Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-18-2017, 08:04 AM

Default What do you think? Feedback appreciated.

I've always wanted to write about the zen state that archery provides. I know many of you here know this state. It's a state where the mind empties and you actually become the arrow. I attempted to articulate this state. I hope it resonates with some of you here.
I know this style probably isn't for everyone but feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSu6YSKYcy8
Old 09-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

Before I wrecked my shoulder I used to shoot scores of rounds a day in my yard and, yes, you get to where you can almost think an arrow into the bulls eye. Clear your mind and let it come naturally. It was like meditation for me.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:25 AM

That's how I was taught to shoot a slingshot, by looking at and thinking your shot to the target. Oddly enough, with lot's of practice I ended up being a deadly shot with a slingshot out to about 20 yards. I am not so accurate anymore but it was a fun way to hunt grouse when I was young.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:12 PM

I am not an archer, but I think I know this zen state. In my younger years I was a fairly competitive Trap shooter. When I was able to empty my mind and only look for the target that was to appear it seemed to float and then go away in a cloud. For me it was becoming the target. Usually when I was able to get into this state, I would go straight.

Now I got so much stuff going in and out of my head I very seldom go straight.

When I am really stressed including a death in the family, I go to a place where my wife pulls target for me and I just think only about the target. Always relaxed when I am done shooting
Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I am not an archer, but I think I know this zen state. In my younger years I was a fairly competitive Trap shooter. When I was able to empty my mind and only look for the target that was to appear it seemed to float and then go away in a cloud. For me it was becoming the target. Usually when I was able to get into this state, I would go straight.

Now I got so much stuff going in and out of my head I very seldom go straight.

When I am really stressed including a death in the family, I go to a place where my wife pulls target for me and I just think only about the target. Always relaxed when I am done shooting
Archery is the only thing I've found that can put me in this state. I think it's medicinal, in a way, to be able to empty the noggin out every now and then.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:58 PM

I got the exact same feeling with long distance shooting. Except you have to reset and recreate the zen bubble after each squeeze of the trigger
Old 09-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhuntinghippie View Post
Archery is the only thing I've found that can put me in this state. I think it's medicinal, in a way, to be able to empty the noggin out every now and then.
^^^^ Yup. You just go away for a while, it`s strange but true. And you can tell the instant you release if you made a good shot or not.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
^^^^ Yup. You just go away for a while, it`s strange but true. And you can tell the instant you release if you made a good shot or not.
Exactly.