Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2020, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
Went Kayak river fishing this summer. Didn't like being confined to one sitting position for hours on end, found it uncomfortable.
you need a pontoon boat then!....don't forget the upper deck and slide too.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-03-2021, 11:12 AM

Time to revive this thread.
From what I gather - you get what you pay for. Is the pelican “pedals” as bad as they say? It seems like they are a knock off of the Hobie with some design flaws.
Do the Hobie pedals fit in the pelican?
Best dealer to buy from?
Old 03-03-2021, 11:47 AM

I can't comment on the quality of the pelican pedals but they are not knock-offs of Hobie's, but are Hobie's original design. The patent ran out for Hobie and Pelican was the first one to start making a drive. Hobie has of course made improvements over the years so the new drives have reverse and kick up fins. If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can fit a Hobie drive into the Pelican hull.

Pelicans can be found at Canadian Tire, they were even on sale a few months ago.

Hobie's can be bought at Glenmore Sailboats: https://glenmoresailboats.com/wp/?page_id=62

Aquabatics is probably the biggest kayak dealer and stock is starting to arrive: https://aqoutdoors.com/

Totem sells Jackson Kayaks and Old Town canoes: https://totemoutfitters.ca/

Whatever you decide to do, do it soon! Most kayak manufacturers are way behind on orders and whats trickling into dealers now is likely all that's going to be available this season.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 PM

Thanks for that. I was thinking of getting the pelican and when the pedals “wear out” to replace it with the Hobie pedals. It will be significantly cheaper than buying all Hobie. Not sure if that plan will work ?
Old 03-03-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Time to revive this thread.
From what I gather - you get what you pay for. Is the pelican “pedals” as bad as they say? It seems like they are a knock off of the Hobie with some design flaws.
Do the Hobie pedals fit in the pelican?
Best dealer to buy from?
The original pelican HD had issues with there pedal drives. I got a smoken deal from Crappy tire (half price) on an original 130 HD and had issues right away. After an email and a phone call they sent me a new drive . I rebuilt the first drive with Hobie parts and worked the second one pretty hard and it’s still holding up fairly well. The HD’s are a little slower than the Hobies and maybe a little less comfortable but like you said you get what you pay for. I’m currently in the process of building a trolling motor that will fit in the pedal drive slot.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM

I'm glad to hear that Pelican took care of your issues Dark Wing. You should come check out some kayak fishing tournaments this summer! We also have a local (Edmonton) kayak club and have regular meetups.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:57 PM

The kayak fishing groups is a great way to meet others with similar interest! I had such a blast last season meeting so many nice anglers. Made new fishing buddies in both Alberta and British Columbia.

I highly recommend giving it a try!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-03-2021, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE=Curado;4243867]I have enjoyed my belly boat this summer but I feel it’s time to move up! I’m also thinking of purchasing a fishing kayak! I have narrowed it down to the Hobie Pro Angler 14 ft 360 drive. It’ not cheap ($6500+) but WOW is it impressive!

And as promised, here is a shot of my newly acquired 2020 Hobie PA 12 360 drive sitting on a rolling cart I made! Woohoo! This yak is amazing!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 129730E7-B002-4FCA-AF7C-9FE91427C859.jpg (27.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-04-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringTheory View Post
I'm glad to hear that Pelican took care of your issues Dark Wing. You should come check out some kayak fishing tournaments this summer! We also have a local (Edmonton) kayak club and have regular meetups.
Thanks StringTheory once you figure out Pelicans warranty procedure their really good , don’t wait on just an email, call as well. I’ll keep an eye out for some kayak tournaments , I would imagine they’ll posted all over FB. Edmonton is a four drive for me so I’ll have to pass on the kayak club.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:25 PM

I see there are some pelicans on sale for almost half price. I assume they are the old ones with the drive issues. The “new” model must be the HD 2?
But I am happy to hear they took care of you with the warranty issues.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:29 PM

Please check "Western Canada Kayak Fishing" on FB.
Old 03-04-2021, 04:27 PM

Anyone know if aquabatics in Edmonton has received any of their spring innovatory? I know I can phone and will my next set off if no one knows

Hoping to check out some fishing kayaks on my next set off

Tags
kayak fishing alberta, star lake