Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I’ve almost bought one of these on more than one occasion
Finding a newer Doka is tough
And they are a little pricey lol
Makes that g wagon look like a tempo
Old 03-04-2021, 09:50 PM
Banned

I’ve had a Suzuki samurai and a Jeep JK, both 2dr rigs. Good in the bush but you would be white knuckling on the highway. That said I think I’d get a Toyota 4Runner with a 6” lift and some 33”-35” tires. I’ve never owned one but they seem to be a really capable 4 wheel drive when built properly.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
Let’s have a little bit of fun. What would be the ultimate scouting rig to handle highway gravel off road. Something like the Mercedes Benz G class but not 150k . This is the criteria . Most be ;
Road legal
4x4
4 passenger
8 plus hr hwy drives before off road starts
Great suspension for high speeds on washboard gravel
handle off-road and non-gravel oil field roads
Good fuel mileage
Storage for 4 packs and 4 weapons
Would prefer to units 10 years and older

This Will illuminate pretty much all half ton and heavier trucks because there to ruff and slow.

And go !
I've just sold a vehicle of your dream - Land Cruiser HZJ78.
Still own HZJ73 (140K on odometer). I'm planning to keep it.
Old 03-04-2021, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I’ve had a Suzuki samurai and a Jeep JK, both 2dr rigs. Good in the bush but you would be white knuckling on the highway. That said I think I’d get a Toyota 4Runner with a 6” lift and some 33”-35” tires. I’ve never owned one but they seem to be a really capable 4 wheel drive when built properly.
I seen a guy one that had a full baja suspension and and more add on than I could remember
He was flying across the muskeg faster than I could with a quad
Impressive machine
Old 03-04-2021, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
I run a 2005 Dodge Power Wagon and it works for me. The only down side it’s hard on fuel and it gets tiring pulling other trucks out of the slop when they get stuck.

Soft suspension for a 3/4 ton with Bilstein shocks soaks up the bumps and wash board. A real heavy-duty axle up front that in 200,000km has never been apart and has only had the joints replaced once with Moog Problem-Solvers and is still tight and drives great. Stock 2” lift and 4.56 gears with electric lockers front and rear and a electronically disconnecting sway bar. Stock 12,000lb Warn winch. Tons of power, AC, comfortable, can tow or pack stuff, sleep in the back with a canopy, etc...and they can be found for under $10,000 in decent shape which leaves some money for fuel and pool noodles.

I know...but it’s a Dodge...lol. I personally like them and so far the only thing replaced on mine has been a power steering pump. Despite what I hear online mines been a solid truck and while I’m the second owner the last 6 years I’ve been anything but easy on it.
I had a 2013. Great truck until I had to replace the entire front diff... Not cheap. Bought it used with a 6" lift. When I traded it in, the sales manager at dodge asked if I was going to lift my new half ton... No chance!
Old 03-04-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight View Post
I've just sold a vehicle of your dream - Land Cruiser HZJ78.
Still own HZJ73 (140K on odometer). I'm planning to keep it.

Post some pics
Old 03-05-2021, 08:37 AM

82 BJ42 Landcruiser.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:27 AM

how about a older Suburban with a Duramax conversion , mild lift , and winch. Lots of room for gear [ you will bring more then a few packs and guns....something else always seems to get thrown in] those tuna boats float down the Hwy pretty good. If your doing lots of Hwy driving no use been cramped up.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 AM

Default scouting rig

Best scouting rig I ever owned was International SCOUT. It had short wheel base , built like a tank and 8,000 lb PTO winch that operated in all the gears from transfer case. Not many cutlines in Alberta that it has not traveled down.
Though had to really wind it up to pass anyone on highway with elk in the back.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:37 AM
Banned

Vehicles are like women...it’s all about the compromises. Well, except for my wife.
Ditto here..
I have a Ural bike with side car. It has wheel drive on demand that I use for a scouting vehicle. I carry two extra 10 liter fuel cans, spare tire and tools. I have room for my hunting pack, rifle and my trusty pooch, Trooper. It doesn't fit the ops criteria for selection, but she sure fits mine. Did I mention I ride her all year long? I also have a Dodge 1500 4x4 crew cab that I can also use, but I prefer the bike.
Old 03-05-2021, 06:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Post some pics
I don't know how to post pics here
Old 03-05-2021, 10:05 PM

Horse
Old 03-05-2021, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Horse

Lol horse . A four seater horse for hwy travel I’ll look like the village people .
Old 03-06-2021, 07:29 AM

It wasnt fancy or anything, but my Kawasaki KLR 650 was for sure the best scouting machine I've come across. I'd pick my way down bush roads and rough trails real slow looking at tracks. Once I'd hit the end I could blast back down it at an ungodly speed, back out onto the highway and on to the next road with no loading/ unloading. About $20 worth of fuel would get me 350kms of this.

