Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2017, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default Sweeping Floors in Restaurants while People Eating

Has anybody else noticed the unsanitary practice of some places which serve food sweeping the floors while you are trying to enjoy your freshly served meal?

Why is there no prohibition for this as dust particles get kicked up in the air from the action.

Who knows where the shoes have been before that brought in contaminants. Near the urinal is a great example. Enjoy your pizza

Have experienced this twice in the last month. The last time politely asked the waitress to consider stopping. Dumb gal just ignored as it was close to closing time.

If they need to sweep floors it should be prior to opening or after closing.

Or mop the floor if really needed. But to whip up dry dust is just crazy. One can smell the dust when this happens.

Is it just me or are others noticing the inconsiderate management.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Banned

Or spraying a table with disinfectant next to a person that is eating.

Or watching a person with gloves on use the till then go back to food prep.

Or having your drink served with a hand wrapped around the top of it.

Or having no paper towels in the bathroom.

I'll never forget standing next to my Grandmother at the mint bowl when I was about 10 years old. I reached in to take some of those good ole soft chewy mints that we all loved as kids. My Grandmother piped up and said "Do you know how many people that just went to the bathroom have had their hands in that bowl of mints?". I don't think I've had one since.

Mmmmmm...

Last edited by Weedy1; 05-21-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Banned

The worst was at Spinelli bar on 105.

Ordered a pizza. The lady working behind the counter then proceeds to give me my plate. On it she places the table number card holder smack on my clean plate. That table card holder has seen lots of juicy goodies as it swishes across all tables over the course of several years.

Corrected her on the spot. Maybe in her old African continent style place they did not worry about that style of attention to detail but I thought she needs training.

Was polite about it but sure a turn off.

The other time the crazy dude working behind the coffee bar stunk worse than a billy goat that's two years old.

Now this really turned my Italian Calabrese wife right off. She then went right to the owner and set things straight. They are all from the same area so no big deal.

She told the owner the employees really need to watch their personal hygiene.

Hopefully the place is better.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:17 PM

Ha. You better not go in the kitchen. You would run away screaming.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 PM

Cool Meh

The only 'Real' safe place is back inside your bubble

Best you all stay there

Old 05-21-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangosteen View Post
The worst was at Spinelli bar on 105.

Ordered a pizza. The lady working behind the counter then proceeds to give me my plate. On it she places the table number card holder smack on my clean plate. That table card holder has seen lots of juicy goodies as it swishes across all tables over the course of several years.

Corrected her on the spot. Maybe in her old African continent style place they did not worry about that style of attention to detail but I thought she needs training.

Was polite about it but sure a turn off.

The other time the crazy dude working behind the coffee bar stunk worse than a billy goat that's two years old.

Now this really turned my Italian Calabrese wife right off. She then went right to the owner and set things straight. They are all from the same area so no big deal.

She told the owner the employees really need to watch their personal hygiene.

Hopefully the place is better.
Man if you were a fly on the wall at any restaurant, bathroom, neighbors kitchen, couch or carpet, hotel beds, food processing plant, butcher shop, your friends automobile, public transit ...OMG, you would go bezerk and never eat or touch anything anywhere. Do you disinfect your money, door handles, shopping cart handle, the debit machine you grab and swipe your card with and everything the public or anyone else touches, computer keyboard at work, etc., etc., are covered with bacteria, feces and all manner of filthy things. Good heavens don't ever sit down in the waiting room at the doctors, dentists or hospital, they are some of the most contaminated places on earth even though they may look spotless. Mysophobia, don't let it take over your life....
Old 05-21-2017, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Man if you were a fly on the wall at any restaurant, bathroom, neighbors kitchen, couch or carpet, hotel beds, food processing plant, butcher shop, your friends automobile, public transit ...OMG, you would go bezerk and never eat or touch anything anywhere. Do you disinfect your money, door handles, shopping cart handle, the debit machine you grab and swipe your card with and everything the public or anyone else touches, computer keyboard at work, etc., etc., are covered with bacteria, feces and all manner of filthy things. Good heavens don't ever sit down in the waiting room at the doctors, dentists or hospital, they are some of the most contaminated places on earth even though they may look spotless. Mysophobia, don't let it take over your life....
Hehe. Not that bad but I don't directly touch public washroom door handles at any time. Do you?

Hospitals indeed are the most risky places.

With debit machines I try not to hold the whole machine but rather slide the card in while it's on the counter.

How about the lady at the butcher shop handling money and then proceeding to cut your meat without wearing gloves? I am sure you would prefer to suck it up and stay silent. Or maybe not?

Working overseas in rough places you learn to wash your hands many times per day. In some places in the Middle East and Africa there is lots of hand shaking going on to be polite and culturally astute. You learn fast.

Hell I had food poisoning so bad one time in Khartoum Sudan that I could not hold water for 3 and a half days.

Unclean hands touching the wrong thing preparing food.

