Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Default Where is your kill shot placed?

Where do you like to put the cross-hairs when taking a shot? Let's include deer, moose, elk, bear and other large game....

ECC
Old 10-16-2009, 06:23 PM
sheephunter

High shoulder.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Lungs..Shoulder on Bears...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=BrownBear416;411131]Lungs..Shoulder on Bears...[/QUOTE

What he said.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
High shoulder.
Right here?

Old 10-16-2009, 06:39 PM

Try this...

http://www.bowsite.com/BOWSITE/FEATU.../DEERGEOMETRY/

Or This...

http://www.shotplacement.com/
Old 10-16-2009, 06:41 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Caper View Post
Right here?

On that quartering angle, ya that looks about right...
Old 10-16-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
that's great.. Thanks. I scored -47
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 PM

I just hate shooting threw a shoulder if I am meat hunting.
Makes to much of a mess and then you have to skin and clean out the shot area right away.Done it to many time! Enough is enough !
If I am in an open field ,just behind the shoulders.
If he is in a cutline and water every where .one shoulder.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:08 PM

Behind the ear, just below the antlers. Drops them everytime, with one shot.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM

neck shots if availble. then boiler room .
Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Banned

I shoot deer in the shoulder or just behind the shoulder depending on the angle and the conditions. Moose I try not to hit the shoulders unless I have to to get at the lungs like on that picture of the deer you posted. If I shoot a moose him in the shoulder I try to be ready for a quick second shot since I've heard that those heavy shoulder blades can sometimes prevent your bullet from getting much penetration, though I have never had this happen. For KILL shots by which I mean if your animal is down but still kicking and you want to kill him and start dressing him I shoot them in the neck from behind, just below the head.

Last edited by Cal; 10-16-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:59 PM

Quote:
On that quartering angle, ya that looks about right...
to high you will only get the top of the lungs and no heart.....go......low..and check out some of the archery sites as they have anatonicailly correct pics on the
Old 10-16-2009, 08:02 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
to high you will only get the top of the lungs and no heart.....go......low..and check out some of the archery sites as they have anatonicailly correct pics on the
No need to get mad.....it's just the way I do things......I'm not telling anyone to follow my lead. Also, I was talking rifle shots but if we are taking archery shots, then yes you are correct that lower would be better.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
High shoulder.
Hey Sheep, I've found that the "high" shoulder isn't really that lethal. Usually find them messed up really bad and not going anywhere but still alive. They are usually laying right where they were standing but a follow up or knife is usually required. Or are you talking about from shooting down into them?

tm
Old 10-16-2009, 08:06 PM

shoot a moose in the hump, drops em in a pile, but like TM says requires a coup de gras shot. better than guttin a moose in a swamp if he runs
Old 10-16-2009, 08:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Hey Sheep, I've found that the "high" shoulder isn't really that lethal. Usually find them messed up really bad and not going anywhere but still alive. They are usually laying right where they were standing but a follow up or knife is usually required. Or are you talking about from shooting down into them?

tm
I do a lot of long range shooting and it's the point of aim that leaves the most room for error. Worst case scenario you knock them down where they stand and if you hit low or back, you hit lungs or heart. If you hit high, it's a clean miss and if you hit too far forward it's neck or a clean miss. Just playing the odds.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:13 PM

ok....where would you put your crosshairs on these????? My crosshairs are kinda shown

Old 10-16-2009, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
I disagree I've killed plenty of elk with an arrow in the top two thirds of the lungs, I've never seen one go more then 100 yards and most less then 60. I've shot two in the last two years bottom third and lost them. I wouldn't recommend anyone shooting low with an arrow. That picture is a little high but to suggest shooting them low will end with less meat in the freezer. It can be done but they have a lot more lung up high and it goes a lot farther back toward the diaphragm. Like someone else suggested check some of the archery sights they have great pictures.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
shoot a moose in the hump, drops em in a pile, but like TM says requires a coup de gras shot. better than guttin a moose in a swamp if he runs
I'd always heard this but never understood why it would drop a moose the way its supposed to. On close examination though I found that the shoulder hump has these little rib like bones in it coming off the backbone, nail any one of these bones and the spine will be severely damaged which is probably old news to lots of you.

