked out. It always amazes me how so many people can get caught up in this crap. The only reason I stopped, was reading on line last night 30% sale. On clothing that has over 100% mark up in the first place. They forgot to mention that I guess.
Maybe WSS Should of adjusted there pricing to attract more customers. Or tried a going out 4 business sale. Maybe they'd of lasted or weathered the storm better.

BW
Old 09-15-2017, 04:07 PM

Same thing in Saskatoon.
Stupidly busy and not much for deals but long lineups for sure
Also,we found out that they don't sell hunt licences there anymore and haven't for awhile. ??!!?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 PM

It's like you guys have forgotten or something: many people are idiots, plain and simple, most of the rest are sheep, or cattle if you will. As long as there is a big sign outside and the feeling of scarcity, people will move in. Those who think there will be plenty left comes end of December are kidding themselves. If they play it right, most of the staff will be gone in a month. Almost any other liquidation sale I have ever seen works the same: people run to the cash registers with carts full of staff at still marked up, regular or very little discounted prices.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:24 PM

Has anyone been at the North Edmonton one today ? I'm guessing it's the same thing going on there.

I talked myself out of buying a shotgun today from there , as my conscience is telling me it's something I don't NEED another one of , and I'm probably not going to save much anyhow.

I'll probably check it out after the feeding frenzy settles down a bit , but not getting my hopes up.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM

Default High brow talk!! Go to an auction for a laugh!

Some people may have been scared about the pile of Gift Cards they had from years back, (LIKE MY BABY BROTHER!!!) so they are there unloading them.

Others are plain and simple a Retailer's DREAM!!!!

As a Vanity product ( not just for the ladies any more!!!) Sporting Goods will often have 50 % +++ markup, like fishing lures, clothing, sleeping bags, etc.

We are led to believe the margin on guns is low, but on line in the US most of what we buy up here is at least $250 less, and if you look the spread is way less than what we pay.

Now for a real laugh, go to an Auction. Michner Allen is a great example. If there is a beat to death quad, it will always sell for $2K +, and often up to $4,500 if it looks good. Skidoos for some reason at say RITCHIE BROTHERS, in the hottest days of June, are at least $2,500 for a Rocky Mountain Resorts Surplus Skandic with 8,000 km on it???? And the thing does not start!!!! (Motor Seized).

But alas, for a real kick in the head, its these huge mark ups which have made Walmart such a success worldwide, and they are still making a profit on what they sell.

Drewski
Old 09-15-2017, 04:28 PM

I will go next week during the morning, I have too, got a gift card to use. Hopefully the rush will be down. Then back near the end for the deals on the un wanted merchandise lol.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Banned

Couldn't agree more.

Bunch of consumer zombie slaves worshipping their retail overlords for lousy deals on junk they don't need!

Reminds me of the black friday/Halloween/Christmas/boxing day/Valentines day/easter/mother's day/father's day materialistic programmed consumer zombies.

Always makes me think of this awesome scene from you don't mess with the zohan...

"No no no, it's just a sign, it's good for business!"

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BSdIAajX_sI
Old 09-15-2017, 05:01 PM

A buddy of mine stopped at the GP store this afternoon, no good deals with most items only 10% off.

He left empty handed, and laughing at the dinguses going nuts over 10% off of items we can get shipped in for cheaper from places in Quebec and Ontario.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-15-2017, 05:17 PM
Banned

This scene also comes to mind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ew_BKa3JoM0
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Great deals on rifles at wss. A whole whopping 5% off rifles. Im sure glad i didnt buy any today cause im not sure what i would have done with the boat load of money i would have saved.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:28 PM

Lot's of people whining and complaining and I guess I just don't get it. Don't like it? Don't go.

I was at the Calgary store just after 9am and it was very busy. Crazy busy. But I had fun. I thought it was going to be 30% off all items but the "UP TO" part didn't cause me grief. Makes good business sense. Bottom line is to know your prices. I generally shop at 4-5 different stores as well as online and generally know which store has the better price for what I am looking for. I walked out with a small armload of items that I knew were priced better at WSS. The 10% off made me pick it up today.

