Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Good on you for removing the deer from the road.

A couple of years back, there was a man who was charged for not removing a moose from the road after he hit it. Anyone know what happened to him?

Here's also a relevant article: Watch out for wildlife, remove roadkill, Mounties tell drivers
Old 09-18-2017, 05:51 PM

Thank you all for your replies to my story.
I think we all agree that removing a hazard from the highway is everyone's responsibly however any action should be dealt with high caution and under restricted safety measurement.

Again thank you all and have a wonderful hunting season.

By the way please do not forget to save some meat for my kids just in case I will not use any of my tags. Last season out for hunting 19 times and only got one whitetail.

Just kidding, thanks my friends,,,,,
Old 09-19-2017, 05:06 AM
Banned

I watched a whitetail buck one morning bounding down a laneway towards the highway on my way to a trap shoot. I could see the event unfolding as the vehicle about 100 yds ahead of me didn't slow or seem to notice the deer headed on a perfectly timed collision course with them. The deer jumped a gate blocking the laneway about 10 yards from the highway and put on a bolt of speed to cross the 4 lane highway bounding right into the front passenger fender of the car. The deer shot straight up about 8 feet as if launched coming down and spinning in a circle coming to rest on the centreline still alive but only able to lift it's head. I had stopped and parked on the shoulder by then, called the OPP and got out to check on the people in the car. To my utter shock they had no idea what they had hit?! When I asked if they were ok, a couple in their mid 40's maybe, they responded "yes but what did we hit?" I pointed to the deer laying on the road and they were in utter disbelief. I waited for a break in traffic and dragged the deer off to the side of the road after it expired. The OPP let me keep it so I loaded it into my truck and continued to the shoot. Once there a buddy and I took it down below the handgun range in the bush and dressed it. I took it home, hung it in the shed, skinned it and left it hang a few days in the nice cool November temps then butchered it. Got a nice 4x4 buck that year without firing a shot, lol, I called it the Intrepid Buck since it was taken with a Chrysler Intrepid.

Last edited by The Spank; 09-19-2017 at 05:30 AM.