Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-21-2009, 03:56 PM

Default Made a visit to Accurate Archery Shop

My daughters boyfriend just recently purchased a used bow as he is just getting into bow hunting. The bow needed to be set up for him, so I thought I would check out Accurate Archery south of Spruce Grove. I was very pleased with the service. Lawrence probably spent close to an hour fine tuning the bow and making several adjustments to the bow/sights until the shooter was consistently shooting groups within a pie plate circle at 20yrds. The new archer was very excited to say the least. Lawrence has a nice little shop there and he is already needing to expand. He pretty much has everything a bow hunter needs. I'd definitely go back. We're lucky to have a couple good bow shops west of the city.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:19 PM

X2, Lawrence knows his stuff, and has the stuff. Great guy to deal with.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 PM

where is he located
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesteader View Post
X2, Lawrence knows his stuff, and has the stuff. Great guy to deal with.
Ha, he knows enough to sell you stuff. After the basics its all non-sense.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
where is he located
Sureshot,
He's about 1 mile south of Secondary 627 on RR272, give him a call for exact directions 499-0664.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcon View Post
Ha, he knows enough to sell you stuff. After the basics its all non-sense.
Not exactly sure what you're getting at Tcon. I was in the market for a new outfit and he had what I wanted, low pressure, excellent advice, excellent service, excellent selection, and the best prices I've seen to date. So I guess if that's all it takes, he does know enough to sell me stuff.

You know of better shops in the Edmonton area you are free to share with the rest of us, competition is good.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Not exactly sure what you're getting at Tcon. I was in the market for a new outfit and he had what I wanted, low pressure, excellent advice, excellent service, excellent selection, and the best prices I've seen to date. So I guess if that's all it takes, he does know enough to sell me stuff.

You know of better shops in the Edmonton area you are free to share with the rest of us, competition is good.
Has nothing to do with you.
Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM

u can get way better prices from swampdonkey and more knowlegble service just about any where else.. lawrence has barely basic know how..

for service and set up go to rob at trophybook or martin at swamp donkey
Old 08-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
u can get way better prices from swampdonkey and more knowlegble service just about any where else.. lawrence has barely basic know how..

I disagree, but I'm glad we have several shops to choose from.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:43 AM

where is swamp donkey never heard of it before
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 08-27-2009, 02:23 PM

http://www.buffalovalley.ca/swampdonkey/index.htm , there's some info.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Quote:

Couldn't agree more. Rob is a great guy, helped me out a couple of times. Just met Martin the other day, seems pretty knowledgeable as well, plus great prices.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:07 PM

Over the past year martin (Swampdonkey)has set up a bow for my wife,my son and myself with no complaints at all. Fine tunes everything for free and lets us shoot in his yard.Excellent service and prices.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:13 PM

Default Lil Archery Stores

what you might find is that Martin from SwampDonkey may well have cheap items, but they are not exactly all the "known" brands. He has a lot of deals for sure and knows a lot about archery, but when I took my Bowtech for a service he couldnt fix the issues I had. He tried all day with me which is great service and I would use him again, however, I dont believe he has a business license. Of course I may well be very wrong and if I am I apologize, but one was not on display when I visited his place (many times) and all his sales are cash only (or at least they were all last year including the trade shows).

My preference is Lawrence from Accurate Archery. watched me take one shot of the Bowtech, knew what was wrong and fixed it in about an hour. He has a business license that I could see on the wall anyways, he has sales with debit or credit card and has a great selection (including license to sell big name brands such as matthews etc). Super helpful and my #1 pick., with Martin # 2.

However, if there are any other folks out there that you guys know of who you think are even better, let our Bowhunting buddies know.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM

Default Lil Archery Stores

OK, so on second thoughts, it appears Lawrence is out of action as he is now running the Cabellas store opening in the 1st 2 weeks of August.

That sucks, so back to Martin
Old 06-26-2011, 12:48 PM

Cabelas got a heck of a good guy, good luck Lawerence.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:16 PM

If it wasn't for the fact that Jim at pipestone creek archery doesn't always have what I'm looking for, I probably would never go anywhere else! I'm a red neck, and I have a certain way I shoot! Kisser button and aim off the string! Never used a peep, and don't plan on ever using one! Every other shop has at least one employee that tells me I need to get a peep! I realize my accuracy may improve with a peep! I was at Sherwood park archery yesterday shooting my new Hoyt, when the young guy behind the counter, pointed out that I've been shooting with too long of a draw for the last 7 years! And that my anchor is in the wrong spot! And that my accuracy is going to suffer! Well I don't have it fully set up yet and don't have a kisser on it yet, so the fact that out of a 3 arrow group I was keeping it inside 2 inches every time at 20 yards must be dumb luck! Especially since the first two arrows every time were touching! And the third one was off an inch and a half!

