Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-18-2009, 08:06 AM

Default About opportunity abd success

About the previous post I posted....What it was about is why outfitters find it necessary to manipulate there rate of success and opportunity to book a hunt, I just got back from a moose hunt with a outfitter located in the Slave Lake area who I met at a Sportsmens Show, the hunt was a TOTAL nightmare starting from the time the outfitter received my money. The guide was great I am sure he did the best he could with the resources he had. I am to blame to some point I didn't do enought research on this outfitter I took his word and line of crap and paid the price. I am trying to prevent this from happening to other hunters by posting as many reviews as I can, should I seek legal actions....YOUR THOUGHTS
Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM

well did you get a moose?

what was the outfitters name as well so people on this forum do not go there and waste their money as well.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:48 PM
guidehunt

i have guided for 25 odd yrs and i also worked for this outfitter it still boggles my mind how many hunters come to a different country to hunt and have done little or know reseach on the outfitter or the area they are going to hunt .if i was going to spend 6to10 grand on a moose hunt i would be talking to local biologist ,game wardens ,outfitters ,rcmp and find out all i could about the area and game i was going to hunt ,i know the guide and he knows moose that dosent help if there are very little moose in the area ,this could have been avoided with lots of reseach and some phone calls .it a shame this outfitter still lies about there rate of sucess i would call apos and complain .some of these so called outfitters give alberta a bad name.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
i would call apos and complain .some of these so called outfitters give alberta a bad name.
Why would APOS care?They won't even take action against members that have been convicted of wildlife act offenses as well as criminal acts.

The best way to avoid a nightmare like you had is to check many references,and make sure they were recent clients.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:55 PM
guidehunt

that is true about a.p.o.s. and there policeing of there members i have worked for lots of them and i have finely found a great one to work for
Old 10-18-2009, 08:10 PM

Sorry to hear that, especially if you didn't get your moose. I own a business and believe that you should stand behind your work.
Be honest, say what you can do, then do what you say.

I guess the problem you've stated is you were mislead about success rates. I can see why if a guide said he gets his animal 50% of the time he might not be high on the list to get your money.

I don't believe in legal action for these things (buyer beware). Bad reputation and references yes. Hopefully that should be enough to separate the good guys from the bad guys.
I'd be interested to hear from the guides on here.

If you want to own a business you should be added to a list then anyone that has hired you should be able to give you some kind of rating wether your a plumber, guide, or forester.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Why would APOS care?They won't even take action against members that have been convicted of wildlife act offenses as well as criminal acts.

The best way to avoid a nightmare like you had is to check many references,and make sure they were recent clients.
x2 APOS will defend it members to the end...
Old 10-19-2009, 10:27 AM

Default About opportunity abd success

GUSTHEDUDOG:

Are you disapointed with the entire hunt or just the fact that you were unsuccessful at harvesting a moose??

If you were not treated very well, had guides that did not work hard for you ect. then you have a legitimate complaint.

I am an outfitter and I run moose hunts in the same area you hunted this year. I generally have a very high success rate and only take a few hunters each year to keep those rates high. This was a strange year with weather and it really threw the moose behavior off while we were hunting and because of this we were not as successful as we usually are and because of this year it will change the success rates I claim for the future.

I would expect that you encountered the same problems and your outfitter likely did not mis-represent the hunt at all. It is just more likely that the unusual weather we had kept the moose from moving around much.

Now if you have a complaint about how you were treated, accomodations, food or guiding provided that is different. In this case you can go through the A.P.O.S. discipline process. Alot of guys on here don't think it works but if you have all of you information in order and are not just complaining about not harvesting a moose then the process does work.

And please remember. It is called hunting, not killing. It is unfortunate that you were unsuccessful but did you get the 'HUNT' you purchased?

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceudell View Post
GUSTHEDUDOG:

Are you disapointed with the entire hunt or just the fact that you were unsuccessful at harvesting a moose??

Now if you have a complaint about how you were treated, accomodations, food or guiding provided that is different. In this case you can go through the A.P.O.S. discipline process. Alot of guys on here don't think it works but if you have all of you information in order and are not just complaining about not harvesting a moose then the process does work.

And please remember. It is called hunting, not killing. It is unfortunate that you were unsuccessful but did you get the 'HUNT' you purchased?

Hope this helps.
x2