Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-05-2021, 01:02 PM

Default Benelli Super Black Eagle 3

Any negative/positive opinions on a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3?
Old 03-05-2021, 01:43 PM

Biggest complaint seems to be not hitting where you are looking. I have an SBII and that was an issue with some of them, appears to be even bigger with the latest model. Outside of that pretty reliable shotgun that tolerates wet and snow very well.
Old 03-05-2021, 01:59 PM

If you can adjust on the fly for a shotgun hitting a foot high then give er!

It's a well documented issue. An SBEII is a deadly shotgun though if you are set on Benelli.

Fixing your mistakes sometimes costs too damn much, so they say it is within their specs.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:06 PM

Default Sb ii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Biggest complaint seems to be not hitting where you are looking. I have an SBII and that was an issue with some of them, appears to be even bigger with the latest model. Outside of that pretty reliable shotgun that tolerates wet and snow very well.
Sounds like the drop and cast needs to be fitted to you.
Old 03-05-2021, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn7 View Post

If we were swinging at targets you would have a point but this is more like target shooting. On a pattern board, my SBII puts 90% of the pattern right above where the bead is aimed, the other 10% just below, many other makes of shotguns put the bead in the middle of the pattern but some of the the SBIIIsm, not all, hit a foot, some more, above and some right or left of the point of aim. What really frosts my totsticles is like Sns2 says, Benelli is claiming that is within spec on a $2000 scattergun. I won't buy another Benelli just because that is pure bull excrement.

Last edited by threeforthree; 03-05-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
If you can adjust on the fly for a shotgun hitting a foot high then give er!

It's a well documented issue. An SBEII is a deadly shotgun though if you are set on Benelli.

Fixing your mistakes sometimes costs too damn much, so they say it is within their specs.
I’m not set on Benelli , it was just offered up as a possible trade for a nice Browning BSS that I’ve put on the auction block. I couldn’t find much negative on line but the shooting high issue has come up repeatedly. That ones hard to figure out.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
I’m not set on Benelli , it was just offered up as a possible trade for a nice Browning BSS that I’ve put on the auction block. I couldn’t find much negative on line but the shooting high issue has come up repeatedly. That ones hard to figure out.
I have owned the BSS and while a bit heavy, a far better shotgun than the sb3. It will be easier to sell than the offered trade, though wood and blue SxS are more popular with us older guys than the younger folks. .
Old 03-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohn7 View Post
If you look parallel to the rib, and aim the gun, expect a 90/10 pattern. To get a 50/50 pattern, you will be looking at the rear of the rib, and not see any bead.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Hard pass then.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Hard pass then.
That's the direction I'm leaning, but I just had a watch of a video on changing shims on the shotgun to adjust the drop and cast. I have to admit that I don't own anything that isn't stocked in walnut so having these adjustable "shims" is new to me. If these shims are set properly for the shooter does anyone know if this helps with the shooting high issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpbrtfmqYk
Old 03-06-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
That's the direction I'm leaning, but I just had a watch of a video on changing shims on the shotgun to adjust the drop and cast. I have to admit that I don't own anything that isn't stocked in walnut so having these adjustable "shims" is new to me. If these shims are set properly for the shooter does anyone know if this helps with the shooting high issue?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpbrtfmqYk

Not really. If you look straight down the rib, and can see both beads you have taken all the drop and cast out of the equation. Those shims are designed to get that alignment when you thrown the gun to your shoulder so you automatically get the view that you are adjusting too when shooting at a pattern board. If you can test fire the gun before the swap, sight it like a rifle at a large target with an aiming point at 40 yards and then see where the pattern hits. Should be dead centre from point of aim, with 90% of the pattern above the POA and 10% below. If it hits left or right and/or any amount too high then pass, the fix to get it to shoot right is fairly expensive and it isn't just shims. If it hits properly you can then certify to the next buyer that it is a GOOD SBIII. Without being able to test it on a pattern board there is no way I would take the chance unless you know the seller real well personalty.
Old 03-06-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Not really. If you look straight down the rib, and can see both beads you have taken all the drop and cast out of the equation. Those shims are designed to get that alignment when you thrown the gun to your shoulder so you automatically get the view that you are adjusting too when shooting at a pattern board. If you can test fire the gun before the swap, sight it like a rifle at a large target with an aiming point at 40 yards and then see where the pattern hits. Should be dead centre from point of aim, with 90% of the pattern above the POA and 10% below. If it hits left or right and/or any amount too high then pass, the fix to get it to shoot right is fairly expensive and it isn't just shims. If it hits properly you can then certify to the next buyer that it is a GOOD SBIII. Without being able to test it on a pattern board there is no way I would take the chance unless you know the seller real well personalty.
Gotcha. That makes sense. This is a long distance trade so trying out the shotgun is impossible so I think I better decline his offer. It's not what I was looking for in the first place, but it was offered up and it seemed like it was time I got a bit more "modern".
Old 03-16-2021, 04:23 AM

My brother has the super black eagle II. I've always wanted one, but can't justify the cost