Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-16-2022, 12:09 PM

While I do resent the cost of an inreach I’ll likely never use I’d have a hard time justifying not carrying one if I ever needed it. Most of the places I like to hunt have no cell service, poor roads and locals with sketchy vehicles. Buddy came across a rollover up north. Kid wore his seatbelt and was OK with a broken arm but they had to watch the driver writhe around and die in the ditch. It took hours for word to get out and help to arrive.
The fact is that trouble for me in the back country is most likely not going to be life threatening. I like the inreach so I could text out and tell my wife who to send in and why. Better than some city raised Rcmp at a his first post having to figure it out or a full blown search and rescue opp for a busted outboard prop.
Old 05-16-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I get a bit of a chuckle out of that, no one is trying to shove anything down anybodies throat. Just giving options not knowing exactly all the details however the op did mention solo bear down the road. I dunno-some of the places a person can end up bear hunting would have me bringing some form of communication, without getting into the real backcountry or considering personal harm. Even being careful it's fairly possible to find yourself stuck with no cell service and no idea when the next person is coming by.
Once again... I dont care at all what the op does in the least, but in the interest of accuracy I'll point out that for the most part it is the tech side of this debate making the far more aggressive sales pitch. Enjoy your chuckle though.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:14 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Questions regarding hunting solo

All I know is that the OP can scale back the hunt to stick and stones or turn it into go go gadget!
Nice to have choices to suit your fancy which is what solo hunting is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-16-2022, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
All I know is that the OP can scale back the hunt to stick and stones or turn it into go go gadget!
Nice to have choices to suit your fancy which is what solo hunting is all about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To be honest, my hunting wants will most likely evolve past of what I original posted since I've only started hunting for the last 4 years. Most likely my tools in a hunting trip will become entire different in the future.

So I do appreciate seeing advice from the other end of the spectrum (using less tools, going more minimalist, leaning more into mountain hiking and etc).

Never really know what my hunting journey will entail in the future.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonEli View Post
To be honest, my hunting wants will most likely evolve past of what I original posted since I've only started hunting for the last 4 years. Most likely my tools in a hunting trip will become entire different in the future.

So I do appreciate seeing advice from the other end of the spectrum (using less tools, going more minimalist, leaning more into mountain hiking and etc).

Never really know what my hunting journey will entail in the future.
Everybody needs to find their own path. Some collect more gear with time others cutback on gear as they find what they personally value

In the end to go hunting you don’t need much at all but when you start talking about what guys like to have that is another story
Old 05-16-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Everybody needs to find their own path. Some collect more gear with time others cutback on gear as they find what they personally value

In the end to go hunting you don’t need much at all but when you start talking about what guys like to have that is another story
I used to cary around a fairly large pack full of stuff, just because it seemed to be the normal thing to do.

These days I have binoculars, matches, a compass, and a pocket knife on my person As well as a Micky bottle of water and a sandwich bag of sausage and cheese. I then have a fanny pack with some extra rounds, another compass, a call, tags, a headlamp, camera, and hunting knife in it. Early season I've got bug spray and TP.

This has been my gear for quite a few years now, so I think I've hit my practical minimum. About the only real problem is there is no room to store extra layers of clothes. Since I stay on the move all day I'm generaly pretty good at knowing hat I need to wear for a day in the bush in most conditions, but as I mentioned, if I need to spend a night in the bush I know its going to be pretty uncomfortable.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:42 PM

Lot's of good suggestions on what to have on you. I will change this up a bit and say think about what kind of trouble you can get into with you vehicle. Getting stuck without gear to jack up or cut trees to put under tires if you are high centered is a serious pain. Jackall, swede saw, axe, come-a-long, shovel, heavy duty pull straps and some blocking all are in the back of the truck and all have been used at various times. Sometimes for me and sometimes for helping others out.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:11 PM

I generally get away on day hunts only. Always let someone know where I'm going and in oh 80% of where I hunt have cell service. But I always carry water n snacks, a way to purify water, several different ways to start a fire, the all-important toilet paper, a trauma first aid type kit, tarp and emergency blanket, head lamp w/spare batteries, 550 cord and until I lost it 2 falls back a camp saw. With those items I should be able to build a shelter, make a fire, stay hydrated and provide basic first aid if injured from stabilizing a broken bone within reason or bandaging a cut etc...
Old 05-16-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Lot's of good suggestions on what to have on you. I will change this up a bit and say think about what kind of trouble you can get into with you vehicle. Getting stuck without gear to jack up or cut trees to put under tires if you are high centered is a serious pain. Jackall, swede saw, axe, come-a-long, shovel, heavy duty pull straps and some blocking all are in the back of the truck and all have been used at various times. Sometimes for me and sometimes for helping others out.
This is solid advice.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
I used to cary around a fairly large pack full of stuff, just because it seemed to be the normal thing to do.