Yes, many people were seen in line that had items 10% off today that were 30% or 20% off yesterday or recently on sale. On those items I chose to wait and will stop in periodically over the next few months to see what the discounts are. I took the same approach when Frenchy's/Barotto and Russells were sold. I still use that outfitter tent. Good buy.

I gain no joy when a store like this closes it's doors. It may not have always had what I was looking for but sometimes it did and occasionally it was better priced. However there is now one less choice of places to go and look around and for that I am disappointed. Remember, many people behind the counters today helping people were told yesterday that after Christmas they have lost their job. Perhaps a bit of empathy is in order. Cheers.

Last edited by horsepower; 09-15-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwa View Post
Has anyone been at the North Edmonton one today ? I'm guessing it's the same thing going on there.

I talked myself out of buying a shotgun today from there , as my conscience is telling me it's something I don't NEED another one of , and I'm probably not going to save much anyhow.

I'll probably check it out after the feeding frenzy settles down a bit , but not getting my hopes up.
I should have mentioned that it was the N Edm. store I was at today.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 PM

I can't believe that anyone was surprised by the situation at the stores today. If they are running the close out sale for three months, why would they offer huge discounts the first day? They will likely slowly increase the discounts every week, and by December, the discounts should be worthwhile. If I happen to be in the vicinity of a store in November, I may drop in, but for now; I won't waste my time.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:12 PM

Very somber walking through the aisles today. But in true Wholesale Sports fashion, they kick me in the nuts one more time. I had half a shopping cart full of stuff that I specifically asked on 75% of, what the discount was, and on most of it I was told 30% if not marked otherwise.
As the girl was ringing things through at the till I noticed it just showed the totals, not the discount. She gave me my total and I stuttered a bit because it seemed too high. I questioned her on it and she said "I can cancel everything if you want, there's a long line behind you". I said "no, it just seems a little high". She then handed me the receipt where the original cost and the discount is visible and I noticed that almost nothing was more than 10% off. When I brought it to her attention she said "that's unfortunate, there's nothing I can do now, sorry."
I made her call a manager and I pointed to the employees that specifically told me what was 30%, but he repeated what the young girl had said, "sorry, nothing we can do."
Be aware and ask the discount on each and every item as they ring it in. They're putting the screws to a lot of people I think.
You've been warned.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

He left empty handed, and laughing at the ""dinguses"" going nuts over 10% off of items we can get shipped in for cheaper from places in Quebec and Ontario.
Way off topic but I feel it is important to note: In my 50 + years of stomping around the world, Dick, you are only the second person that I have seen/heard use the word "Dingus". The first and only other was an Alberta Boy as well.......Hmmm
Sorry....back to topic.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:39 PM

What's sad is that even when I heard about the liquidation the first ting that came to my mind was, "Doesn't really matter. I'm sure I'll be able to find it somewhere else cheaper anyway and won't mind buying from".

Not that price is always my first consideration, but I've seen these types of 'liquidations' in the past too where the savings are barely if any different than the regular price at another store.

The employees have my sympathies. Couldn't give a monkeys uncle for the company. I stopped shopping there years ago.

Who knows? Maybe as a result of all of this someone else steps in to those same locations offering better service and better prices.

Also, I prefer supporting the smaller shops anyway. Granted, shops like P&D are convenient and accessible if you live in Edmonton but I prefer to shop at these places anyway.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:07 PM

Sounds like a bunch of guys being bitter about not getting the good deals they envisioned.
I will be going and I will likely grab a lot of stuff for the reasons that I live too far from big box stores for shipping ammo and bullets to make financial sense. Wss was my source for Canadian made score ammo so I will likely grab some cases of that.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 09-15-2017, 07:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower View Post
Lot's of people whining and complaining and I guess I just don't get it. Don't like it? Don't go.