Also not so exotic as allot of the pipe dream vehicles listed here, but incredibly effective, my military surplus snowshoes. I've acquired quite a collection of snowshoes over the years, but these are my favorite. With a good base of snow, big snowshoes are like 4x4 for your feet, allowing you to travel right over thick underbrush that you would have trouble passing through in the summer. There is no better way to make some serious off-trail miles IMO.

By the time I've found a good concentration of tracks with the dual sport during the summer, then made a couple loops through the area on snowshoes, I've got a pretty good chance of connecting even on the very first time I hunt that area. I cant see any amount of money, spent on some fool machine, actually making for more effective scouting.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 AM

Also not so exotic as allot of the pipe dream vehicles listed here,

. I cant see any amount of money, spent on some fool machine, actually making for more effective scouting.[/QUOTE]

I think you and a small few other are slightly missing the point . When I say scouting vehicle , I should have said scouting trip vehicle. I’m my mind the “vehicle “ get you from home to your desired hunting grounds. Then you do your walking, and so on .

Not all roads and trails are conducive for a stock vehicle . Ps. With what’s going on in the world right now it’s a A lot nicer to think about “pipe dreams” . Day dreaming is free !
Old 03-06-2021, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Also not so exotic as allot of the pipe dream vehicles listed here,

. I cant see any amount of money, spent on some fool machine, actually making for more effective scouting.

I think you and a small few other are slightly missing the point . When I say scouting vehicle , I should have said scouting trip vehicle. I’m my mind the “vehicle “ get you from home to your desired hunting grounds. Then you do your walking, and so on .

Not all roads and trails are conducive for a stock vehicle . Ps. With what’s going on in the world right now it’s a A lot nicer to think about “pipe dreams” . Day dreaming is free ![/QUOTE]

I think that some of us were confused in thinking that you actually wanted sound advice about scouting vehicles, where as it seems like you are more shooting for a silly chat to kill some boredom, and I intend that in the most light hearted sense possible, not trying to be mean.

Might I suggest the Christian Bale era Batmobile?
Old 03-06-2021, 09:34 AM

This is my baby and daily driver;

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

5 speed standard
4 cylinders
150,000 miles
6' box
topper
easily carries an elk
Never been through a creek
No rust, no damage, no repairs
New General Grabber A/T tires from Tire Bob

I looked steady for over 4 years when I found it.....

It is not for sale, but it sure piques the interest at the pumps. It is the perfect truck for me.

The link looks like my truck...
http://www.2040-cars.com/Toyota/Taco...topper-566189/

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 03-06-2021 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-06-2021, 04:33 PM

The answer to this problem has been around since the 40’s but became more evident in 2007 when they built the unlimited. You guys drive past them every day and don’t see it because most never get used in the dirt. I hated jeeps until I used one and saw what they’re capable of being built like.
My tj was a weapon and went anywhere a quad would plus down the hwy with a windshield, heater, air conditioning and radio. Two passengers no problem, dead elk in the back many times. Four passengers was a hindrance. The swampers howled on the hwy but the performance was worth it. 4:88 gears, lockers in both axles and a winch on each end, I called it a shotgun. Just point and shoot, couldn’t miss.

The jku had to replace it for a hunting rig due to a growing family and I never built it the way I wanted because we left the country. If I ever move back I’ll build it with a GM V8, one ton axles and put it on coilovers, 42’s, flat fenders 2.5-3” lift and add a winch on the caboose. Even stock it got around just fine and what a joy on the hwy compared to the tj.

On a 1.5” lift and 35’s it did better although I don’t have many action shots on my phone.

Here’s overnight gear, a calf sled, two kids in car seats and a dead moose in her.

I have some 35” maxxis bias ply tires for it too but they’re in the sea can waiting with the Jeep for whenever I visit the motherland again.

The ultimate hunting rig is a built Jeep and your imagination and budget is the only limitation.
Old 03-06-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I still kick my azz for selling my old Suzuki Samurai back in 1996. Ran implement tires on her. I had to trailer it when going hunting. But no big deal. Had an 8000 lb Warn on it.

Low gear on a cut line, and way you go.

Once I figure out to scan old pics, and post it here, will do it.

That thing was a little tank!

PS: Nice rig you are building there Posi...!!
Old 03-07-2021, 09:46 AM
Banned

If researching market a good resource for mileage comparisons is fuelled.com. A lot of great options in this thread but most have zero mileage and many not current or likely findable options.

If one needed more robust than a Subaru wagon then the Jeep Wrangler jlu would fit the bill, a rubicon stock or add a few things to lesser models. Trade some comfort and some economy for a far better more robust off road rig. The previous gen JK’s are still 75/25 trail/road worthy but the newer JL’s are true 50/50.

