Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-28-2021, 08:28 PM

Default StrikeMaster Drill Adapter Failed & Replaced with Vendetta S/S

My adapter snapped today on my 5” mini auger when we were searching for our spot, the 18V drills have a lot of torque, lucky I had a spare.

This happen to anyone else ?

D.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 PM

Yes, mine broke off after only 5-6 uses on a Milwaukee fuel. Not sure what brand it was, but it was one from the fishin hole. I feel like they are all made from the same factory - inferior metal on the inside. The Canadian Tire one has a whole bunch of similar reviews.

Think the high torque drills + heavy manual augers are too much for this adapter. Would love to find someone who could custom make a solid steel adapter.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horpensky View Post
Yes, mine broke off after only 5-6 uses on a Milwaukee fuel. Not sure what brand it was, but it was one from the fishin hole. I feel like they are all made from the same factory - inferior metal on the inside. The Canadian Tire one has a whole bunch of similar reviews.

Think the high torque drills + heavy manual augers are too much for this adapter. Would love to find someone who could custom make a solid steel adapter.
Yup ... agree. Mine was on a 5" mini-auger that I use just for the camera, my guess it drilled at least 50-60 holes since the season opened.

If you or others here know of a HD adapter, pls share with all of us.

Cheers

D.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:50 PM

Same thing happened to mine.
6” FinBore III with Milwaukee Fuel 18.
I’d like to find something more durable.
If you do, please post! Would be interested to see.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:08 AM

what speed are you drilling on? i've heard its best to use a low speed and let the blades do the work, and also if your drill has a hammer setting not to use that. i had bought one of those adapters but it doesnt fit my old auger so i had to take it back and stick with manual drilling for now
Old 03-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Just go for the clam drill adapter plate and be done with it.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:01 PM

This happened to me recently too. I have the HT nero ice auger which comes with the adapter.

I recently purchased a new adapter off Amazon. It's a bit thicker and fits a 0.5" chuck so hopefully it'll be more durable.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spin View Post
This happened to me recently too. I have the HT nero ice auger which comes with the adapter.

I recently purchased a new adapter off Amazon. It's a bit thicker and fits a 0.5" chuck so hopefully it'll be more durable.

Would you kindly post a link or pic .... Pls/Tks

I stopped at a Machine Shop in R/D they said they could mfg a custom adapter a bit longer than the one in my pic but it would be in the order of $100. I paid $65.00 for my 5" auger so couldn't justify it.

D.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:29 PM

This is the one I bought. It was only a few dollars more than the Strike Master I saw at Canadian Tire. Seems to be much better quality but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I will be out this weekend so I can report back after.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074M2TGXN/...Y29W5BJFE40V13
Old 03-03-2021, 08:40 PM

Quote:
This is the one I bought. It was only a few dollars more than the Strike Master I saw at Canadian Tire. Seems to be much better quality but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I will be out this weekend so I can report back after.

I seen that one but there was no spec's. Is it the same diameter as the Cdn Tire StrikeMaster adapter and how did it fit & did the hole align in your auger ?

Edit: It's S/S while the StrikeMaster is hardened steel, would prefer the S/S, I believe it would be stronger.
Tks

D.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:56 PM

I believe it's the same dimension as StrikeMaster. Overall fit is good and the hole lines up fine with my HT auger.

I also have a plastic disc from before that I'll use just in case the auger releases from the chuck.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:37 PM

Quote:
I believe it's the same dimension as StrikeMaster. Overall fit is good and the hole lines up fine with my HT auger.

I also have a plastic disc from before that I'll use just in case the auger releases from the chuck.

Excellent ... tks for posting, just pulled the trigger & ordered one, says it will be here in a couple of days. If it fits my USSR IceBerg I'll be smiling and a disk stopper is a must, I used an old kitchen cutting board, to many stories of augers going down the hole.

D.

Old 03-03-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:

@Spin: After breaking the original adapter with a generic manual auger, I too switched to the Nero and have been using my drill with the adapter shaft that came with the auger. Are you saying you broke off the tip of the adapter shaft that came with the Nero? I was hoping this one would last longer (although I find the adapter shaft itself is now bent from being at full extension and repeatedly torqued).
Old 03-04-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horpensky View Post
@Spin: After breaking the original adapter with a generic manual auger, I too switched to the Nero and have been using my drill with the adapter shaft that came with the auger. Are you saying you broke off the tip of the adapter shaft that came with the Nero? I was hoping this one would last longer (although I find the adapter shaft itself is now bent from being at full extension and repeatedly torqued).
Yes, it was the the adapter that came with the Nero that snapped. I had it for about 2 years and used it regularly so it had been showing signs of wear.

The new adapter is more for back up and to get me through the rest of the season. I'll probably upgrade to a pistol bit next year and save the nero for early season when the drill isn't needed.
Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Yes, it was the the adapter that came with the Nero that snapped. I had it for about 2 years and used it regularly so it had been showing signs of wear.

The new adapter is more for back up and to get me through the rest of the season. I'll probably upgrade to a pistol bit next year and save the nero for early season when the drill isn't needed.
Good to know, thanks. The Nero has been pretty good with the drill, but the included adapter definitely looks like the point of failure. I'm also planning what you're suggesting: using the Nero as a backup/hand auger on early ice (it does hand auger nicely), and picking up either the Pistol Bit or the Lite Flite for thicker ice.

@fisher69: definitely use the lowest speed on the drill (and not the hammer setting). When I first bought the adapter, it didn't fit my auger perfectly either. I had to grind down about 1/32" so the holes lined up properly with the old auger.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:43 PM

Amazon delivered this afternoon here's the new S/S adapter made in the USA, it fits perfectly. My spare StrikeMaster made in China is going back to Cdn Tire.

D.

Link ..... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B074M2TGXN/...Y29W5BJFE40V13

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 03-06-2021 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:42 PM

Looks good D, I've been quite happy with mine after trying it out last week.

By the way, where did you get those plastic ring clamps that you use to hold your disk stopper in place, is there a specific name for that part? I tried looking online but didn't know what to search for.

I've been using electrical tape to hold mine in place but your way looks much cleaner.

Thanks as always!
Old 03-12-2021, 02:56 PM

[/SIZE]

I should have bought this one, I bought one off eBay.ca, shipping is from Russia said March 1, still nothing
Old 03-12-2021, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Looks good D, I've been quite happy with mine after trying it out last week.

By the way, where did you get those plastic ring clamps that you use to hold your disk stopper in place, is there a specific name for that part? I tried looking online but didn't know what to search for.

I've been using electrical tape to hold mine in place but your way looks much cleaner.

Thanks as always!

Got them when I was in the USA, there steel & called double split shaft collars, they come in various ID sizes, mine are made in China paid about $6.00 each, perhaps you can get them from an Industrial Supply shop in town or check out Amazon.

Cheers

D.

Old 03-12-2021, 09:09 PM

Thanks D!