Sorry guys, long drawn out story to point out the fact that, as an employee in an archery shop, you are there to help customers and answer their questions! Not criticize their shooting form, and try to force them into buying something they don't want!! Anyways, if Sherwood park wasnt the only place to buy Hoyt, I would go else where! At least on certain days! I still hold true to my saying from last week! I would gladly deal with Ralph again! But prefer not to deal with the youngsters that work there!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:15 PM

My last Compound bow buying experience was a miserable journey.

It started at Pipestone creek.... where he Jim measured my draw length an inch too long.... ordered a bow in for me..... but then his distributor sent him the wrong model.... but boy did i get the " look " as i refused to take the bow I never ordered.............and he always "pushes" TruGlo on a person

So... off to Sherwood Park Archery.............. dropped $1800 in thier store...... they set it up ok... said to go fire 300 arrows or so, sight in the sights.....and come back if I have problems. I had some tuning issues with the rest... came into the store and asked for help, and I got a No we dont do that. This was when Joe Winter owned the store. They measured me too short, and I ended up buying 2 dozen arrows cut too short........ they set up the rest waaaaaaaaaay off.. and a few other problems. The bow was a nightmare and I actually did not want to shoot it.

So I took Rackmastrs advice... and drove to Calgary Archery Center... they fixed up the bow.... the serving had been wound too tight and something else to the string that actually ruined the string.. they replaced it for next to nothing .. and aided me in walk back tuning . Gave me a great deal on arrows and gave me a rangefinder with no GST. They were informative...no pressure.... were concerned for my wants and needs. They basically re-set up a bow from the ground up and it was for a bow that was bought some where else.

My up coming bow purchase will be at Calgary Archery Center... they really know they're stuff and know what they sell
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 PM

Now that I think about it, Jim does try to push the stuff he sells, It is more the archery lanes! I'd much rather shoot out there at pipestone!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Now that I think about it, Jim does try to push the stuff he sells, It is more the archery lanes! I'd much rather shoot out there at pipestone!
yeah... its like he pushes what he brings in... I honestly have been to alot of shops in and around edmonton.. i get a bad feeling in all of them... but when i walk into CAC... i feel relaxed. I havent been in Swamp Donkey...yet. But I think a 3 hour drive is worth peace of mind. then again.. i drive to calgary mon-friday ... and CAC is 5 mins from my Calgary trailer yard LOL...BONUS !!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Cabelas got a heck of a good guy, good luck Lawerence.
X2! Was too good a deal to pass up, apparently. He sounds really excited about the opportunity. I would have done the same!

I'm going to miss the nice shop he had set up... I'd prefer that to going to a big store. That being said, he's committing to giving the same level of service at his new place. I'm looking forward to checking it out. May take my wife and her bow out there for a setup session... Maybe buy her dinner and make it a date!

Stinky
Old 07-19-2011, 08:37 PM

X 3 on Lawrence, super nice guy, VERY knowledgable. Sucks he's closed, I was thinking to going and getting set up with Axis arrows from him, not because of the price, not because I need to, but because it's nice to go BS for an hour or so and get the inside scoop how everyones doing in the bowzone. Another thing, when you see him out and about in your community he knows you.
I bought my first bow from Jerry at wholesale - he was awesome, now he's gone. I THOUGHT Rob left trophy book prior to last season (good guy also, very friendly, knowledgable for a young guy)... and now no Lawrence... what to do, what to do??? Maybe try Cabela's, I'm just worried their prices will be cranked up as compared to the states for absolutely NO REASON, just like BASS PRO. Oh ya, I bought my bow at Sherwood Park Archery, because they had the largest selection of lefties to try, they tuned it perfectly and I've never been back; to long of a drive. All in all I have good feedback on all the local shops, although since buying my first bow at wholesale (Jerry) - I would have to say they have gone down the toilet, both in supply and service.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 PM

Could be wrong....but I think Lawrence is the new bow counter guy @ Cabela's....likely a good move on their part.

LC
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM

Yeh...Lawrence will be Cabelas...Go-To-Archery Guy. They sure got the right guy for that position. I will also miss going out to BS with Lawrence at his little, but busy and successful archery shop. Lawrence did really well for himself out there. I also met a lot of good guys going out there. I guess I will have to just spend more time at Cabelas now. Good luck Lawrence.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:50 PM

X3 on the good luck Lawrence, he will do very well there, he is both knowledgable and personable. It's interesting that the folks who do well in the industry have one thing in common and that's a real passion for it.

I knew Jerry long before he went to wholesale, he was a very avid archery whitetail hunter. I remember Being at his trailer in Vimy 25 years ago he had made his own whitetail decoy, it was a lumber / chicken wire frame covered in old brown carpet he'd pulled out of the dump.He had a set of shed antlers that you could screw in and out depending if you wanted a buck or a doe. The guy was crazy about archery hunting and it showed.

