Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Always a good idea to hit different depths like that. Nice to hear it worked out .
yeah had to switch reels to one with a lot more line just in case a lunker showed up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-02-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Can you post a pic of what the hook and bait looks like right before it gets sent into the water? I'd like to clearly see how and where the bait gets hooked. Thank you.

I could if you want to wait a couple weeks. I’m back at work now for a fortnight. Being as I’m using live bait more often then not it also wouldn’t help with what you need to do. Most of my fishing has very little to do with what your doing.

Usually I tow a skipping and swimming gar and a skipping mullet rigged through the nose with wax thread and a circle hook off the front like this.

Then when I’ve got a live <5lb tuna or some slimy mackerel they get brindled through the nose or eye sockets and trolled like this

If I’m floating a live bait under a balloon or off the kite they get hooked a few different ways depending on how I want them to swim. Usually one of these ways though.

If I’m skipping a dead tuna behind the boat it’ll be wax thread through the nostrils and the circle hook about an inch ahead of the fish. The only pic I have is this and it’s snipped from a video so the quality is low. I tow all the skipping dead baits with the reel in free spool and a rubber band holding it to the reel or outrigger. Once they pop the rubber band the bait is freespooled to the fish. The little black torpedo coming off the wave is a dead tuna

Now if I’m fishing the bottom with bait kind of like what your doing I hook it up so it looks as natural as possible but the exact hook placement depends on the type of bait. If it’s a strip bait the hook comes through the meat first and then through the skin and if it’s a dead fish I usually pin them through the shoulders if they’re small. If it’s a bigger fish usually one through the nose and a stinger close to the tail and usually on the top. Squid just get fed onto the hook unless I’m trolling them and that’s another irrelevant story.
Just leave the hook exposed or in soft enough flesh it comes out of the flesh when the line comes tight. You won’t get as many hookups if it’s covered in bait.

If I was setting smelts off a jaw jacker or dead stick rod I would feed the hook under the skin along the dorsal with the eye mid fish and hook point sticking out of the fish toward the head so it hung slightly nose down.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 AM

Two days ago hooked up with a father son team from Moose Jaw and after sharing secrets and fishing BS they got it figured out as they had six through the ice by noon and had multiple hits etc yesterday....the etc was tangled lines as the lakers where running amuck below the ice

Ok so if your out and about traveling the ice don't cut in and around ice tents,shacks, people etc give at least 50 yards or so...man yesterday we had a couple hammerheads pass like 20 yards...there are pop ups, tip ups, jaw jackers, dead sticks etc on the ice....running over people stuff is not cool...big lake with lots of room to travel on.....and please clean up after yourself too

Old 03-03-2021, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Two days ago hooked up with a father son team from Moose Jaw and after sharing secrets and fishing BS they got it figured out as they had six through the ice by noon and had multiple hits etc yesterday....the etc was tangled lines as the lakers where running amuck below the ice

Ok so if your out and about traveling the ice don't cut in and around ice tents,shacks, people etc give at least 50 yards or so...man yesterday we had a couple hammerheads pass like 20 yards...there are pop ups, tip ups, jaw jackers, dead sticks etc on the ice....running over people stuff is not cool...big lake with lots of room to travel on.....and please clean up after yourself too
Good on ya for showing some folks the ropes should be some good Karma coming your way

Coiloil thanks for laying it out as you have. Biggest thing is for them to be able to eat it and hopefully avoid getting hooked to far back and looks like circle hooks would be perfect for that. Lake trout are pigs.

With any luck heading back up to the area in a week.5 to hopefully get on some walleyes but can't imagine not hitting Cold for a morning or two. Will give er a shot.

Small tip for anyone trying the set line method with a fishing rod, instead of an ifish pro maybe have a look at the H.T. rigger. Very simple set up that doesn't utilize any bobber stops, or threaded flag triggers. Very convenient especially for deep water. One downside is it doesn't insulate the hole at all though.
Old 03-04-2021, 12:09 AM

Thumbs up Whopper Wednesday !!!!

Well got back out around 11am....dropped by to see how the Moose Jaw connection was doing and asked if they new what today was....Whopper Wednesaday as I gave them a bag with A few whoppers in it and then told them to now catch a whopper of a laker....I went back to my 200' bottom of a drop off and again seen lots of bait fish so decided to give it a go....dead stick with a herring on the bottom and me banging the bottom with a dirty Lenny #2 and managed 5 out from the depths...32", 31", 28", 24" and a 10"er......that was the smallest laker I ever caught....Moose Jaw connection came over to see me get the 32" and 28"er in....all in all sunny skies...+4.....good way to spend lunch and then kick back!