These days I have binoculars, matches, a compass, and a pocket knife on my person As well as a Micky bottle of water and a sandwich bag of sausage and cheese. I then have a fanny pack with some extra rounds, another compass, a call, tags, a headlamp, camera, and hunting knife in it. Early season I've got bug spray and TP.

This has been my gear for quite a few years now, so I think I've hit my practical minimum. About the only real problem is there is no room to store extra layers of clothes. Since I stay on the move all day I'm generaly pretty good at knowing hat I need to wear for a day in the bush in most conditions, but as I mentioned, if I need to spend a night in the bush I know its going to be pretty uncomfortable.
Knife, bino’s, ammo, TP, small emergency homemade fire starter kit, my phone, headlamp, a drink, snack, tags, and calls. That is my day pack and the way I have done it for as long as I can remember. Sometimes on short still hunts I carry bino’s, knife, and whatever weapon I am hunting with nothing else

Not much different then you

Most of the mentors I had into my early 20’s hunted this way. Theses were/are very accomplished bush and mountain hunters. 2 of them would probably be viewed as crazy savages the way they hunted early season alpine mule deer, goat, and sheep lol

It’s not ego like some seem to think it’s the way I was taught and have hunted this way since I was 10 years old. For me it’s a matter of if it ain’t broke why fix it lol

But really whatever someone needs to get out and enjoy their hunt I say giver
Old 05-16-2022, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Agree
Old 05-16-2022, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. A punctured tire, becoming stuck or going down the ditch is most likely going to be one of my biggest worries. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than running into trouble with the vehicle.

I have a capstan gas winch (portable gas winch brand, 1000lbs rated with 1 mechanical advantage, can I increase the lbs rating with more pulleys) I bring while hunting. Along with heavy duty straps, pulleys, ropes, D-rings, snatch block, etc. As well as, I have a skid board that I have used in the past to become unstuck during a spring off roading.

I have considered a hi lift jack, but to be honest, I don’t really see myself needing one since I already have a capstan winch. Plus, I don’t have a point on my truck I can use to lift with.

As for puncture tires, I’m considering either a bottle jack or a Powerbuilt 640912 All-in-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand (https://tinyurl.com/2a5nppxr)

Thinking of buying a come-a-long as a back up for my gas winch.

As per the rest of the items. I do have an axe, a saw, military shovel and a block.

Although, I’m thinking of buying a gas chainsaw for tree that falls on the road.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Agreed. A punctured tire, becoming stuck or going down the ditch is most likely going to be one of my biggest worries. Nothing ruins a hunt faster than running into trouble with the vehicle.

I have a capstan gas winch (portable gas winch brand, 1000lbs rated with 1 mechanical advantage, can I increase the lbs rating with more pulleys) I bring while hunting. Along with heavy duty straps, pulleys, ropes, D-rings, snatch block, etc. As well as, I have a skid board that I have used in the past to become unstuck during a spring off roading.

I have considered a hi lift jack, but to be honest, I don’t really see myself needing one since I already have a capstan winch. Plus, I don’t have a point on my truck I can use to lift with.

As for puncture tires, I’m considering either a bottle jack or a Powerbuilt 640912 All-in-One 3-Ton Bottle Jack with Jack Stand (https://tinyurl.com/2a5nppxr)

As per the rest of the items. I do have an axe, a saw, military shovel and a block.

Although, I’m thinking of buying a gas chainsaw for tree that falls on the road.
My own method, is to simply hunt places with better vehicle access when the roads are in poor shape. I'm constantly scouting, and road conditions are one of the things I keep in mind. I have areas that I can walk right off the pavement and get into good hunting, so these are generally reserved for times when I know the bush roads are bad. I also have places way back in the bush that I dont even think about trying to hunt untill after freeze up.

I have a few places that are quad access only, but this IMO introduces a whole new level of risk to a slolo hunter. It puts you way farther into the bush than you can easily walk out of, with a whole new machine to break down or get stuck. I try to avoid ATV use as much as possible for solo hunts.
Old 05-17-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:

I carry a few recovery items in my truck..
A highlift, with wheel lift attachment ( its worth having)
Chain 25'
Dynema 1/2"x100'
Snatch blocks
Axe
Shovel
Bow saw( or chain saw)

My truck is out fitted with a 10k winch so i also have a pull pall but thats just for ease.

A highlift can be used as a winch or to lift your vehicle. Look into making or buying the tire hook attachment. It allows you to lift right off your tire rim.