Robbie's been gone from trophy book since Dan sold it, crazy little bugger. Funnier than a set of rubber crutches. I built a long bow out of maple but couldn't get it shooting well. He watched me shoot 3 arrows, moved my nock and changed how I held my fingers and I was bang on in no time. The others in the shop in that ea knew their stuff as well. It's a pleasure to interact with folks who enjoy what they are doing.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 PM

Where is Robb now? Yeh, he was also great to deal with. Always willing to help out. I remember I was purchasing a youth licience at Cdn. Tire and they didnt know how or what codes to enter in order to print a licence for my daughter. Well, I called Robb at Trophy Book and he was able to talk the sales clerk at Cdn tire through the correct process so that I could get the youth licence. No thats service.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:04 PM

Quote:

this is the biggest crock of " s*it " to be posted on this forum! Martin Tinney couldn't tune a bow to save his life...you are right about better prices though, crap and nockoff merchandise should be cheaper then quality, field proven merchandise... Martin needs to find a better way to get people to come to his shop, then having people like your self get on this forum and trash talk Lawrence. Martin is only jealous of lawrence... if you really knew Lawrence and really knew Martin, I'm sure you would agree with me. would you spend your money on something you couldn't get some kind of warrenty on, you know what i mean? like a bow, knife, game call, shooting block. you go purchase that kind of stuff from Lawrence and its deffective he is honerable enough to replace it, fix it or help you out in some kind of way. From personal experience Martin would do none of this, Swamp Donkey is cheap, sells cheap crap, I purchased 10 luma knocks off him, out of the 10 only six worked, called him up about it, his response was " discontiued items are as is " if you know anything about hunting gear, they're not discontinued, whole sale sports brings them in twice a month till this day.You deal with Swamp Donkey just be carefull, he's only interested in how much money he can get off you and how fast he can get it.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avidhunter View Post
what you might find is that Martin from SwampDonkey may well have cheap items, but they are not exactly all the "known" brands. He has a lot of deals for sure and knows a lot about archery, but when I took my Bowtech for a service he couldnt fix the issues I had. He tried all day with me which is great service and I would use him again, however, I dont believe he has a business license. Of course I may well be very wrong and if I am I apologize, but one was not on display when I visited his place (many times) and all his sales are cash only (or at least they were all last year including the trade shows).

My preference is Lawrence from Accurate Archery. watched me take one shot of the Bowtech, knew what was wrong and fixed it in about an hour. He has a business license that I could see on the wall anyways, he has sales with debit or credit card and has a great selection (including license to sell big name brands such as matthews etc). Super helpful and my #1 pick., with Martin # 2.

However, if there are any other folks out there that you guys know of who you think are even better, let our Bowhunting buddies know.
absolutly true!!!! no business license, all sales made with cash to hide it from the tax man. and there again couldn't fix your bow, but is a self proclaimed bow tuner. Martin gives this sport a bad name, im sure theres enough people at Prairie mines that would happily agree with me.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vls6mm View Post
this is the biggest crock of " s*it " to be posted on this forum! Martin Tinney couldn't tune a bow to save his life...you are right about better prices though, crap and nockoff merchandise should be cheaper then quality, field proven merchandise... Martin needs to find a better way to get people to come to his shop, then having people like your self get on this forum and trash talk Lawrence. Martin is only jealous of lawrence... if you really knew Lawrence and really knew Martin, I'm sure you would agree with me. would you spend your money on something you couldn't get some kind of warrenty on, you know what i mean? like a bow, knife, game call, shooting block. you go purchase that kind of stuff from Lawrence and its deffective he is honerable enough to replace it, fix it or help you out in some kind of way. From personal experience Martin would do none of this, Swamp Donkey is cheap, sells cheap crap, I purchased 10 luma knocks off him, out of the 10 only six worked, called him up about it, his response was " discontiued items are as is " if you know anything about hunting gear, they're not discontinued, whole sale sports brings them in twice a month till this day.You deal with Swamp Donkey just be carefull, he's only interested in how much money he can get off you and how fast he can get it.
X 1,000,000 SWAMP DONKEY SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not take your bow there to be worked on, the man has no idea!! cheap, cheap, cheap.,..everything he's got in his shop is cheap no name stuff. but he knows how to stick it to on shipping cost, i watched him rip a young kid off for $300 one night about a month ago. i will not take any of my business there again, what a way to put a bad taste in someones mouth who's looking to get into hunting....take him for $300 bucks. Go to Jim Bow, or Lawremce those guys know there stuff.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt7mm View Post
Where is Robb now? Yeh, he was also great to deal with. Always willing to help out. I remember I was purchasing a youth licience at Cdn. Tire and they didnt know how or what codes to enter in order to print a licence for my daughter. Well, I called Robb at Trophy Book and he was able to talk the sales clerk at Cdn tire through the correct process so that I could get the youth licence. No thats service.
He works the archery/ optics counter at WSS South. He still owns Trophybrook but is now pushing his stuff through WSS.

I ordered a dozen arrows from him 2 weeks ago and never heard back, he said he had them in stock

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."