Huntinstuff, I usualy shoot them a little higher in the chest than you seem to, especily in that last picture. But I'm sure you have a good reason for shooting them that low so please enlighten me
Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM
sheephunter

[QUOTE=huntinstuff;411217]ok....where would you put your crosshairs on these????? My crosshairs are kinda shown

I wouldn't shoot any of them...they're all way too small....
Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM

shot my moose double lung. they dont go far ever
Old 10-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
ok....where would you put your crosshairs on these????? My crosshairs are kinda shown
I agree on #1 and 4 but on 2 and 3 I would go a littl futher back more so on the second pic. I like to visualize the bullet exiting just behind the off-side shoulder. That said I have little experiance with those kinds of shots.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
I do a lot of long range shooting and it's the point of aim that leaves the most room for error. Worst case scenario you knock them down where they stand and if you hit low or back, you hit lungs or heart. If you hit high, it's a clean miss and if you hit too far forward it's neck or a clean miss. Just playing the odds.
In 90% of situations I'm a bone breaker too Sheep. I was just taking the the OP's words literally. I interpreted "kill shot" as the one that kills the animal so to me that means head or boiler room.

tm
Old 10-16-2009, 08:46 PM

The heart and lungs on a moose are much lower than alot of people think. those big dorsal spine things take up half the moose! The cross hairs in the above pics look good for a double lung but if you want the heart you may have to move the crosshairs abit forward. I studied moose anatomy abit before I went after mine a few weeks ago. He was slightly quartering toward me and I took both lungs and broke the offside shoulder. He didn't go far....
Old 10-16-2009, 08:53 PM

I agree with ya Outdoors Woman....but not very far with a moose can be downright .....darn things are pretty heavy for my backpack!!!

I prefer to break em' with the first one and another to finish it.

tm
Old 10-16-2009, 09:04 PM

[QUOTE=sheephunter;411221]
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

I wouldn't shoot any of them...they're all way too small....
YES!!!!!! That is the correct answer "sheephunter"

They are all too small. Therefore you should not shoot.

Class has now ended. It is Friday night. Gentlemen, get yourself a beer. Youth members of AO, it is now 9:00 pm. Time to brush your teeth and go to bed.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 10-16-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:08 PM

Default Each case is different

My preferred shot on a moose is right into the hump. The bones that protrude up from the spine are easily hit and then the moose has a broken back (and drops in a heap where he was standing)-easy way to tell if his back is broken is if his hind legs drop and his front keep going. With a broken back he can't move his hind legs and tends to run in a circle (or semicircle). He needs to be finished off (back of the head or behind the ear) but very little useable meat is ruined. Hitting him in the shoulder transfers a lot of energy into him and buggers up a fair bit of meat not to mention the risk of rot starting in the bloodshot meat.

A deer usually gets it right behind the front leg...about mid body or a bit lower. Shooting in the bottom half of the chest usually gives a strong blood trail immediately, a higher shot will mean the chest cavity has to fill with blood before a heavy blood trail will come. Behind the front leg will result in a through shot taking out both lungs and not buggering up a shoulders worth of meat.

One trick I was taught for when an animal is quartering (esp away) is to aim for the front leg on the opposite side, the bullet ends up going behind the nearside shoulder and whistles thru the heart & lungs... seems to make sense if you look at the photos above. Same idea for quartering towards but you will be trying to go in front of the nearside shoulder blade.

If a bullet can't punch thru a shoulder blade I'd think you need more gun...either that or get closer so you have more impact energy.

Zeke
Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
No need to get mad.....it's just the way I do things......I'm not telling anyone to follow my lead. Also, I was talking rifle shots but if we are taking archery shots, then yes you are correct that lower would be better.
sorry sheep hunter the wife just gave me hell says I got to be more carefull with my emotion thingies....was not ment as a slam or a insult was just trying to get the point across
Old 10-16-2009, 09:45 PM

If it's a close shot....neck. 150 yards +.... in the ole bread basket.