Ohhh this day I beat the dead stick 4-1

Old 03-04-2021, 11:13 AM

I will be at cold lake saturday night and all sunday this weekend. how is the bite right now? Anything I should know about ice conditions or where to avoid ect?

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-04-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I will be at cold lake saturday night and all sunday this weekend. how is the bite right now? Anything I should know about ice conditions or where to avoid ect?
Ice travel is good, a few drifts here and there but nothing to worry about, bite seems to be from what I found over the last three days was off the bottom for the most part or just slightly off...I was deep from 100'-200' of water on top, mid, or bottom of a shelve....just find the cisco's...sticking to the main body of water.....bite seems to be picking up.....or I got lucky over the last few days

ohhh if you venture into French bay she is a bit ruff about mid way and not really worth it....good work out bouncing around the cab of the vehicle though.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:17 PM

Default 1st timer

Going out to Cold Lake for the first time ever with my boy this Saturday. Based on what I have read I assume you can drive on at the provincial park, marina or French bay???

Use herrings or minnows for bait, tube jigs or spoons in about 80 to 120 to 200 feet. Stay about 50 yards from other fishers, watch out for tip ups, etc. Any other pointers? Do we have to worry about the trout air bladder??? (That is if we can land one lol)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Ribolovac; 03-04-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribolovac View Post
Going out to Cold Lake for the first time ever with my boy this Saturday. Based on what I have read I assume you can drive on at the provincial park, marina or French bay???

Use herrings or minnows for bait, tube jigs or spoons in about 80 to 120 to 200 feet. Stay about 50 yards from other fishers, watch out for tip ups, etc. Any other pointers? Do we have to worry about the trout air bladder??? (That is if we can land one lol)

Thanks in advance!
sounds like you got it pretty much down pat....as for the French bay midway out towards the big water it is ruff and the bite is dead too.
Reeling the trout in they will burp on their way up just play them but not too long..up...out..pic and back in...have everything ready as in pliers etc to minimize the duration out of the water.
I would hit the lake from the provincial park then figure it out from there seeing that it is going to get you into areas producing the quickest....good luck.

Old 03-05-2021, 07:00 AM

Quote:
sounds like you got it pretty much down pat....as for the French bay midway out towards the big water it is ruff and the bite is dead too.
Reeling the trout in they will burp on their way up just play them but not too long..up...out..pic and back in...have everything ready as in pliers etc to minimize the duration out of the water.
I would hit the lake from the provincial park then figure it out from there seeing that it is going to get you into areas producing the quickest....good luck.
Excellent thanks for the tips! I am using braid and usually tie on a leader of flouro with the weight depending on what I am after. Is 20lb flouro leader about 10 feet good? Is 10lb better?
Old 03-05-2021, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Excellent thanks for the tips! I am using braid and usually tie on a leader of flouro with the weight depending on what I am after. Is 20lb flouro leader about 10 feet good? Is 10lb better?
20lbs if I was to choose....I run 20lbs braid to a 8" steel leader myself...I have a willow leave up 24" from that and once is see the small spoons that is when I work the head into the hole only nudging it up once I see the nose....lost and seen too many lost as the fish swims by they try pulling it up as it is bouncing off the bottom of the ice...once they swim by I let them go under tension and then play them back so the nose is right under the hole then just pull them into the hole...finger just under the gill plate and up or if I have a glove on I will just lip them and pull them up....they got sharp teeth so not recommending lipping them bare handed

If you use the flouro I would use three feet so when you see it come up through the ice you know your close and can get down to see the fish into the hole....just a thought....ohhh and when jigging have your drag set harder than normal as you want a good hook set then adjust to play the fish...

Hope the lake is nice to you folks!!!!

Old 03-05-2021, 09:22 AM

Default Warm weather conditions

Going to head out to Cold Lake this weekend. Never been in the winter before. Only been there once for a vets toy drive.
With the warmer weather is it still good to drive on? Or should I bring some sleds? Would rather not pull a trailer if its not needed.
Thanks
Old 03-05-2021, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisrl View Post
Going to head out to Cold Lake this weekend. Never been in the winter before. Only been there once for a vets toy drive.
With the warmer weather is it still good to drive on? Or should I bring some sleds? Would rather not pull a trailer if its not needed.
Thanks
drive on...good to go...

Old 03-05-2021, 09:42 AM

i'll be getting on the ice saturday night at the provincial park area to set up and rest/fish at sunrise i'll be driving around and hole hopping. Super stoked!!

