Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 PM

I've had a few old furts tell me I couldn't hunt the road allowance along thier properties. I kindly let them know that I know my rights. As for a rifle behind the door, you couldn't make it far enough and an open field wouldn't help. The group should have split up, and called him on.
Old 10-18-2009, 07:02 AM

Glad to hear you and the land owner have a great relationship.

I would report the neighbour for threatening you with his rilfe.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:28 AM

"Show respect! (even if you dont get any in return)."

Part of the show respect is to stay clear of a residence.

As I said the resident doesnt know you. You are hunting to close to his house. His comments about/with the 7mm were wrong. But you didnt need to get that close to his house either.

Should have added that the OP did try to be "nice" about it right from the start but part of showing respect is giving a residence some space.

Last edited by huntsfurfish; 10-18-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
"Show respect! (even if you dont get any in return)."

Part of the show respect is to stay clear of a residence.

As I said the resident doesnt know you. You are hunting to close to his house. His comments about/with the 7mm were wrong. But you didnt need to get that close to his house either.

Should have added that the OP did try to be "nice" about it right from the start but part of showing respect is giving a residence some space.
Everything to me in thebuckshow post shows nothing but respect. He didn't fire his shotgun towards, accross or within 200m of the property. He was walking by with a fire arm. He did absolutely nothing wrong! Would you be PO'd if someone drove past your house slowly with a legal firearm showing say on a quad or a bike?

It's like the joke where the woman is reading in a boat with fishing gear and no licence and a Fish and Wildlife officer asks her for her licence and she doesn't have one. He is going to give her a ticket because she has all the equipment to do it. She starts yelling rape, officer asks what she is doing he is not raping her. She replies yes but you have all the right equipment to do it. Officer leaves!

People are looking at things more and more that because they can do something that they will do that, not everyone is going to break the law because they can.

He wasn't trespassing, shooting towards a residence, or anthing like that. He was walking toward a flushed covie of birds. There was absolutley nothing wrong done on his part as for the property owner threatening him with a gun well innocent until proven guilty but that is for the courts to decide but it really should be reported to the authorities! That though is for thebuckshow to decide!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:49 AM

And once again,

"Part of the show respect is to stay clear of a residence."

crossing 15' behind the guys backyard?

It wasnt illegal as I stated before but it wasnt very respectful either.

Things could have/should have been done differently from the start. Stay clear of the residence.

Guess no one else on here sees that. Really sad. With these kinds of attitudes it wont be long before we cant hunt anywhere.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:43 AM

Default Wow

After reading every post on this thread...and understanding both sides of the "coin" as well as one can on internet forum boards I can still only come to one conclusion.....

A THREAT WAS MADE WITH A FIREARM!!!!!!!!!

(Even an implied threat is still a threat - he didnt come right out and say he was going to kill you with his 7mm but he implied it)

Holy S*&T.....it doesnt matter who was in the wrong/right/courtesy/non-courtesy/black/white/yellow....you get my point....a threat was made with a firearm. I dont know why there is ANY debate on this topic....the homeowner should be brought up on charges for threating to use a firearm. What do you think would happen if a police officer was standing at your fence and for whatever reason you didnt want him to be there and you told him that you have a " 7mm at the back door and you better be 200 yds away by the time I come back out of my house "...... I would tend to think you either A) wouldnt make it back into the house to get said rifle or B) you would be hog tied and put in the back of the squad car for a little trip to the station.

People who use guns to threaten other people should have thier rights to own guns removed....its people like him that ruin it for the rest of us.

My 2 cents....
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 AM

Quote:
And once again,

"Part of the show respect is to stay clear of a residence."

crossing 15' behind the guys backyard?

It wasnt illegal as I stated before but it wasnt very respectful either.

Things could have/should have been done differently from the start. Stay clear of the residence.

Guess no one else on here sees that. Really sad. With these kinds of attitudes it wont be long before we cant hunt anywhere.
So what exactly is the distance a person carrying a gun should stay away from a property he doesn't have permission for and still remain "respectful"?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So, u live in Calgary....would u be a little upset if u were sitting on your deck and 2-3 strangers came walking down your back alley with guns ???? might make u think,, u did have permission on the land you were on...but...common courtesy ...even if it's 20ft. away would be to go around or stop and talk with the Gent
I wasn't going to respond, but a few posts later you asked for responses, so OK...

If I walked down your alley with my gun and was perfectly legal in every way and you went off on me like the landowner did, I'd whip out my cell phone and say "Well, let me help you out in reporting me. I'll call the police (or F&W) and you can report me and have them over here pronto. Here's my licence so you can identify me properly.... oh, and I'll be sure to let them know you said you were going to get your 7mm and I'd better not be here when you get back.... OK, it's Officer Smith on the line. Here ya go..."

