Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-19-2009, 02:18 PM

Default Cherry POPPED!

I thought I would share my first successful white tale bow hunt. I bought my bow earlier this year off a great guy I found on this site. Have been out target shooting most the summer. Have been out a few times this season walking and stalking but no success until recently in my tree stand. It was getting late in the day and hadn't seen anything. I was starting to wonder what time sunset was so took the chance to stand up and take a quick stretch in my stand and look at my gps for the sunrise sunset table.... well as soon as I look down and then up there he was! Out of no where like a ghost. I was out of position frozen so he wouldn't see me and in no position to reach my bow. He was gone! Man I was mad at my self for that! So I sat back down trying to think of some amazing story to tell my buddy why I let the best buck I have ever had an opportunity at get away. So I grab my bow and put it on my lap and pray that he comes back. Well he did. But this time he was looking up at me. I had the wind in my favor, and I don’t think he knew what I was. I sat so still contemplating if I should try to draw or sit tight! I sat tight. He left again! My body is vibrating from my ears to my toes and my heart racing. There isn’t much light left in the day and again I am praying he comes back. Well prayer answered. He came back and wasn't worried about what was up the tree this time. He walked into some cover just in front of my tree stand. Once he was behind the cover I took the opportunity to stand up and draw and wait for my shot once he came out the other side. As soon as he showed me his shoulder I waited one more step and let loose! HIT! He took off across the field! I was trying to maintain my composure and not fall out of the tree, gather everything and try and find him. There might have been 10min of light left and no blood trail to be found for at least 400yrds. With the help of my buddy and some flash lights we found him! I know he's not the biggest guy out there but the best I have shot so far! Sorry the picture is small I couldn’t figure out how to get on the site. Thanx for your time!
Attached Images
File Type: bmp white tale.bmp (190.7 KB, 503 views)
Old 10-19-2009, 02:19 PM

Congrats!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Gone Hunting

Heck of a story and a very nice deer...congratulations....as has been said before..."the grin says it all""...again congratulations on a job well done, you should be proud
H

Last edited by hal53; 10-19-2009 at 02:22 PM. Reason: sp
Old 10-19-2009, 02:23 PM

Nothing wrong with him...congrats.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:29 PM

congrats on the deer, but there are kids that read this furom so maybe a little taste in thread title next time.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM

Thats a beauty, thanks for the pic and the great story, Hoping to get one that size in a couple weeks

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 10-19-2009, 02:47 PM

Way to go man. Well done.
Old 10-19-2009, 02:48 PM

What a great buck......congrats. Isn't that an amazing addrenaline rush? I agree with Hal53.......the smile says it all.......Marco
Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM

Nothing wrong with that deer! Congratulations.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Well done!!! That's a great deer, especially for your first with the bow! You may have been caught off guard, but you didn't spook him off. You kept your cool and learned something (Stay sharp late in the day, Keep that bow very close, Consider the wind AND evening thermals when setting your stand, Maybe set a scent bomb opposite your stand to catch and hold His attention, He who moves first loses, and forget making a deal with the devil - pray and prey!). You will draw on this experience when the MONSTER of your life comes in (not to take anything at all away from that guy!). All that target shooting sure pays off when you're a bit rattled! Great story most all of us can relate to! Thanks for sharing your triumph with us!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:38 PM

nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM

Very nice deer, congrats!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:55 PM

Default Nice job

Not too often you get that much cooperation, Nice job........I'm still looking for some of that cooperation.....I play my part
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
Banned

Heck of an archery animal chris,, well done.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 PM

ohhh you will be hooked for good now , there is nothing better than your first critter with your bow!!! beautiful white-tail and congrats
Old 10-19-2009, 06:34 PM

Great story. The adrenaline rush will get you into a tree every year now.