Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM

Default Clear Lake is Dead

I used to read that on here often, 7-8 years ago, always suspecting it was by those who fished there and caught big pike and wanted to keep others away from a hot lake. But I fished it and knew better, always enjoying great outings and catching a number of pike, including some big ones. I throw everything I catch back, but enjoy the thrill of the battle when a big fish is on.

But wow, something's changed over the years. I can't help but think Cold Lake really IS dead. The water is turbid and my holes are chock full of tiny swimming microorganisms. There are tons of scuds/freshwater shrimps. Maybe that's the problem - there's just so much food the pike really don't have to go after a lure? But, I use a sonar mostly to check depth, but it doesn't pick up any fish at Clear Lake. None. I've not seen anyone else catch anything either lately. Most people seem to show up, drill a few holes, move around and drill a few more, then leave.

Am I wrong?

Last edited by MeYammy; 03-01-2021 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Wrong lake mentioned
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 AM

Which lake you talking about? They are both hundreds of kilos apart.

First it is Cold Lake then Clear. I am thinking you meant Clear
Old 03-01-2021, 08:44 AM

Default CLEAR - OMG I'm an Idiot. I meant CLEAR LAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Which lake you talking about? They are both hundreds of kilos apart.

First it is Cold Lake then Clear. I am thinking you meant Clear
Clear Lake. I need to figure out how to edit my post title! Sorry
Old 03-01-2021, 09:01 AM

Used to be a great secret spot then word got out on the internet and it got pounded. Went from never seeing anyone to the ice looking like swiss cheese. That is why the limits have changed there as it took such a hit. I hear it is recovering nicely though but bet it never gets back to the old days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeYammy View Post
Clear Lake. I need to figure out how to edit my post title! Sorry
Old 03-01-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
Used to be a great secret spot then word got out on the internet and it got pounded. Went from never seeing anyone to the ice looking like swiss cheese. That is why the limits have changed there as it took such a hit. I hear it is recovering nicely though but bet it never gets back to the old days.
Are we talking about Clear Lake, west of Barhead? That lake was the victim of a drilling misshap a few years back. I have lots of family in the area and the lake has been dead for awhile. I thought everyone knew this, its been discussed on here more than once. Not only are the fish gone, but the freakishly clear water that it was named after is no longer clear through the summer.

I was told by my relations that drilling/ fracking messed up the springs that fed the lake, other sources say that a casing leak resulted in contamination. Either way, its sucked for quite some time and is unlikely to recover.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:11 AM

I grew up fishing clear lake, we’d book our campsite a month at a time in summer and that was our go to for ice fishing as well. It’s such a shame to see the lake how it is now; I go back every year hoping it might recover but it seems like it’s well and truly dead.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:35 AM

Default The one East of Stavely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Are we talking about Clear Lake, west of Barhead? That lake was the victim of a drilling misshap a few years back. I have lots of family in the area and the lake has been dead for awhile. I thought everyone knew this, its been discussed on here more than once. Not only are the fish gone, but the freakishly clear water that it was named after is no longer clear through the summer.

I was told by my relations that drilling/ fracking messed up the springs that fed the lake, other sources say that a casing leak resulted in contamination. Either way, its sucked for quite some time and is unlikely to recover.
Clear Lake just East of Stavely
Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 PM

I still have luck.....