Last edited by Okotokian; 10-19-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
So, u live in Calgary....would u be a little upset if u were sitting on your deck and 2-3 strangers came walking down your back alley with guns ???? might make u think,, u did have permission on the land you were on...but...common courtesy ...even if it's 20ft. away would be to go around or stop and talk with the Gent
X2
Old 10-19-2009, 10:43 AM

When I first read this thread I said to myself it sounds like Mr. O is a nut job and I wonder what Mr. X thinks of him. Well buckshow has been able to confirm Mr. O is a nut job by talking to Mr. X. Having said that, buckshow it might not have mattered to Mr. O how far away you were from his place, he could easily have just wanted a confrontation. If he's making threats with a gun I'd probably just avoid the area anyway. If he shot me it really would'nt matter to me if he was right or wrong as I would be dead either way.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:10 PM

I think Mr. Nutjob, lol, aka Mr. O, wanted the birds for himself knowing the other landowner was away on vacation. Now that you have talked with the landowner and found out that he in not happy with said "O", maybe call and report O to the authorities to help out Mr. X
xoxo, lol

OH and yes I would love to go out and get some huns with you. PM Me.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
That analogy is VERY weak. There is nothing wrong with staying on the land you have permission for and passing by the home of someone else. It's not like he was discharging his weapon around the home. What's he supposed to do, teleport past the home?

The idea of someone walking down the alley in Calgary carrying a firearm being equated to someone carrying a firearm in the countryside during hunting season is ridiculous. Obviously the context of the two situations is very different, the OP did nothing wrong.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM

I really am beginning to understand what and why farmers and ranchers seem to think about hunters after reading some of these posts.

Really sad.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:56 PM

"So what exactly is the distance a person carrying a gun should stay away from a property he doesn't have permission for and still remain "respectful"? "

Just sayin 15' is close. Why not give a residence a good 3 or 4 hundred yard buffer. Guess there is little respect for people that live there. Would it hurt?

Ive heard several horror stories of shots being fired close to there farm/ranch houses from friends and neighbors and some firsthand(grew up on a ranch). Part of the respect would be/should be in giving a house a wide berth!
Old 10-19-2009, 05:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
"So what exactly is the distance a person carrying a gun should stay away from a property he doesn't have permission for and still remain "respectful"? "

Just sayin 15' is close. Why not give a residence a good 3 or 4 hundred yard buffer. Guess there is little respect for people that live there. Would it hurt?

Ive heard several horror stories of shots being fired close to there farm/ranch houses from friends and neighbors and some firsthand(grew up on a ranch). Part of the respect would be/should be in giving a house a wide berth!
X2!!!!..don't get me wrong...the homeowner was offside with his remarks, BUT...still respect is the ultimate goal...believing there's more to this than has been posted...kids can get excited while hunting....who knew if the covey or.. a couple birds jumped when they were 15' from the landowners property????...also , don't read too much into the back alley analogy....just trying to put it in perspective. Kind of funny though..."it won't happen in the city"...but it happens in my backyard for 3-4 mos. every year....weird????
H
Old 10-19-2009, 06:07 PM

I can sympathize with landowners in some aspect but threats with fireams is pretty serious stuff.

The analogy with the gun toting down the alley is out to lunch. I mean a person can walk on farmland with a firearm and it can be pretty safely assumed that the person is doing some kind of hunting. A guy walking down a alley with a gun in a city where hunting and discharge of firearms is illegal and gang activity is common...not quiiiiite the same thing. Nice try but no dice.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Elkster View Post
I can sympathize with landowners in some aspect but threats with fireams is pretty serious stuff.

The analogy with the gun toting down the alley is out to lunch. I mean a person can walk on farmland with a firearm and it can be pretty safely assumed that the person is doing some kind of hunting. A guy walking down a alley with a gun in a city where hunting and discharge of firearms is illegal and gang activity is common...not quiiiiite the same thing. Nice try but no dice.
Okay...guess I'll "assume" thanks....
Old 10-19-2009, 06:52 PM

Once again, thanks to everyone for posting their two cents. Like I said earlier being still quite new to asking permission and using someone elses property, I wasn't 100% sure what I did wrong in this situation. But after reading some more posts I can undestand "the buffer zone". All in all I personally trained the two I was with and new exactly where the birds were and that they would not shoot. The birds weren't near the house so I knew there was no worry. But that is neither here nor there, and if I ever end up in a situation like that again, I will be sure to take the long way around. Thanks again to all hunters and landowners for posting, really cleared things up for me.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
WHATEVER!!!!...yeah right...report him!!!...and enjoy it after he talks to his neighbors and "no hunting" signs go up....was he over the top????...absolutely!!!!...did he own the land????...absolutely not!!!!...would u be concerned if some hunters with loaded guns... the youngest being 14 walked within 20 feet of your fence????...absolutely!!!!... would love to hear the actual dialogue that went on!!!!...Also no answer to my earlier post about down your back alley!!!!!
Hey, I'll answer your question.. since you appear quite excited and all.

1) it is illegal to walk through Calgary with loaded firearms.
2) NO i would not be concerned if 2 hutners walked withing 20 feet of my property with loaded firearms in the country where it is perfectly legal.

would I walk within 20' of a house.... probably not, but as someone else pointed out, how far is far enough?? I guess I would just feel nervous doing it.