Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 06:23 PM

Default Bad news for Coal lake,Pipestone Creek and the Battle over

today I received a photo of a large Pike that had fed well recently.The stomach was opened and out popped a 12 inch Prussian Carp.Any body else heard of or seen a Carp in Coal?
Old 03-05-2021, 06:43 PM

sorry for the triple post,computer's not working tonight
Old 03-05-2021, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwinds View Post
sorry for the triple post,computer's not working tonight
It's not your computer, it's the site
Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 PM

That makes me feel better,was feeling pretty stupid a few minutes ago
thank you!!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:21 PM

Quote:
today I received a photo of a large Pike that had fed well recently.The stomach was opened and out popped a 12 inch Prussian Carp.Any body else heard of or seen a Carp in Coal?
Not a single one. I'd be skeptical. They are positive it's not a sucker? Pictures?

Last edited by 338Bluff; 03-05-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 PM

I sent the photo to Fish and Wildlife in Wetaskiwin and they said it is without a doubt 100% positive a carp
Old 03-05-2021, 09:53 PM

Well till there is better confirmation it could have been a sucker. Haven’t heard or seen any carp there but have caught suckers.
Old 03-07-2021, 04:23 PM

Not good news. And sadly, every water body or water way would be easy enough to monitor. Alberta should be pro-active instead of reactive. We shouldn't be waiting for the invasive species to be found miles up a river or tributary. Montoring should be done at the mouths of all streams and rivers.

Northwinds- on the up side...if the carp are there you won't have to go far to have a carp 'n' crayfish BBQ/boil. (bad joke)
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-07-2021, 09:52 PM

I fish coal lots and with a camera, never seen a carp or heard of one in the area I fish. Tons of suckers that are perfect size for bait, the last couple years the pike size has really declined. There was a time when it was crawling with beauty 10 lb pike and a few 40 inchers. If the biologists woulda protected those pike and went to a one under 63cm it would have been a trophy lake overnight. Oh well. Hammerhandles and suckers it is. Better than nothin.
Old 03-07-2021, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I fish coal lots and with a camera, never seen a carp or heard of one in the area I fish. Tons of suckers that are perfect size for bait, the last couple years the pike size has really declined. There was a time when it was crawling with beauty 10 lb pike and a few 40 inchers. If the biologists woulda protected those pike and went to a one under 63cm it would have been a trophy lake overnight. Oh well. Hammerhandles and suckers it is. Better than nothin.
A few years ago I went to Coal in the summer and the blue green algae stunk of death. There were big and small fish all along the shoreline. Even dead birds. Pretty sure that's where some of those big pike went. Some I saw dead pike that would have been 10 to 20 lbs.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-08-2021, 09:15 AM

on the plus side, at least it was in the pikes belly, so hopefully the pike will take care of them all and end up fat and juicy
Old 03-09-2021, 07:22 AM

I hope people will start targeting them. here is some info about what we are up against.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 03-09-2021, 02:51 PM

it's NOT a sucker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9255.jpg (33.6 KB, 307 views)
Old 03-09-2021, 06:57 PM

Default Carp

Maybe someone is using carp for pike bait.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:44 PM

Maybe up the N sask, whitemud, blackmud through nisku up to Saunders Lk., Ord LK and so on up the same valley all the way to the top into the lake; one pond, field and ditch at a time. Eggs stick to birds, we don't always consider field and ditch snowmelt and thunderstorm runoff, they seem to be able to get past barriers that are not considered survivable for most fish. They may survive in lakes ponds and temporary streams which have very little oxygen and extremes of temperature and salinity. I would not be surprised if they start showing up in many of the lakes and ponds all over which are uninhabitable for most other or any fish. In the words of Mugsy on looney tunes: I dont know how youse done it, but I knows you dun it.
Old 03-09-2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
it's NOT a sucker
Ok not a sucker. Is there proof that is coal lake? Or is it a friend of a friend sort of deal? WE fish there lots. Still skeptical.
Old 03-11-2021, 07:57 AM

Would anyone be surprised if they end up in those water bodies ?
Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 AM

The guy post a pic and stated it’s been reported to F&W sounds like it is a true report to me

I get people are skeptical if the fish there often but remember invasives start in small numbers and the first report of a species being found doesn’t mean they are easy to find