Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-04-2017, 08:12 AM

Question 3 gun

I am interested in trying out 3 gun. Is there any 3 gun guys on here that can steer me in the right direction? What a guy needs for gear? I do have a membership at the Slave Lake range. I did hear that they do three gun there as well. I am local to Leduc County .
Old 12-04-2017, 09:06 AM

What do you currently have for guns to start 3gun with? Budget for guns and gear? Are you doing to have fun or do you want to be competitive? The more info you can provide the easier it will be to answer.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:10 AM

I have an AR in 223 and a Glock 17. I do have a mossberg 500 pump , but I am looking for a 12g semi .
Old 12-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Sounds like gun wise your good to go! I run a 1-4x scope on my AR, 4 10round LAR mags coupled together and a soft double mag pouch, bladetech double mag pouch imo is a better set up than I run. Minimum 5 pistol mags, I run CR speed knock offs from Amazon.ca way cheaper and work just fine, bladetech drop & offset holster, 2 Invictus 8 shotshell holders all on a IPSC belt (inner/outer belt), I have o the gear than mentioned above, but the stages determine how I will set up my belt. Lots of options out there, that's just how I'm set up, I'm sure many others will chime in shortly.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:33 AM

Sounds like you are set with the guns that you have.

As far as the rest of the equipment goes, the answer is 'it depends'. Competition equipment varies wildly from individual to individual, and also changes depending on the division you want to compete in (to a small extent). At a minimum you will want a way to carry around 50 rounds of pistol ammo on you, 30-40 rounds of rifle ammo, and some shotshells. Depending on the stage description I have a racks on my belt to carry 12 shells, a couple more 8 shell holders, and a vest I can add in that carries 32 more. (You may run into the occasional shotgun only stage with 40+ rounds).

My advice would be to 'run what you brung' for the first match or two. Most guys are more than happy to loan out equipment. It's a great way to get some hands on exposure with some cool gear without having to shell out cash for it and it will also allow you to see what other competitors are using.

The CHAS range (out by Genesee) has monthly matches starting in March and running until November. If you aren't a member you will need a member to sign you in, pay the $20 dollar guest fee and the $40 dollar match fee and you are good to go.

If you would like to compete at the CHAS club feel free to PM me and I would be happy to sign you in on my membership. I also have double of pretty much all of my equipment so I can probably help you out that way too. Our match schedule is just getting finalized so I don't have exact dates yet, but they should be on the CHAS 3 Gun facebook page soon. We meet a 8:00 for stage setup and safety briefings and usually start shooting by 10.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:35 AM

I forgot to comment on your shotgun, depends on the model if you are able to add a mag tube extension or not, which you will definitely want, imo i would see if others will let you try there semiautos to see how you like them before you commit, some are reliable some are not, ammo choice does play a factor in some semis.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:50 AM

I was looking at this belt 5.11 Sierra Bravo Duty Belt Kit in Black with these mag pouches S.O.C. Tactical (Sandpiper Of California)Triple Shingle M16 w/ Pistol Magazines in Black and these as well S.O.C. Tactical (Sandpiper Of California)Double CQB Pistol Mag Pouch in Black . I havnt looked at holsters yet or shotgun shell holders .
Old 12-04-2017, 09:53 AM

I was looking into the CHAS range as well . I would like to come out and watch , see what its all about and eventually try it out for sure .
Old 12-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot73 View Post
I forgot to comment on your shotgun, depends on the model if you are able to add a mag tube extension or not, which you will definitely want, imo i would see if others will let you try there semiautos to see how you like them before you commit, some are reliable some are not, ammo choice does play a factor in some semis.
This is solid advice, a 3 Gun shotgun is kind of a unique beast. I am running a pair of versamaxs, but they are far from stock. I've added a few pieces, removed some material, and done a bunch of tuning on them.

You will want enlarged controls, a welded lifter, a hogged out feeding port, a match saver, and as large of an extension as you can legally run.