As for hunting gear im very minimal when it come to electronic stuff..I tell my wife where ill be then just go hunt. Know your limits and learn how to identify dangerous situations. Im always prepared to spend a night in the bush but my bushcraft skills have been honed for decades so i dont need a ton of gear to be comfortable. Years ago in my 20s i was a huge minimalistic back packer and other than minor injuries we escaped unscathed. Not taking risks is the biggest thing, developing skills is second. Dont let the hunting alone thing scare you...make a plan, be realistic, be prepared, have fun..

My biggest problem with tech is many of the guys i know who have them rely on it absolutely.. if for whatever it ever failed they would be in big trouble. Humans have lived, hunted, hiked, and worked in the wilderness for ages without gadgets. Learn those skills and add the gadget as a backup perhaps...but dont just rely on a gadget to save you.
Old 05-17-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
A highlift, with wheel lift attachment ( its worth having)
Great point - I have the Lift-Mate.

Works great - especially considering you are jacking against the suspension and not having to lift the whole vehicle. Recommend getting a solid base for the hi-lift so that it has less of a tendency to slip out while jacking, too.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 05-17-2022 at 11:01 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post

My biggest problem with tech is many of the guys i know who have them rely on it absolutely.. if for whatever it ever failed they would be in big trouble. Humans have lived, hunted, hiked, and worked in the wilderness for ages without gadgets. Learn those skills and add the gadget as a backup perhaps...but dont just rely on a gadget to save you.
I was done with replying to the inreach/spot debate until I read this. Your last sentence is bang on. I couldn't agree more on it.

I view it like wearing my motorcycle jacket, I am not relying on it as a do all end all so i can be an absolute idiot while riding. But it's a comfort knowing if it goes really south that might make the difference.

They are not an instant push the button help appears, you still need to know how to get out yourself or stay overnight in discomfort.
Old 05-17-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
I was done with replying to the inreach/spot debate until I read this. Your last sentence is bang on. I couldn't agree more on it.

I view it like wearing my motorcycle jacket, I am not relying on it as a do all end all so i can be an absolute idiot while riding. But it's a comfort knowing if it goes really south that might make the difference.

They are not an instant push the button help appears, you still need to know how to get out yourself or stay overnight in discomfort.
I think most everyone could agree with that.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Great point - I have the Lift-Mate.

Works great - especially considering you are jacking against the suspension and not having to lift the whole vehicle. Recommend getting a solid base for the hi-lift so that it has less of a tendency to slip out while jacking, too.

I did some research about the hi-lift jack. It looks like a great tool and is very popular for the off road community, but it looks to be prone to operator error. Knowing myself enough, I’ll most likely become hurt by it. Though, it is an option as a back up.

I did look at some other options around online. I found some options. Here’s what I found:

- Pro eagle 3 ton jack – (https://www.proeagle.com/products/bi...jack-the-beast). Popular with the off roading community in NA and has most likely proven itself. Made in the USA as well. Only downside is that it is excessively expensive.

- A bottle jack (any ton) with safe jack’s universal mounting plate (giving the bottle jack a wide base to work on) and a saddle on top of the bottle jack– (https://safejacks.com/products/universal-base-plate) – Looks to be a cheaper option than the pro eagle, plus it’s lighter in weight. Very familiar to use as well.

- Buying an aluminum alligator jack, removing the wheels, and installing an aluminum skid plate in lieu of the wheels – Like what this guy did in youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH6ia8boLw&t=5s) – Another cheaper option. Looks to be compact. Plus, it’s an equipment that’s familiar

- An exhaust bladder jack – (https://bushranger.com.au/product/x-jack/) – An odd jack that is popular in Australia. Never seen it used here in NA. But if it’s popular in Australia, it must have some sort of merit. Though, I put in an axle stand when using one. Though, this brand looks to be brand.

What are your guys’ opinions about these jacks I’ve looked at?
Old 05-19-2022, 02:58 PM

Quote:
I did some research about the hi-lift jack. It looks like a great tool and is very popular for the off road community, but it looks to be prone to operator error. Knowing myself enough, I’ll most likely become hurt by it. Though, it is an option as a back up.

I did look at some other options around online. I found some options. Here’s what I found:

- Pro eagle 3 ton jack – (https://www.proeagle.com/products/bi...jack-the-beast). Popular with the off roading community in NA and has most likely proven itself. Made in the USA as well. Only downside is that it is excessively expensive.

- A bottle jack (any ton) with safe jack’s universal mounting plate (giving the bottle jack a wide base to work on) and a saddle on top of the bottle jack– (https://safejacks.com/products/universal-base-plate) – Looks to be a cheaper option than the pro eagle, plus it’s lighter in weight. Very familiar to use as well.

