Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 08:53 PM

Default Great day of hunting with the kids!

Well...today was one of the best days of hunting this year and I have been in some great places of Alberta this fall. After the rain stopped today I decided to go and find my range finder that I lost during my mule hunt yesterday. My 6 yr old twins wanted to come along and help so off we went. It took a little bit of time but with laughing over cow patties and deer raisins we found it. I was pretty happy to find it and asked the girls what's next...well it was "Let's get a deer!!"...So off we went for some trophy mule does with muzzle loader!!!
After some spotting and walking we were having a blast...every gopher hole, cow patty and bird was an adventure. I thought the weather was nice and the girls were full of energy that we would try some serious walking. Not sure if many have walked while hunting with two 6 yr olds but it quite the experience!!! We worked our way around some clumps and there was our first doe and fawn..I could not get a clear shot with my black powder so we played tag with them for a while...we crested a hill and there were deer everywhere!!! But they were all bucks...some small ones, some meduim ones and some bruisers! We watched them for awhile..all under 150 yrds..My girls took turns range finding them and trying to get me to shoot one! Finally they spooked might of had something to do with them sword fighting with sticks and laughing so much!! But it made me laugh pretty hard..and it was a blast. We worked our way to a dug out in the section and there was a doe. After making sure they both could see her and after they barked at her pretending to be coyotes she gave me a shot. They loved the cloud of smoke and one of my tags was filled...
It was a great day of hunting and they never tired of the questions...what's that...the heart...what's that..the lungs...what's that.....it's poop and on and on!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:55 PM

Thats Awesome!!
Old 10-18-2009, 08:59 PM

Cute kids shed, great doe, AND amazing country (thats the kind I like).

Thanks for posting

Last edited by hunter10; 10-18-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:20 PM

WOW! Pretty good couple days there, Shed. If I agree that it is man that is warming the planet will you take me too?

Congrats on the buck, the found rangerfinder, the doe and some pretty damn cute kids! Mine are 8 and 4 and have been 'bowhunting' with me twice so far and I hear ya about the laughter and swordfights. Good on ya for getting them out there.

Tree
Old 10-18-2009, 09:34 PM

Thats great. I have two girls of my own, and would love to do this with them one day!!
Old 10-18-2009, 09:35 PM

Tree no problem...next time your in the area!
Try explaining to a 6 yr old that we are not mounting the doe (the one hugging the deer)...it is so funny! I should add that F/W should get a lot of props for adding the primitive weapon season, it's great for kids to get out hunting without the -20 weather.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:36 PM

well shane it is good to see your luck has changed.
thaught i was going to have to give you some of my moose so ya could
feed the family.....LMAO....
just kidding
good job/good you found your rangefinder. girls found it didn't they?
Old 10-18-2009, 10:01 PM

Great story and pictures. Me and my daughter were talking today about the first time I took her deer hunting. I had to feed her smarties to keep her quiet and we saw a few does.Later I got a rabbit and she helped me skin it. Great memories
Salty
Old 10-18-2009, 10:02 PM

Shane you outta start writing kids books with a hunting theme !! Thats pretty sweet and what an adventure it must have been for the Girls , and all positive by the sounds of it. Did you keep any stuff for their show and tell, Like cow patties & Deer raisins.

Lets see about your luck,,,3 days ago you arrow a Nice 4 Point Muley Buck,lose the rangefinder which is another good excuse to go back out with the kids,take the Black Powder, Go on a little field trip "Find the Rangefinder", Harvest a Doe with them....and answer a whole lot of questions. Good on ya Dad..

Now lets go back a step in the story about Muley Bucks....Bruisers ??? GPS locations etc....what were you saying again.

Oh and Congrats Eh.
Old 10-18-2009, 10:29 PM

Fantastic experience for the girls and you! You sound like a terrific Dad! The way you were showing them everything and letting them experience everything and best of all everyone having a blast doing it is absolutely great. You will have some eager hunting partners in the years to come.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:24 AM

Great report. Your kids will never forget that day!
Old 10-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Atta boy Shed. Those pics are priceless.....I don't think there is any way that you will be able to wipe the smiles off their faces. Good on you for taking the time to get your kids out in the outdoors.......I'm taking my step daughter out with me after cougar in December........she can't wait and I can't either Thanks for the post........Marco
Old 10-19-2009, 07:32 AM

Very cool, my little girl loves hunting with her dad, it's quite rewarding toget the kids out there. Great story and pictures!
Old 10-19-2009, 08:33 AM
Banned

Good stuff shed,, I say it time and again it just doesn't get any better than the hunts with the kids.. It really is the best of times..
Old 10-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Nothin' finer than that shed, days like that makes a man feel like your on top of the whole world. Congrats on a great day, and deer.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Looks like it sure was a great day of hunting with your kids.
I love seeing hunting pictures with kids in them. It brings back memories of not so long ago when I was one of those kids out enjoy time in the field with my Dad.

Thanks for sharing.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-19-2009, 02:32 PM

What a fantastic day that I am sure none of you will ever forget, what a memory!

Thanks for sharing your story and some great pics, a day in the field with the kids, it does not get any better.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Great Storey and glad to see kids out there.

I promissed my boys a Tree Stand we can all fit in for next year as they love the videos I take while I am up there.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:01 PM

Shed, right on! Great seeing the kids out there having fun. My 8 yr old boy and i are having a great time this season too. These are times we won't forget with the kdis and neither will they. I at the walking with six year old comment as it has to be the same as walking with an eight year old; an experience!! Good luck on the remainder of your the season.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:19 PM

Oh i remember those days, out huntin' with the boy...dad was cool...now its his mustang and girls lol. Looks like fun was had by all
Old 10-20-2009, 08:51 AM

Awesome story and congrats on the doe! And even bigger congrats on being able to take her with kids along! I definatley know the struggles of trying to line up on a target with kids jumping and hoot and hollering!lol It's great to get them out enjoying the sport! as for mounting the doe...we started a "trophy" wall outside on a shed....anything that doesn't get mounted for in the house is on there...including doe/cow skulls.....just a thought