Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lok View Post
I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I'm also all for supporting my bank account.

Pretty hard to justify spending $18.99 on a spool of mono at the local guys store when a 2 minute drive down the road at CT and the same spool is $11.99 and they have 8 spools of each strength from 8-60 pounds.

WSS problem was they would have the same $11.99 price tag but the shelves would be empty. You get to the point that you don't even want to waste your time or gas driving to WSS knowing your only going to be disappointing.

Sad to see them leave but if they had great prices and lots of stock all the time they would still be open.
The price difference was more like 10-15% with our local stores. But the specialty stores offered things like reloading supplies that Canadian tire did not carry. Given the cost of shipping powder and primers, or having to travel great distances from Fort McMurray to purchase powder or primers, supporting the local stores likely saved me money overall.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I'm all for supporting local businesses, but I'm also all for supporting my bank account.

Pretty hard to justify spending $18.99 on a spool of mono at the local guys store when a 2 minute drive down the road at CT and the same spool is $11.99 and they have 8 spools of each strength from 8-60 pounds.

WSS problem was they would have the same $11.99 price tag but the shelves would be empty. You get to the point that you don't even want to waste your time or gas driving to WSS knowing your only going to be disappointing.

Sad to see them leave but if they had great prices and lots of stock all the time they would still be open.
And that's the crux of the problem. CT has 487 stores in Canada, they can buy hundreds of thousands of spools of line, guns or brake shoes, etc, at a volume discount price for half of what a tiny chain of 7 or 8 stores like Wholesale pays and make twice as much profit selling it for the same price. For wholesale to even begin to compete they have to buy once a year in large amounts to get a discount(still not as much discount) as CT or a big American chain such as Cabelas . When that's sold the shelves sit empty. It's all downhill from there. I'm surprised Wholesale hung on as long as they did after Cabelas showed up and CT started selling guns and more outdoor stuff. Same thing happens to the mom and pop stores when the next bigger competing chain store comes along. They simply cannot compete in buying power and trying to sell stuff at a competitive price . Nor can they afford the big marketing campaigns huge chain stores can.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Ken the trouble on price matching some of these and CTire and Cabelas are really bad for it is to advertise something on a smoking deal and then the only place they have one is in Newfoundland. I witnessed this regularly at one of your stores you mentioned and yes we said no but at the same time there was no way to get one even if you wanted to at that price.
oh for sure, there are lost leaders everywhere. But, now in our retail world with Amazon and another thousand online stores selling the same product the brick and mortar stores have to keep up or close the doors. It is inevitable.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-17-2017, 10:31 AM

It is true. Even WSS admitted online shopping hurt them. There is way more of going on than some people think. With Amazon getting into groceries it is going to really open peoples eyes to online shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
oh for sure, there are lost leaders everywhere. But, now in our retail world with Amazon and another thousand online stores selling the same product the brick and mortar stores have to keep up or close the doors. It is inevitable.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Banned

Maybe now PnD will stay open later than 5pm.... One can wish...
Old 09-17-2017, 01:14 PM
Banned

Its actually kinda sad really, I'm old enough to know their history. Frenchy's was my store That i bought my first three guns at. (Lost a 19 inch non typical antelope in the fire) then the went across the street for the fire sale, then along came Barroto's, then it went to east of McLean trail by chinook. Now its death. Sad really.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
And that's the crux of the problem. CT has 487 stores in Canada, they can buy hundreds of thousands of spools of line, guns or brake shoes, etc, at a volume discount price for half of what a tiny chain of 7 or 8 stores like Wholesale pays and make twice as much profit selling it for the same price. ........

Totally get that, But the average dude working the average job (the 90%'ers) don't give a flying pigs butt. There's only so many jelly beans in the jar, most people can't afford to give extra away just because your local or small and don't have buying power. I gotta watch my bottom line too.

There are only two ways to make money. sell lots for little, or sell little for lots.

My experience with WSS is they were selling little for little. Can't tell ya how man times I walked out of there empty handed because the shelves were empty.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:05 PM
Banned

They had better prices on many items than Cabelas.

