Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2021, 03:16 PM

Depends on what you want to spend. Marcum LX7 or MX7, Vexilar FLX28 or FLX30 and the Hummingbird Helix units are all good options. A little cheaper and will still get the job done in deep water are the Hummingbird 55, Marcum M5, and the Vex 20.

You may be on a drop or over larger rocks if you have a blind pocket at the bottom. You are putting a really large footprint down in 115 feet with an LX1.

WC
Old 01-04-2021, 03:18 PM

That’s just the slope of the bottom more than likely. A flasher picks up at a level line from the highest point it touches so if your on a drop off you could easily be missing the bottom foot. Especially considering how much area your cone covers at that depth. In 100ft of water a 10 degree cone is showing around a 17 ft radius on the bottom
A56BFB53-EA9E-438E-8CFB-839229A04D3B.jpeg
Old 01-04-2021, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikehunter1989 View Post
That’s just the slope of the bottom more than likely. A flasher picks up at a level line from the highest point it touches so if your on a drop off you could easily be missing the bottom foot. Especially considering how much area your cone covers at that depth. In 100ft of water a 10 degree cone is showing around a 17 ft radius on the bottom
Attachment 169956
Very informative. Same idea as WildCats suggested.

And I do fish pretty significant slopes, so that likely is the case. Would upgrading to a helix 7, mx7 or flx28 fix this issue? or would fishing the slope still cause the same "gap" with bottom?
Old 01-04-2021, 04:37 PM

I have the same issue with my helix 7. On some really steep slopes I'll lose a few to several feet of view at the bottom. Luckily Lakers chase

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2021, 04:45 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well another beauty day on the lake, jaw jacker managed eight fish, two were 28" and one 29" no pinched tails and five fatties....I managed two more on the spoon and four on the TC Moto for a final score of 14 landed..lost a lot just at the hole as they were farting around and I have a bugger of a time getting them in the hole when the ice is 7" as I prefer more ice....I was in contact with weavster and he managed well over 20 and said a fella managed a 31" up through the ice out off the marina...I was at French Bay again in 140' of water..bite was on for me from 11am to 1pm...fast and furious even had a double header which was a lot of fun to manage....-3 out clear sunny skies with a slight breeze....no ice hut needed just kicked back and enjoyed the lake...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
What flashers are you guys running on Cold? I currently have a Marcum Vx-1i and its definitely passed its capabilities when I'm fishing 115+ feet.. it works, but not well.

Im considering upgrading, but would like to know what unit if any gives clear separation of bottom, hook, fish, etc.. Mine has about a 8-12 inch "hole" at the bottom before it'll pick up my jig.
I went with this one...now I sit beside others with their flashers and we pick up the same bait fish, our presentation and then the larger marks...most often I put it on dual frequency to see more of the bottom and depths. GPS, mark waypoints, routes etc just a small compact very effective unit to move from the ice to a kayak etc...there is a model higher with a larger viewing screen if one so desires but I fine this just fine.

https://www.amazon.ca/Garmin-010-015...92307192&psc=1

another link and option

https://buy.garmin.com/en-CA/CA/p/73...n/020-00293-07

Last edited by 58thecat; 01-04-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
What flashers are you guys running on Cold? I currently have a Marcum Vx-1i and its definitely passed its capabilities when I'm fishing 115+ feet.. it works, but not well.

Im considering upgrading, but would like to know what unit if any gives clear separation of bottom, hook, fish, etc.. Mine has about a 8-12 inch "hole" at the bottom before it'll pick up my jig.

I have the VX-1i as well, and a Helix 5. The Helix does better than the VX-1i in depths beyond 100 feet. I’m not usually active fishing the bottom foot for Lakers. That’s where the iFish Pros and a bait laying in the bottom comes in.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-04-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Very informative. Same idea as WildCats suggested.

And I do fish pretty significant slopes, so that likely is the case. Would upgrading to a helix 7, mx7 or flx28 fix this issue? or would fishing the slope still cause the same "gap" with bottom?

Sorry, should have read the full thread before responding to prevent two posts.

On my Helix I select a different interference rejection setting, which makes a narrower cone. That helps on steep drops.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 01-04-2021, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well another beauty day on the lake, jaw jacker managed eight fish, two were 28" and one 29" no pinched tails and five fatties....I managed two more on the spoon and four on the TC Moto for a final score of 14 landed..lost a lot just at the hole as they were farting around and I have a bugger of a time getting them in the hole when the ice is 7" as I prefer more ice....I was in contact with weavster and he managed well over 20 and said a fella managed a 31" up through the ice out off the marina...I was at French Bay again in 140' of water..bite was on for me from 11am to 1pm...fast and furious even had a double header which was a lot of fun to manage....-3 out clear sunny skies with a slight breeze....no ice hut needed just kicked back and enjoyed the lake...

Sounds like a great day. What are you dead sticking with your jaw jacker?
Old 01-04-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Sorry, should have read the full thread before responding to prevent two posts.

On my Helix I select a different interference rejection setting, which makes a narrower cone. That helps on steep drops.
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2021, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Yes...homemade jobby....experimented with types of hooks etc and where to put them on the bait fish so now to attempt a better hook set in the mouth and not in the gills or gut I use a 6-8" herring treble hooked mid section hooks facing towards the tail....reasoning is they take them off the bottom head first and this give them a chance to get it in thier mouth swim away in which then the hook where it is located should in theory more times then often turn and hook the mouth area.....I use to use the hook in the head but found that they tend to swallow everything....lead weight and 10-12" of line to the hook.....sit and wait

On this day I literally had both lines out of the water for 15 minutes so I could enjoy a sammich in peace.