- Buying an aluminum alligator jack, removing the wheels, and installing an aluminum skid plate in lieu of the wheels – Like what this guy did in youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeH6ia8boLw&t=5s) – Another cheaper option. Looks to be compact. Plus, it’s an equipment that’s familiar

- An exhaust bladder jack – (https://bushranger.com.au/product/x-jack/) – An odd jack that is popular in Australia. Never seen it used here in NA. But if it’s popular in Australia, it must have some sort of merit. Though, I put in an axle stand when using one. Though, this brand looks to be brand.

What are your guys’ opinions about these jacks I’ve looked at?
Honestly none of those systems seem easy to use out in the field. I still think a highlift with proper rigging is better.. it can be used to lift or pull, even shift a vehicle over horizontally. Yes they can be dangerous but only if you dont take precautions. Work smart and you wont have a problem...
Old 05-19-2022, 03:09 PM

Trac grabbers are actually quite handy as well if your not real stuck. One of the best tools for vehicle recovery though is not taking risks or chances in the first place unless your very confident in your recovery skills. Vehicle recovery if not done correctly can result in costly repair bills.
Old 05-19-2022, 03:12 PM

I think the idea of the hydraulic jack on skids is not too bad, and I have been researching the exhaust bladder jacks too.

I don't think I would use a bottle jack, though (I have had to in the past out of sheer necessity, and I certainly never would want to do that again!)

That being said, all of those options often require you to dig out enough area under the vehicle to place the jack. With the Hi-Lift using the wheel attachment, that's not an issue.

That being said, Eli is right - there's a decent potential of injury and/or vehicle damage when using a Hi-Lift. I've had the my bell rung by a rebounding handle, and I have seen the jacks wipe out and damage the vehicle (hence why I recommend the bottom plate to reduce that risk).

Trac Grabbers (thanks, Obsessed1!) and those traction boards have definitely been beneficial for me in the past too.
Old 05-22-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Maybe I don’t really think about it because I have hunted solo often for years from day hunts to 2 week backpack hunts. I don’t pack any fancy electronics or worry about cell service

All I ever do is make sure it is known when I will be back and where I went

My opinion is don’t overthink it go hunting and use common sense
I did this myself for years. Hunting and also backpacking in the rockies. This past year my 12 year old son started coming with me and for what seems like the first time I questioned myself about this. In the end I bought myself a Zoleo satellite communicator for these trips. Really should have got one years ago.
Old 05-23-2022, 10:15 AM

My son always complained "Dad how come we never get stuck when hunting" I said I always avoid real bad mud holes & places, finally drove down cutline and into creek to show him how to get truck out.
Old 05-24-2022, 11:47 AM

Due to my schedule/shift work I have been hunting solo 95% of the time, for the past 20 years.

Last year I faced my biggest challenge yet of field dressing 2 cow elk by myself. Started at 7:30am and finished around 11am. The temps went from 7C to 27C during this period. Very happy I didn't forget the game bags.

I have never been in an area where cell coverage was an issue but have thought of getting a satellite text messenger just in case. And I've never hunted solo in an area where I couldn't get back to the truck at the end of the day, so I take as much as my truck can carry. I just purchased my first quad a couple years ago as my body is starting to show it's age so everything was on foot before then. A game cart, calf sled, meat back pack and dragging by the antlers was how I got stuff back to the truck based on the terrain.
Old 06-14-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
Was at Canadian Tire the other day and saw this on clearance, which made me think of this thread:

Maybe someone is looking and your CT has it on clearance too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
The only reason they are on sale at cabelas and such is because Garmin puts them on sale. Just keep an eye on their website.

Good price on the 66's right now
https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/623975/pn/010-02088-01
Nope, they are clearing them out. Now $280.

If it drops more, I will pick one up (maybe).
Old 06-15-2022, 09:42 AM

FYI: Inreach Minis are being cleared out to make way for the slightly-more-refined Mini-2 that's on the market.
Old 06-22-2022, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
I agree with everything said. Honestly, I can’t understand the people not carrying an Inreach if out of the service area or in the mountains. I think the only two reasons are:

1) Cheap….. or can’t afford it
2) No wife/kids/family/ friends etc at home worrying about you.

I can’t think of a single other reason NOT to bring one. You bring it for the peace of mind for both you and your loved ones. Had a friend break his leg at the top of the mountain, a very very remote location, and S&R was there within the hour in a heli and saved him. No inreach would have been a complete and total nightmare.
I think your friend's experience of being responded to within an hour in a remote location is not the way it usually goes down. Many factors at play when it comes to response times. I think that's one of the myths about carrying an inreach, you hit the red button and the cavalry deploys. Sometimes it can take up to 12 hours. Just saying a solo hunter needs to be able to take care of themselves. Basic knowledge of first aid and a kit, fire starting ability, items to keep you warm and dry.
Not trying to be negative, just realistic.