IMO they failed because of
A) poor online presence
B) poor marketing / branding
Old 09-17-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

WSS had more stuff online than in the stores. I think they grew too much and didn't keep the in store inventory up.
I bought much more online from wss than I did in the store.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by play.soccer View Post
Maybe now PnD will stay open later than 5pm.... One can wish...
Maybe it's just me but I've never really had a positive experience with P&D. The P part is really good to deal with but that D part is something else! I'll always go elsewhere since the last time. Par for the course when dealing with a gun counter I spose.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:49 PM

Stopped in after goose hunting this morning. Ammo sale absolute joke. $35 for black cloud 3"--BB??? Good riddance
Old 09-17-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
A buddy of mine stopped at the GP store this afternoon, no good deals with most items only 10% off.

He left empty handed, and laughing at the dinguses going nuts over 10% off of items we can get shipped in for cheaper from places in Quebec and Ontario.
Went in and left with a few $7 Rapalas. Fishing stuff seemed to be mostly 30% off the hunting stuff sure wasn't. Could hardly move there were so many people in there though. Almost didn't go in but the Mrs was already inside.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 PM

I've bought most of my guns and other gear from them. Found prices as good/better when I compared on most things.

I went to Cabelas twice since opening and their prices were quite a bit hire.

Always had good experience at gun counter, usually got the same older gentleman though. I suspect a lot of the people complaining about the service there are probably the problem themselves. Seems everyone shopping for guns there know it all.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShore View Post
Went in and left with a few $7 Rapalas. Fishing stuff seemed to be mostly 30% off the hunting stuff sure wasn't. Could hardly move there were so many people in there though. Almost didn't go in but the Mrs was already inside.
DARN. It would sure help to know where posts are comming from. Were you in the Manitoba store? Someone from New Bruswick said it was the same there, though rubber boots were only 5% off.
Old 09-17-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Imagine going to work for min. wage knowing that as soon as everything in the store is sold your out of a job???? I can't.

Then add having to deal with mobs of people that aren't happy cause they aren't getting everything for a huge discount.... I know my give a F$#% meter would be pretty low!

I'm always surprised that stores going out of business can keep staff..... But I guess you don't get EI if you quit.
I never expected anyone to give a crap, nor did I expect anyone to lie to me. That's the part that stings.
As I said, the feeling I had walking through the isles was somber. Like walking through someone's burnt home.
Unfortunately, it's hard to feel sorry for a company managed like they were. From the first day they opened on 97st and Yellowhead the staff there have been "smug" for lack of a better term. Except for a few, they acted like just what they were, the only show in town. I thought that when Cabelas showed up that all that would change, but it didn't, so it's hard to feel too much sympathy.
Having said that, the store that my fiasco took place at was the Edmonton south location, and I can honestly I actually liked the staff there. They were different than most other stores I've been in. They rivaled Cabelas staff.
I truly feel sorry that they are out of work. Hopefully they find gainful employment as soon as possible.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 AM

Was in there on Friday evening with IncrediGirl and my youngest - was just in there to pick up a box of ammo that was not available elsewhere.

Thought it was odd to see people with full carts at such modest sale prices.

Highlight was running into Mudbug and catching up on things in his world. Haven't seen him in ages and it was great to chat again.

We're definitely going to miss the footwear selection and the frequent sales they had on them - My kids have developed a preference for Merrill/Keen shoes... Gah!

I wonder if they would have done better had they started to do Amazon.ca fulfilment instead of doing the DIY web store. Oh well.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
DARN. It would sure help to know where posts are comming from. Were you in the Manitoba store? Someone from New Bruswick said it was the same there, though rubber boots were only 5% off.
This was in the GP store. Maybe as the end date gets closer the reductions will increase?
Old 09-18-2017, 04:12 PM

It is sad to see a business fail, not so much for the faceless corporation but for the people that worked there. (keep in mind there are jerks every were retail) This is just the beginning to a massive shift in retail, 10 years from now buying our stuff off the shelves instead of off our phones or laptops will be the exception rather than the rule. You might say I am wrong but if I told you 10 years ago you would not be able to go to the corner and rent a movie you would have said I was wrong about that too. As far as the crowds and so called sales go to each his own, I don't go to the stores on boxing day because retailers tell me it is a good deal.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:06 PM