The only way to approach single digit liters per 100km fuel economy is the Subaru wagons or a diesel Colorado. One you can count on for resale and reliability and the other may be a lottery there. Otherwise best mileage in a truck be 2017 or newer ridgelines at 11.5 l/100km combined on fuelly. But not one to get far off the lease roads.

Toyota stuff doesn’t do comfort well imo and many complaints on that regard but reliable and good resale yes...mileage no.

I had a pentastar ram get wrecked recently and it was awesome for a half ton and it got better economy than the Tacoma’s. I’ve since gone Jeep gladiator lifted on 37’s with 4.88 gears and manual transmission same pentastar v6 so now my mileage is in line with v-8 half tons but I’m happy about it. I’m driving a unicorn so it’s worth it to me.

Have fun on fuelly.com. Set some targets on economy and see how few options there are in this regard.

Subaru some of the smartest vehicles available imo. Honda Ridgeline pretty amazing also. Big fan of Jeep wranglers also, the newer JL’s...great blend of compromise and capability and can do ok on mileage if you do t get carried away with tires/mods...the pentastar is a great motor.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 03-07-2021 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiloil37 View Post
The answer to this problem has been around since the 40’s but became more evident in 2007 when they built the unlimited. You guys drive past them every day and don’t see it because most never get used in the dirt. I hated jeeps until I used one and saw what they’re capable of being built like.
My tj was a weapon and went anywhere a quad would plus down the hwy with a windshield, heater, air conditioning and radio. Two passengers no problem, dead elk in the back many times. Four passengers was a hindrance. The swampers howled on the hwy but the performance was worth it. 4:88 gears, lockers in both axles and a winch on each end, I called it a shotgun. Just point and shoot, couldn’t miss.

The jku had to replace it for a hunting rig due to a growing family and I never built it the way I wanted because we left the country. If I ever move back I’ll build it with a GM V8, one ton axles and put it on coilovers, 42’s, flat fenders 2.5-3” lift and add a winch on the caboose. Even stock it got around just fine and what a joy on the hwy compared to the tj.

On a 1.5” lift and 35’s it did better although I don’t have many action shots on my phone.

Here’s overnight gear, a calf sled, two kids in car seats and a dead moose in her.

I have some 35” maxxis bias ply tires for it too but they’re in the sea can waiting with the Jeep for whenever I visit the motherland again.

The ultimate hunting rig is a built Jeep and your imagination and budget is the only limitation.
I agree, love shotgun, great build!

Also the JK’s are great platform, great resale, super robust, get the pentastar versions which start in 2012 I believe. Not super great highway rides but 100-110 km/h pretty livable. For 10 year olds options tough to beat and the older Cherokee 4.0 liter are pretty sought after (XJ’s) by off-road crowds. I’m not a fan of Toyota but those old four runners seem popular like the Cherokees.
Old 03-07-2021, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
I agree, love shotgun, great build!

Also the JK’s are great platform, great resale, super robust, get the pentastar versions which start in 2012 I believe. Not super great highway rides but 100-110 km/h pretty livable. For 10 year olds options tough to beat and the older Cherokee 4.0 liter are pretty sought after (XJ’s) by off-road crowds. I’m not a fan of Toyota but those old four runners seem popular like the Cherokees.
Mines a 12 with the 3.6 and the six speed. It was more then comfortable on the hwy at any speed for any duration with pretty decent fuel mileage. Any that aren’t comfortable on the hwy probably suffer from a poor lift/geometry. I would of preferred a regear to 4:88 but the 4:10 was tolerable on light 35’s with that idrive chip to speed up the throttle response.
If I ever move back and build it I’ll put 5:38 gears in it with a V8 and auto transmission on 42’s.

I had a 92 hilux and 01 4Runner and now being in Oz the hilux, prado, land cruisers and cruiser utes and they can’t/don’t hold a candle to what a jeeps capable of.

Last edited by Coiloil37; 03-07-2021 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-07-2021, 01:23 PM

Another worthy consideration would be the new Land Rover Defender.
Old 03-15-2021, 10:34 PM

I’ve got an 08 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Looks like a mom wagon before the 4” lift and 33’s. It has the 3.0 Mercedes diesel, drives great on hwy, good mileage and has never let me down off road.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:17 PM

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee.. The last year jeep built a solid axel front end,. Mine has a 4.5" lift, I think it is a little high but she has never let me down in the 12 years I have owned her. Only thing missing is a good winch. Fuel mileage sucks but I did not buy it for that reason,

Keeps all my range gear and hunting supplies dry and safe and within easy access when the time comes, and looks pretty good doing it.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingfisher View Post
Another worthy consideration would be the new Land Rover Defender.
These look pretty good