I was at the Calgary store just after 9am and it was very busy. Crazy busy. But I had fun. I thought it was going to be 30% off all items but the "UP TO" part didn't cause me grief. Makes good business sense. Bottom line is to know your prices. I generally shop at 4-5 different stores as well as online and generally know which store has the better price for what I am looking for. I walked out with a small armload of items that I knew were priced better at WSS. The 10% off made me pick it up today.

Yes, many people were seen in line that had items 10% off today that were 30% or 20% off yesterday or recently on sale. On those items I chose to wait and will stop in periodically over the next few months to see what the discounts are. I took the same approach when Frenchy's/Barotto and Russells were sold. I still use that outfitter tent. Good buy.

I gain no joy when a store like this closes it's doors. It may not have always had what I was looking for but sometimes it did and occasionally it was better priced. However there is now one less choice of places to go and look around and for that I am disappointed. Remember, many people behind the counters today helping people were told yesterday that after Christmas they have lost their job. Perhaps a bit of empathy is in order. Cheers.

Well said good perspective.

Do you think raising the minimum wage would have helped?

It's a joke people, unfurl your panties.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM

Default Wholesale

Any truth to a rumor I heard about Bass Pro taking over after things close down ?
Old 09-15-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear crossing View Post
Any truth to a rumor I heard about Bass Pro taking over after things close down ?
Doubt it they have a 2 year long bid to buy Cabelas

LC
Old 09-15-2017, 08:08 PM
Banned

They canceled my wild card
I was going to buy a scope and only they had it anyways, but I got it for the same price my wildcard would have got me
Old 09-15-2017, 09:02 PM

I braved the mobs and got a couple of things I needed anyways for hunting.. Nothing big, but did buuy the last set of knobs for the camp chef stove.. We were unable to find the kit this summer anywhere!
Old 09-15-2017, 09:19 PM

I was in the Lethbridge store and it was insanely busy, anything that I was considering was only 10% and I could have got that anytime of the year with the wild card. So I left with nothing, it the psychology of sale that worked for them today.
If they had posted a sign out side that said store wide 10% off 3 months ago it still would have been a empty store. But because its a liquidation everyone thinks they are getting a great deal.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:35 PM
Banned

I for one won't be taking advantage of this fiasco.
I had a friend ask me last night about all the accessories and such he should pick up for his daughter who is just getting into archery.
I tried to politely explain that for his 5 -10% he was going to get he was:
a) spending his money at a business that is now a lost cause.
b) not spending money at a place like Jimbows...taking business away from them, which if everyone does helps ensure that in a couple of years Cabela's will be the only place to buy archery equipment.
Support the local establisments that really do offer top notch service...not one that is in its death throes just to save a couple of bucks.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:50 PM

Default I can't imagine

How the sales at WSS today motivated anyone to buy anything they weren't already going to buy. Very few items more than 10% off, in many cases at higher prices than earlier in the week. I was burning off a gift card I had been sitting on for years, ended up with some ammo I could probably have gotten on sale at Cabelas cheaper.

I'm sad for the few good staff the WSS in Calgary had, it will be tough for them to land safely with their skillset. UFA can get lost, they added nothing to the mix and punished the stores for their poor decisions. I hate losing competition in this sector but I doubt WSS whacky pricing forced anyone to adjust theirs.

I'm guessing anything left over after this weekend will sit until Dec 28. Unless you have size 14 feet or are XXS, most of the saleable stuff will be gone. Stuff that rotted on the shelves literally flew the coop at 5% off today.

Sucker born every minute.
Zeke
Old 09-15-2017, 10:56 PM

I have seen the same mentality at auctions. I will miss that store for sure. I think I will boycott UFA.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Do you think raising the minimum wage would have helped?
You have forgotten to mention that the minimum wage increase is the reason they are closing the doors in the first place
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 PM

Same situation as the free parks pass. Suddenly everybody is exploring the NP's and hanging those waste of money tags in there window even though they aren't enforcing it. People are like cattle