If you end up coming out to CHAS I will be happy to let you take either of mine for a rip.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deasoninc View Post
I was looking into the CHAS range as well . I would like to come out and watch , see what its all about and eventually try it out for sure .
You have what you need already ... come out and shoot. I shot my first match at CHAS with a grizzly-mag pump 12" shotgun and shells in my pocket. There are all skill levels. As long as you are safe you are good.

Start with minimal equipment and shoot a couple of matches to see what works for you. Pretty much everyone is eager to lend a hand to a new guy. I shoot a few matches at CHAS and can help you out if you like.

I shoot a bit of IPSC so my pistol and pistol mages are all on a IPSC style 2 piece belt with a bladetech holster (because that is what I am used to). And I don't put anything else on the belt.

I have a 5.11 chest rig with 3 - 8 shot caddies on it I use for shotgun and AR mags. If I think I am going to need more shotgun shells I just throw some in my pockets. The chest rig also has pouches for AR mags and I normally carry 6 - 10 shot mags coupled with magwedges (3 mags)

http://www.511tactical.com/tactec-chest-rig.html

I have the Ali caddies .... they are OK ..

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FMA-...StoreLevelAB=1

I can post some pics of that set up if you like.

This year I was using an AXOR MF-1 mag fed shotgun but it I didn't like it very much.

I bought a Browning A5 stalker recently to use next season. It should not need a lot. I put on a Nordic +3 and opened up the loading port. That is about all I will do to it (I think), although I would like to weld the lifter. The auto load feature is pretty nice too.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:14 PM

Thanks for all the comments and advise. It is greatly appreciated. I too did some ipsc years ago. But got rid of all my gear a few years back.
Old 12-05-2017, 08:00 AM

If you shot IPSC then you are good to go procedure / safety wise for a 3 gun match. It's not all that different. The CHAS matches are a great time, there are some great shooters there but a lot of the rest of us just like to shoot and don't take the competition all that seriously. I also could sign you in but I only shoot a couple of matches a year.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
If you shot IPSC then you are good to go procedure / safety wise for a 3 gun match. It's not all that different. The CHAS matches are a great time, there are some great shooters there but a lot of the rest of us just like to shoot and don't take the competition all that seriously. I also could sign you in but I only shoot a couple of matches a year.

I too just want to get out and have some fun . For me the IPSC commitment was huge. And I quickly found out that I could not keep up with the competitions and do all the rest of my family duties. So now I would like to find something more casual .
Old 12-06-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janitor Pants View Post
Sounds like you are set with the guns that you have.

As far as the rest of the equipment goes, the answer is 'it depends'. Competition equipment varies wildly from individual to individual, and also changes depending on the division you want to compete in (to a small extent). At a minimum you will want a way to carry around 50 rounds of pistol ammo on you, 30-40 rounds of rifle ammo, and some shotshells. Depending on the stage description I have a racks on my belt to carry 12 shells, a couple more 8 shell holders, and a vest I can add in that carries 32 more. (You may run into the occasional shotgun only stage with 40+ rounds).

My advice would be to 'run what you brung' for the first match or two. Most guys are more than happy to loan out equipment. It's a great way to get some hands on exposure with some cool gear without having to shell out cash for it and it will also allow you to see what other competitors are using.

The CHAS range (out by Genesee) has monthly matches starting in March and running until November. If you aren't a member you will need a member to sign you in, pay the $20 dollar guest fee and the $40 dollar match fee and you are good to go.