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 03-05-2021, 11:27 AM

Default Thanks

Looks like in can pack the smoker after all.
Thanks for the info
Old 03-05-2021, 05:05 PM

Yeehaa 24 inches and I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2021, 06:44 PM

This just keeps getting better. 28 inches. He pick up a 10 inche herring off the bottom.

Old 03-05-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
20lbs if I was to choose....I run 20lbs braid to a 8" steel leader myself...I have a willow leave up 24" from that and once is see the small spoons that is when I work the head into the hole only nudging it up once I see the nose....lost and seen too many lost as the fish swims by they try pulling it up as it is bouncing off the bottom of the ice...once they swim by I let them go under tension and then play them back so the nose is right under the hole then just pull them into the hole...finger just under the gill plate and up or if I have a glove on I will just lip them and pull them up....they got sharp teeth so not recommending lipping them bare handed

If you use the flouro I would use three feet so when you see it come up through the ice you know your close and can get down to see the fish into the hole....just a thought....ohhh and when jigging have your drag set harder than normal as you want a good hook set then adjust to play the fish...

Hope the lake is nice to you folks!!!!
Thank you!!! I will report back on Sunday. The kids are pumped, 4 and 6 years old and will be dreaming about a “whale” tonight. The trip itself will be fun, a lake trout would be a cherry on top!
Old 03-05-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Thank you!!! I will report back on Sunday. The kids are pumped, 4 and 6 years old and will be dreaming about a “whale” tonight. The trip itself will be fun, a lake trout would be a cherry on top!
Hope you have a good time, conditions look awesome for the weekend and weather has been stable so chances should be good. Might be a silly obvious thing to mention but if your kids are doing the reeling you will want to almost have a hand right on the rod. My 8 year old daughter got to reel a few fish in that 26-29" range last trip and a couple times that rod would have been going for a drink without a bit of help . Lakers don't gotta be huge to put up a good scrap.
Old 03-06-2021, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale S View Post
This just keeps getting better. 28 inches. He pick up a 10 inche herring off the bottom.

Very nice!

Went out for a little recce yesterday, drilled and dropped and bam....on right away then lost two in 5 minutes....place dried up so went home but found another spot so will try today....too much drilling and looking when sometimes I just sit and enjoy the sun

Old 03-06-2021, 08:37 PM

Guys how’s the fishing today? Hopefully picked up.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartly View Post
Guys how’s the fishing today? Hopefully picked up.
I found it slow. Only got 3 to the top. Maybe 1/2 dozen bites. One was a squeaker had I wanted to keep it. Caught a couple of ling at dark.

Plain jane el cheapo white tube jig dressed with herring fillet.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Hope you have a good time, conditions look awesome for the weekend and weather has been stable so chances should be good. Might be a silly obvious thing to mention but if your kids are doing the reeling you will want to almost have a hand right on the rod. My 8 year old daughter got to reel a few fish in that 26-29" range last trip and a couple times that rod would have been going for a drink without a bit of help . Lakers don't gotta be huge to put up a good scrap.
Yes you are right . I call those young Lakers Teenagers with a lot of energy and will fight like a heavyweight boxer.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:55 AM

How thick is the ice now in March.
I always like the last two weeks in March for my trips.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:15 PM

Heading there tomorrow. Unfinished business to attend to up there...
Old 03-07-2021, 12:59 PM

Had two great mornings this weekend, conditions and fishing were very good. Managed over 30 lake trout, quite a few larger ones all released! Fished in about 60 feet of water and just put a clear tube jig on the bottom with a minnow. Bite window is definitely earlier and ends fairly quick, just my experience. Cheers !
Old 03-07-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
How thick is the ice now in March.
I always like the last two weeks in March for my trips.
Bring your auger extension, it's thick.
Old 03-07-2021, 06:25 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBoss View Post
Bring your auger extension, it's thick.
huh...24" was the thickest we got in the open water but hmmmm in the back bays I guess it would be even thicker if your targeting eyes, perch and gators...

Old 03-07-2021, 06:39 PM

Well the weather could not have been better, relatively calm out wind wise, bite was slow but kept you thinking about move, change, or just see what's going to happen....ahhh the hardships of life
We managed a few, lost a bunch, had hits, misses but just enjoying the lake...got stuck...yup...moving in the afternoon...plus five out and was going really slow....up to the front diff....many thanks to the crew that came over and pushed ol'blue out...a few comments about owning a ford but who was I to argue
We are sunburnt and a little tired.....tomorrow might hold my lunker...here is hoping

FISH.jpg

IMG_4146.JPG

Ohhh 120-160' on anything you could imagine under the sun that a laker would like....was no real rhyme or reason to what was up....

Old 03-08-2021, 06:02 AM

Thanks for posting those pictures and the up date