I've tried to support WSS over the years, but man they could make it tough at times! Even now Cabelas sale on the weekend sounds better than WSS
Old 09-18-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Nice first post. I suppose you also told us about the horseless buggy, and that crazy invention called an airplane??? LOL If man were made to fly he would have .....
If you can predict who will win the Super Bowl this year, then yeh, you might have some credibility.
Everything he stated was true.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Nice first post. I suppose you also told us about the horseless buggy, and that crazy invention called an airplane??? LOL If man were made to fly he would have .....
If you can predict who will win the Super Bowl this year, then yeh, you might have some credibility.
I bet he didn't predict getting attacked for his prediction.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconforsale View Post
It is sad to see a business fail, not so much for the faceless corporation but for the people that worked there. (keep in mind there are jerks every were retail) This is just the beginning to a massive shift in retail, 10 years from now buying our stuff off the shelves instead of off our phones or laptops will be the exception rather than the rule. You might say I am wrong but if I told you 10 years ago you would not be able to go to the corner and rent a movie you would have said I was wrong about that too. As far as the crowds and so called sales go to each his own, I don't go to the stores on boxing day because retailers tell me it is a good deal.
Appropriate name given your first post. Hope you improve, kind of hard to take this condescending fluff from a first time poster. We may be conservative but we aren't unaware of the things affecting our world. Might want to try a little less preachy for a few posts spud!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Nothing like calling out a first time poster.

Kinda sad.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 09-19-2017 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Appropriate name given your first post. Hope you improve, kind of hard to take this condescending fluff from a first time poster. We may be conservative but we aren't unaware of the things affecting our world. Might want to try a little less preachy for a few posts spud!
I think you are digging a little too deep if that truly offends you. I think they have a term for that nowadays...snowflake? Not sure what first post has to do with it. You have over 4500 posts and I have less respect for your comment towards him than I do of his general statement towards no one in-particular. He has a join of 2010. Perhaps you just like seeing your opinion written more than he does.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpoppa85 View Post
I think you are digging a little too deep if that truly offends you. I think they have a term for that nowadays...snowflake? Not sure what first post has to do with it. You have over 4500 posts and I have less respect for your comment towards him than I do of his general statement towards no one in-particular. He has a join of 2010. Perhaps you just like seeing your opinion written more than he does.
You apparently either have no idea what the Definition of Snowflake is or you are REALLY over the top:

Quote:
Urban Dictionary Snowflake
Referring to someone, usually the Alt-Right, Yiannopoulos, And Nazi Sympathizers (A.K.A. ARYANS), whose immense white fragility causes a meltdown when confronted with the most minute deviation from orthodox White Supremacy. They often cry bloody murder when expected to give the most modest expression of basic human decency.
I am so far from being an Alt-Right Nazi sympathiser that this type of insult seems completely out of proportion to what I posted. You should be embarrassed to call someone you don't know a filthy name like that.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
You apparently either have no idea what the Definition of Snowflake is or you are REALLY over the top:

I am so far from being an Alt-Right Nazi sympathiser that this type of insult seems completely out of proportion to what I posted. You should be embarrassed to call someone you don't know a filthy name like that.
"Generation Snowflake, or Snowflake Generation, is a neologistic term used to characterize the young adults of the 2010s as being more prone to taking offence and less resilient than previous generations, or as being too emotionally vulnerable to cope with views that challenge their own. The term is considered derogatory.[1][2] It is one of several informal examples of usage of the word "snowflake" to refer to people."

Nope I got the one i meant.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:34 PM

Dean, turn off the computer and go have a coffee. You are getting worked up for no reason.
Old 09-19-2017, 01:43 PM
Banned

Quote:

I thought this thread was about wholesale sports, oh my!!
Old 09-19-2017, 01:46 PM

Quote:

gee whiz
here I thought snowflake was the thing stamped on all weather tires !!?? LOL ( from a neophyte poster)