If you would like to compete at the CHAS club feel free to PM me and I would be happy to sign you in on my membership. I also have double of pretty much all of my equipment so I can probably help you out that way too. Our match schedule is just getting finalized so I don't have exact dates yet, but they should be on the CHAS 3 Gun facebook page soon. We meet a 8:00 for stage setup and safety briefings and usually start shooting by 10.
I will send you a PM . Thanks for the info .
Old 12-06-2017, 07:04 PM

I would also like to start 3 gun next spring.
I'm a member at BTSA and will start going to the Monday night league.
I have a
Sig 1911 45 with 5 mags. Thinking about getting a P320 in 9mm
T97 FTU with red dot with 6, 10 round mags coupled.
Browning BPS pump and Mossberg pump 24" rifled and 18.5" CB.
I will be getting a semi auto, Maybe a Derya MK12 or ???
Do you require the Black Badge course for 3 gun?
Old 12-06-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawken View Post
I would also like to start 3 gun next spring.
I'm a member at BTSA and will start going to the Monday night league.
I have a
Sig 1911 45 with 5 mags. Thinking about getting a P320 in 9mm
T97 FTU with red dot with 6, 10 round mags coupled.
Browning BPS pump and Mossberg pump 24" rifled and 18.5" CB.
I will be getting a semi auto, Maybe a Derya MK12 or ???
Do you require the Black Badge course for 3 gun?
I've only shot at the BTSA matches a couple times, but they did seem to have a lot more safety rules than any other club I have shot at. Some good, some seemed a little strange, but it's not my place to criticize.

I do recall them asking me if I had my black badge, but that is the only place where I have ever been asked for it. That said, I did not have my black badge at that time and just said I had shot a lot of 3 Gun and it wasn't an issue. Your mileage may vary.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:31 PM

Hey, another A5 shooter!
Old 12-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriel View Post
Hey, another A5 shooter!
Actually ..... I copied yours.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotg...ning-a5-3-gun/

Hopefully you are familiar with the imitation / flattery thing
Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
Actually ..... I copied yours.

https://www.huntinggearguy.com/shotg...ning-a5-3-gun/

Hopefully you are familiar with the imitation / flattery thing
Cool!
Old 01-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Default 3 gun shotgun barrel length

Hello
I am looking for a 3 gun semiauto shotgun.
I looking at the
Canuck Operator Semi-Auto Shotgun, 12 Gauge, 18.6" Barrel and the Stoeger M3K 3-Gun 12ga/3" SA Shotgun 24".
Both seem like good guns that would do the job.
My question is do i need the longer barrel. In canada you are only allowed 5+1 because the gun is semiauto.
What are your thoughts
Old 01-31-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12.gauge View Post
Hello
I looking at the
Canuck Operator Semi-Auto Shotgun, 12 Gauge, 18.6" Barrel and the Stoeger M3K 3-Gun 12ga/3" SA Shotgun 24".
My question is do i need the longer barrel. In canada you are only allowed 5+1 because the gun is semiauto.
What are your thoughts
I would say try starting a new thread rather than resurrecting a 3 year old thread. Barrel length is not an issue whether long or short. Food for thought. The stoeger is a time tested reliable 3 gun shotgun and the Canuck is a newcomer out of turkey. With so many of the mass produced Turkish guns only being ok i would wait and see if the Canuck holds up.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-09-2020, 07:27 PM

What you have now will get you running and gunning in 3 gun. Shotgun is the biggest question for 3 gun. It’s hard to pick the perfect shotgun but the Versamax would be one of the top choices. Go out and shoot a couple matches and see what everyone uses. There is a lot of gear and set ups out there and you can blow a lot of money on gear so go observe what works. Have fun!

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 03-04-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12.gauge View Post
Hello
I looking at the
What are your thoughts
I would go with the M3K. I know quite a few that run them. They are inertia guns and won’t seem as soft shooting as something like a Versamax though. You might find that a pistol grip like on the Canuck will slow you down in the long run. The grip will get in the way of flipping the gun over to double loads and quad loads. They will be okay for old style weak hand reloads but you don’t see many people doing that much anymore. It takes too much time to learn to do it quickly and it will still be slower than loading deuces and quads.

Buy yourself a Nordic tube from Tacord and you’ll be good to go. Magazine capacity is also dependent on the length of shell that it is chambered for. The M3K is chambered for a 3 inch chamber. (This is where a 3 1/2 inch chamber might be an advantage for example.)