You will know once you have been exposed to the cultures and travelled lots to where the oil is hard to find.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Banned

....and on the OCD forum.......
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

World is a scary place. Stay home, be safe.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:07 PM
Banned

This is trully a first world problem. I witnessed a fellow sneeze in line at Tim Hortons about 2 years ago. Disgusting. Staff did not eject him and sanitize building. I haven't been back since.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Ha. You better not go in the kitchen. You would run away screaming.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
This is trully a first world problem. I witnessed a fellow sneeze in line at Tim Hortons about 2 years ago. Disgusting. Staff did not eject him and sanitize building. I haven't been back since.
Ok, this got me chuckling.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:15 AM

Since when did Tony Sopranos mom start frequenting the forum?

Marshall McLuhan
Old 05-22-2017, 02:26 AM
Banned

Then there's the awful pools to worry about. Do not swim when you have diarrhea, or better yet stay out of pools all together.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3464371/a-...-in-your-pool/
Old 05-22-2017, 02:49 AM

I used to eat gum from under the table top at restaurants until I came to my senses and realized it would be so easy for some deranged person to hide a booger in it before sticking it up there. Disgusting. Totally turned me off. I get where the op is coming from.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I used to eat gum from under the table top at restaurants until I came to my senses and realized it would be so easy for some deranged person to hide a booger in it before sticking it up there. Disgusting. Totally turned me off. I get where the op is coming from.
OMG, funny stuff!

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
Then there's the awful pools to worry about. Do not swim when you have diarrhea, or better yet stay out of pools all together.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3464371/a-...-in-your-pool/
A very real problem. Can you imagine the swimming pools in Germany these days? Anyone swimming in any pools in the vicinity of 107 ave around 115 street. The strong healthy bucks posting should test their body immune system for real.

I would rather swim in a lake than a public pool. Maybe at the Spa in Europe with loads of fresh mineral water coming in but never here. Never.

By the sounds of the " tough as nails " posters on here please tell me you never catch athletes foot in the shower stalls at your holiday camping excursion as you never wear anything under your feet when stepping into public showers.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:30 AM

While we're at it, let's not forget kid's dirty boots in grocery carts. A lot more of that goes on.

Grizz
Old 05-22-2017, 07:45 AM

We went out for dinner last week. My 4 y o son spilled his water. A waitress came out to mop it up. The mop was absolutly disgusting. I have never smelled a worse smell. The mop was repulsive. It stunk up the whole section.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:02 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Meh, should travel a bit and see the real world to make such a rant as such.

Funny thing is the squeaky wheel again will get the grease and a no cleaning policy will be implemented during work hours...hey what's this greasy glob stuck under the table...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-22-2017, 08:14 AM

I don't want to eat in a restaurant that doesn't sweep the floors all day long.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:24 AM

Sounds like "Howard Hughes" Syndrom to me. Yes some hygiene practises are bad but you cannot control people. Just wash your hands well or avoid people.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:30 AM

I personally appreciate stores that have sanitizing wipes right next to shopping carts. The handles on those things are gross. I get quite a kid out of seeing three foot tall kids lick those handles off, just to see who else has been shopping there.....ick.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 05-22-2017, 08:38 AM
Banned

I renovated the old earls in kelowna which is now the black bear grill. I have never seen more rat chit on t bar tiles in my life and BTW this was in the kitchen. Told the owner and he laughed.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophybook View Post
I renovated the old earls in kelowna which is now the black bear grill. I have never seen more rat chit on t bar tiles in my life and BTW this was in the kitchen. Told the owner and he laughed.
Lots of rats in The Valley. Raccoons too.

Bad Tatoo was where they were stubbornly sweeping the floor while we were enjoying the thin crust stone oven pizza. Great pizza. The best like in Italy. But just dumb servants.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
I personally appreciate stores that have sanitizing wipes right next to shopping carts. The handles on those things are gross. I get quite a kid out of seeing three foot tall kids lick those handles off, just to see who else has been shopping there.....ick.
Yep and I think it's classy for restaurants and hotels along with wineries to have that garbage bin next to the inside of the door at the bathrooms so you can grab the handle through a paper towel and then just leave the paper towel drop into the basket. It's not just me. There are many that are careful.

It's not any syndrome or fear. It's common sense. Ever wonder why flu spreads so fast.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:52 AM

I used to watch at Earls (an Edmonton location) as they would put the food out on a counter for the wait staff to take to the customers. Flies would be dropping down on the food in the interim.

Then there was the McDonalds visit that I'd promised my young girl to, if she would put up with my trip to the farm implement store, which took me a half hour to find. Finally as we approached the McDonald's counter I looked up and counted at least 13 flies over the counter alone. Just couldn't go through with it and dragged my daughter out.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:54 AM

It infuriates me when people have the gall to eat while I am trying to sweep the floor
Old 05-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
While we're at it, let's not forget kid's dirty boots in grocery carts. A lot more of that goes on.

Grizz
Not the boots, it's the dirty diapers, urine, drool and snot from all the babies/toddlers that sit in them. Nothing better than grabbing a slimy cart handle, lol. Just think of all the chicken and meat juice that has leaked and dribbled through that cart over the years as you lay that nice fresh leafy head of romaine lettuce into the cart.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:00 AM

The gooder is those boxes of Tim Hortons timbits or doughnuts at work. Left the bathroom the same time as a coworker and noticed he didn't wash his hands. Went right for the timbits in the customer lounge right after. I don't eat carbs or sugar so I didnt care. Enjoy folks... lol