Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-22-2009, 03:28 PM

Default Archery Range/Charges Pending.

Arrived at my local archery range today and was met by two uniformed officers from the City of Red Deer Parks Dept. They informed me that i was not permitted to use the range and had conficated my archery backstop and paper tuner. When I asked why, I was told you cannot shoot in a park,we had a complaint of someone shooting a bow. I asked if they took the time to vaildate the complaint. Response was that I could not shoot in a park, do you want me to call an RCMP Officer. I quietly put my bow away and waited for the Officer to arrive. We had a brief discussion, my personal information was collected,my target and paper tuner were given back and I left the park as instructed by the Parks Officers. Reason, it is considered dangerous to the public.

I know what my rights are, i know what the bylaws are. What I don't know is how can someone be a Peace Officer without having the basic understanding of what his job discription is and what he is there to protect. Ironicly they were they to answer any questions from the public on the new proposals for the park.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
Albertahog

Quote:
I know what my rights are, i know what the bylaws are. What I don't know is how can someone be a Peace Officer without having the basic understanding of what his job discription is and what he is there to protect.
So now what ???? will you still shoot in the park you know your rights but you left the park as instructed by the Parks Officers.
Old 08-22-2009, 05:28 PM

as you are probably aware, bylaws are enforced on a complaint bases only. next complaintent please.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:32 PM

In Edmonton you aren't allowed to use a bow and arrow in any park governed by a particular bylaw (I forgot the number, #1318, or something like that). Since you said you do not have such a bylaw, I would try to educate the person who complained to you. If the police come back again, have a copy of the bylaw and ask them to show you where it says you cannot use your bow. I personally would avoid shooting there even though you are within your rights. If you have NOWHERE else to shoot then go for it but have the info to back yourself up.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:39 AM

The City of Red Deer created a "multi use park" many years ago. In this park you are alowed to do things that you are not allowed to do in the rest of the city. Such as let your dog run at lagre/off leash.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM

What exactly is your complaint? You believe that these two "parks officers" don't understand their job description? Unless you own property, finding a place to shoot, other than a real archery range, is not that easy. I can see many reaasons why shooting a bow in a public park has to be controlled if not entirely verboten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Arrived at my local archery range today and was met by two uniformed officers from the City of Red Deer Parks Dept. They informed me that i was not permitted to use the range and had conficated my archery backstop and paper tuner. When I asked why, I was told you cannot shoot in a park,we had a complaint of someone shooting a bow. I asked if they took the time to vaildate the complaint. Response was that I could not shoot in a park, do you want me to call an RCMP Officer. I quietly put my bow away and waited for the Officer to arrive. We had a brief discussion, my personal information was collected,my target and paper tuner were given back and I left the park as instructed by the Parks Officers. Reason, it is considered dangerous to the public.

I know what my rights are, i know what the bylaws are. What I don't know is how can someone be a Peace Officer without having the basic understanding of what his job discription is and what he is there to protect. Ironicly they were they to answer any questions from the public on the new proposals for the park.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:30 PM

LOL....... There is an archery range there. What park did you think I was shooting in.... Banff National Park?
Old 08-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Which park in red deer? Where is this archery range park? I'm rather curious.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:42 AM

I was told by someone that's very active in the archery community that the city had passed a by-law that made it illegal to shoot a bow within city limits.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:37 AM

The bylaw makes it illegal to discharge a weapon within City limits.
A visitor from Quebec shot a moose on 1 of the islands in town which would have been okay as it is not City land. He ran out of arrows and went for more, told everyone at the store what he was doing and where. F&W were contacted and watched the proceedings from the bridge and then assisted him in retrieving his moose. Apparentley being a visitor to this province, he believed that he did not need a tag. Made the papers and City council reacted by enacting the bylaw. The City recently annexed a large chunk of land surrounding the City and have been kind enough to make an ammendment to the bylaw to allow a farmer to put down a sick or injured animal on his own place. It has eliminated a bunch of good goose shooting, not to mention deer hunting.
That is what we get for electing carrot munchers.
The visitor...never showed for his appointment in court either. Screwed us though, we had an awesome archery range at Three Mile bend, had 3 days to remove the butts.

Terry
Old 08-24-2009, 12:28 PM

Default archery range 3 mile bend

please check this out City of Red Deer Bylaws i hope the attachment will go through
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FirearmsBylaw32542000fmLAS.pdf (7.8 KB, 28 views)
Old 08-24-2009, 12:46 PM

maybe edmonton has a different set of rules, but i shoot my bow in the park behind my place all the time. and i never have had any problems. and ive had police officers stop and talk to me a few times.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM

When I was still living up by GP, I used to shoot my bow in the backyard, as the space behind me was cultivated field. I had just gotten into bowhunting, and I just got done shooting one day, and I had a knock on my door. County Bylaw officer. He was threatining to take my bow from me, and all this other crap, I told him there's no way he's comming into my place to take anything from me. That shut him up for a second, then he said if there's anymore complaints of me shooting my bow in town, he'd have the RC's come and take it from me. I just said whatever, if my loser neighbours are just going to complain, I'll take it out somewhere else. Kinda sucks, but that was when I learned about the range out at evergreen park, so it worked out pretty well I thought. Hopefully things will work out the same for you, and you find an even better place to practice.

Tags
arks