Old 01-05-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
IMG_3222.JPG

limited addition....

Old 01-06-2021, 06:02 PM

Thumbs up

Another beauty time spent on the lake...6 total...3 on jaw jacker...3 by me...and lost 3....biggest one was just under 30...I am sure it was 30 but I didn't want to fart around too long as it was a battle to get in...a real chunky fish in addition to the length....the Len Thompson was the lure that got this beaut. Again TC Moto white and blue with a minnow dangling off the stinger got their attention...

Now I do have one gripe other then garbage is starting to show up on the ice but everyday I am out people have a mindset to let their dogs run....no....don't do that and clean up after them too...dog crap all over the place...dogs peeing on shacks etc...and guess what there are ice holes not frozen over that can hurt your pup...not all people are dog people so leash them up and please be a responsible pet owner....

Old 01-06-2021, 06:11 PM

Off to fish Frenchman’s bay Saturday/Sunday. Maybe out front the marina too if it’s walkable. Can’t wait.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Off to fish Frenchman’s bay Saturday/Sunday. Maybe out front the marina too if it’s walkable. Can’t wait.
Marina is walkable 7" of ice....good luck!

Old 01-06-2021, 07:37 PM

The wife and I are planning to do an overnight on the lake next weekend with our 10 month old.....i doubt i will be driving on so which access would be the best with regards to having close proximity to my truck on shore as well as hopefully not getting it picked clean or driven away on me lol....catching some fish would be a bonus as well. Been a lot of years since I've been on cold so any info would be great.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:12 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
The wife and I are planning to do an overnight on the lake next weekend with our 10 month old.....i doubt i will be driving on so which access would be the best with regards to having close proximity to my truck on shore as well as hopefully not getting it picked clean or driven away on me lol....catching some fish would be a bonus as well. Been a lot of years since I've been on cold so any info would be great.
In that case I would use cold lake north and access the lake from the marina. You can walk out 100 yards or so 7" plus of ice and people have been having a real good time catching lots of lakers....plus if ya need a break etc a short walk back and your not to far from anything.
Good luck.

Old 01-07-2021, 03:20 PM

I’m sure it’s walkable conditions now, gonna head out Saturday from the provincial park boat launch and fish the point anyone been out that way yet?
Old 01-07-2021, 08:21 PM

Anyone know if access is open to the English bay boat lauch. Not gated is it? Looking to walk out into the ice in that area.

Sent from my SM-A715W using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Anyone know if access is open to the English bay boat lauch. Not gated is it? Looking to walk out into the ice in that area.

English bay gate is open, the lake on the other hand is a mess. Ice just heaved onto shore there 3 days ago, about 3-4 feet high. All good ice was totally ripped open and looks really hairy. Extremely unsafe at the moment but feel free to do what you wish. No one will be using that launch this winter, that is for sure.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the update, should make for an interesting winter on Cold Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
English bay gate is open, the lake on the other hand is a mess. Ice just heaved onto shore there 3 days ago, about 3-4 feet high. All good ice was totally ripped open and looks really hairy. Extremely unsafe at the moment but feel free to do what you wish. No one will be using that launch this winter, that is for sure.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:18 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post

-15 last night, English bay is walkable but man I would be extra careful walking out....drill and check as you venture out...good luck.

oh if you need bait, jigs, guidance as to laker fishing on the ice touch base with Kim...was there yesterday for a short chat...yeah right....got me all sorted out for a few more days on the ice....

Anglers Bait Tackle and More
@coldlaketackleshack

https://www.facebook.com/coldlaketackleshack/

Last edited by 58thecat; 01-08-2021 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbok View Post
Thanks for the update, should make for an interesting winter on Cold Lake
also has little to know snow cover too other than what has drifted in...seen a fella the other day on his sled going no where real quick as his track just spun...I am getting around no problem with the quad...once she gets thicker the truck will be out....trucks on the ice in the back bays as there is over 15" of ice but as you head out to more open areas it gets less real fast...we need -20 for a week.

Last edited by 58thecat; 01-08-2021 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-08-2021, 09:49 AM

Going to be a while yet for the main lake

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan hunter View Post
I’m sure it’s walkable conditions now, gonna head out Saturday from the provincial park boat launch and fish the point anyone been out that way yet?
seen a few fellas walked out...not sure of ice thickness though.

Old 01-08-2021, 03:46 PM

This weather has to change at some point right? Can't believe how long it is taking for the ice to build up this season. I keep expecting -30 but the forecast just keeps saying around that 0 to -5 mark.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:01 PM

Can a person drive a truck on French Bay ?
Old 01-09-2021, 06:18 PM

Was there all day today. Seen 4 smaller suv out there. Then a half ton pickup pulled his shack out. He then posted on Facebook that where his shack is sitting is 11.5” of good ice on 75’ of water.
He was out farther than me. Where I was was 14” of ice over 70’ of water.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Was there all day today. Seen 4 smaller suv out there. Then a half ton pickup pulled his shack out. He then posted on Facebook that where his shack is sitting is 11.5” of good ice on 75’ of water.
He was out farther than me. Where I was was 14” of ice over 70’ of water.
If a person was to walk on . Is it a long ways to pull a sled to get to the fishing areas ?
Old 01-09-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
If a person was to walk on . Is it a long ways to pull a sled to get to the fishing areas ?
5 minutes at Frenchman’s.