Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2018, 06:07 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
What a perfect scenario you picture. Can you actually pull that one off ?
Yup,
Practiced many times,
Little 6-284 punches the first round off I don't panic, keep scope on target and butt tight to shoulder while moving hand to bolt cycling another round....like e erythronium else practice....use to shoot, see point of impact, lift head off rifle, jack another she'll and then try to get on target....realized why the heck am I panicking and rushing things....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb274181 View Post
Those are some heavy rifles! Part of the reason for the lead sled is also to reduce shooter inadequacy when building up loads and sighting in. Once I know that both the ammunition and rifle are accurate, then it must be the shooter's (my) screw up when I miss.
My 300 Win Mag was built so it was light enough to carry but still heavy enough to be stable shooting at 1000 yds. The 6.5X47 is heavy. It was the perfect gun to hunt Texas this past winter just sitting in elevated box blinds. Like the old saying says; the right tool for the job. Which also gives us an excuse to buy multiple guns.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:28 AM

The power of the mind

So I spent the last few days sorting out the tack for my replacement rifle build.

A mid weight sporter with mid range cartrage much like the rifle I own, thoughts of recoil and kick back had me thinking about the MB thing, my mind was starting to play tricks on me.

I loaded up some ammo went to the range, and found out that the only thing that needs improving is the crappy trigger. Ha.

The new Remmy light weight was onto the small gong at 600 meters by the 3rd shot, I was so focused on shooting the horizontal as I battled the light gusts of wind.

The 180 bullets found their way down there, so the MB thought is now shelved.

Like the old guy told me years ago, a good recoil pad, shoulder pad at the range, thick winter jack at harvest time, a nice size critter in the sights,,, and you won't even feel the shot if your mind is in the right frame of mind.

Yuppers, the light weigth pipe is ready to rock.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:16 PM

Even though I have had shoulder surgery, I do not find recoil does not bother my shoulder. That said, now that I am getting older I find I enjoy lighter recoil. I very seldom use more than a 20 gauge for anything and when I use a 12 for clay I often used 7/8 oz and even 3/4 oz. I started doing this to save on lead shot

As far as rifles go I no longer own a magnum and now a 7-08 is my big gun. I have found that for me decelerators and limb savers do not make much difference.

In my previous life when I used to shoot a lot of trap I did find that a mercy reducer helped a bit. That said, I found that getting the pitch right for me made more difference to my shooting comfort than the actual pad.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:00 PM

Funny, I'm the opposite. When I was young I used to think my .444 was a big kicker, I used to get a bruised shoulder and flinched a lot.

30 years later my favorite is my unbraked .500 Jeffery with 700-grainers. I shoot the .375 and .300 mags for a light day out. I have more mass in the shoulder area now, however I do work the upper body often including bench press and I think that helps a lot. Recoil just does not bother me anymore.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:14 AM

Default I hear your pain

Never thought the recoil of my favorite 300 Weatherby would effect my accuracy. However as I age my tolerance for pain decreases. Maybe just getting smarter. I put my 300 WBY Mag up for sale and will be downsizing to the 257 WBY.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:40 AM

In a lot of cases, except for injury, the inability to handle recoil is more a factor of conditioning than age. As we get older we must keep working those muscles, you would think the extra weight would do the trick but it doesn't really.
Old 07-26-2018, 05:04 PM

I love my T3 Lite 6.5X55. It does a great job at everything from cow elk down to gophers if you are willing to shell out the $ for the ammo. The felt recoil in my opinion is around a 22-250.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:57 PM

I’m on my way to 65, and started moving to lighter recoiling rifles a few years ago. It occurred to me during a moose hunt that I was thinking about the recoil, something that had never crossed my mind on a hunt before.
Around the same time, the number, and duration of my hunts dropped off. Kids all grown up, none very fond of game to begin with. Just the two of us, and since losing half my jaw to cancer a decade ago, chewing meat hasn’t been an enjoyable way to have a meal. Seemed like a bit counter productive to go and take a moose then grind most of it.
I went to smaller calibers too, and ended up with a .243 for deer, no more moose hunts. The last couple of years the vast majority of my shooting has been with pistol caliber carbines; a JR, Keltec S2000 and a Kriss Vector in 9mm, and a Rossi Ranch hand in .357 mag, with a model 92 shoulder stock on it. The Rossi, i’ve Worked up a smoking hot load with 180 gr. Roundnose bullets that i’d Be perfectly comfortable with it as a self Defense round for black bear, and it’s so nice and short, light and easy pointing it’s a great walking around brush gun.
It happens to all of us, this getting old crap. My shooting shoulder has rotator cuff damage, and i’d Like to avoid the surgery if I can
Old 08-07-2018, 11:12 PM

I’ve recently moved from magnums to 7x57 and 257 Roberts. I think archery has made me dislike the muzzle blast / noise of rifles more so than the recoil. I love the tranquility of practicing on the archery range. It’s a great escape for me. Now that I’m shooting about 45 gr of powder instead of 65++ I’m really enjoying the rifles again. I had a load for a 300 wsm that was very accurate and gave me a ton of confidence in the hunting scenarios knowing I could shoot it so well. I now can do the same and happen to take on less recoil in return.
I’ll still add a 35 whelen or similar but it shouldn’t be the same as the sharp abrupt jolt of the magnum rounds. The fact I don’t care to shoot as far as I used to does play into that decision as well. If I wanted a rifle fully capable out to 500 or 600 yards something like one of the 7mm magnums would likely fit the bill. But a whelen out to 300 or 400 and likely only <150 for 90 % of the shots on game I’ll take is good enough for me.
I can’t say I am adverse to recoil so much as I’m just thinking it’s mostly unnecessary. That 7x57 is just a treat. Not much more recoil than a 22-250 and very effective at the terminal end
Old 08-07-2018, 11:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
I can’t say I am adverse to recoil so much as I’m just thinking it’s mostly unnecessary. That 7x57 is just a treat.
It's a beautiful thing once you figure that out hey? I came to the same realization a year or two ago. I thought I'd save on powder shooting smaller cartridges...... man was I wrong!
Old 08-08-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
It's a beautiful thing once you figure that out hey? I came to the same realization a year or two ago. I thought I'd save on powder shooting smaller cartridges...... man was I wrong!

Makes me wonder why I spent so much time with magnums before. I do have some fun memories from the 300 wsm working up some deadly accurate and fast loads for the 180 accubond. They have their place and only they do what they do, but since getting into bowhunting, I’ve lost much of my interest in the long shots. So these tamer rounds suddenly seem like a new great thing - even though the 7x57 was developed in 1892!

edit: forgot to mention, I’ll eventually be looking to build a lightweight 7x57 on a tikka action. Just need to find one on the cheap (possibly barrel shot out)
Old 08-08-2018, 11:00 PM

Default Yes

At the other end of the age spectrum, I load reduced-recoil loads for my kids in .308, and with the limbsavers they're very manageable. I've done that with 7mm-08 as well. I enjoyed shooting those rifles so much I started doing the same thing for my .30-06 for target practice. You can bump back up to full loads for hunting season and they don't notice the recoil in the field when hunting; seems to help prevent any flinching or bad habits. Heavier rifles help of course, but younger/older hunters (and me!) don't want to pack the extra weight around.