Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-09-2022, 01:38 PM
Banned

Default Questions regarding hunting solo

Asking for advice to which equipment is require and general advice when starting to hunt solo for the first time.

I recently started a shift work job (2 days on and 2 days off, etc); unfortunately, my hunting partner is working a regular time job (monday to friday, with some saturday OT). This will mean I can only go hunting every other weekend, which is a bummer in my opinion.

So I've been contemplating to do a single day solo hunting tip (shooting birds) to get my feet wet. Eventually, I want to do some solo spring bear hunts next year or the year after (hunting partner is usually busy during spring and really has no interest in doing spring bear hunts).

Grateful for any advice.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:42 PM
Banned

Depending on cell reception
But if your travelling where communication is limited, get an inreach
Old 05-09-2022, 01:43 PM

Enjoy it.

Let someone know where you are going if you are worried about it. Try to have a Spot or other Satellite communication device on you if things go sideways.

Bring and carry a proper First aid kit.

Lots of people worry about bears and such, but there's a far greater occurrence of breakdowns, falls, trips, getting lost, etc. Be prepared and be smart.

Always carry fire starter and survival gear for what you are doing and always be prepared to walk out from wherever you are if you need. I've broken down so many quads and walked back to the truck it's becoming a comedy.

Never go farther in then you are willing to pack something you shoot out.

Weather will always change and usually in a hurry. Be prepared.

Have fun. Shoot straight. Many of lifes best memories and stories are created on your own in the wild.
Old 05-09-2022, 01:59 PM

As guys have said get a form of communication figured out. Go in prepared for a worst case scenario( sometimes this means gear, other times skill sets, and most often mind set). Have fun and make memories.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:02 PM

solo is my favorite way to hunt, you would be surprised on how much game is accessible by walking only by yourself, if you are patient enough! Get a good frame pack, learn the gutless method, and your good to go!
Old 05-09-2022, 02:07 PM

I hunt alone alot and quite enjoy it. I have learned to pick my battles and don’t do anything that looks sketchy or second thought ish. You still need to be able to get your animal out. I hand winched a bear out one time 200 yards, 25 feet at a time to where I could get the quad. Tree to tree reset the pulleys do over. Lol, fun times.
I let some one know where I am going, where I will be and how long. I don’t deviate without letting someone know I’ve changed locations.
I also leave a note on my dash, one hunter in the bush, if you see this truck after (set time) call this number and rescue.
So far so good, and it really is quite enjoyable.
Have fun, bring lunch, water and first aid. I keep a cell phone, my gps and extra good batteries.

Tullfan
Old 05-09-2022, 02:20 PM

Maybe I don’t really think about it because I have hunted solo often for years from day hunts to 2 week backpack hunts. I don’t pack any fancy electronics or worry about cell service

All I ever do is make sure it is known when I will be back and where I went

My opinion is don’t overthink it go hunting and use common sense
Old 05-09-2022, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Maybe I don’t really think about it because I have hunted solo often for years from day hunts to 2 week backpack hunts. I don’t pack any fancy electronics or worry about cell service

All I ever do is make sure it is known when I will be back and where I went

My opinion is don’t overthink it go hunting and use common sense
Lots of stories about missing hikers and hunters that have done that. This day and age it's totally unnecessary.

Problem is you go on a week trip, get injured 2 days in, no-one even starts to think about what happened to you for another 5 days at least.

Get an inreach; let someone know where you're going. I don't have to worry about leaving my area to go to another or hiking further in, I just text the wife over the inreach.

I hunt solo 99% of the time. It's quite nice.

Just know your limits, sometimes that means letting a big elk keep walking if your too far in.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post
Lots of stories about missing hikers and hunters that have done that. This day and age it's totally unnecessary.

Problem is you go on a week trip, get injured 2 days in, no-one even starts to think about what happened to you for another 5 days at least.

Get an inreach; let someone know where you're going. I don't have to worry about leaving my area to go to another or hiking further in, I just text the wife over the inreach.

Just know your limits, sometimes that means letting a big elk keep walking if your too far in.
Exactly no need to hunt solo and be out of communication Now days .
Old 05-09-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeride View Post

To each their own been doing it this way for enough years I don’t plan on changing. There is many others out there that do as I do with out issues too. Only backcountry hunter I personally know that died on a hunt had a spot but they could not reach him in time

Electronics definitely give a bit of a safety net but in the end things can go wrong and using caution in the bush to eliminate risk of having an incident to start with is most important

I will agree 100% knowing one’s personal limitations and sticking within them is wise

But really from what the OP is describing he is likely doing close to the road day to two day hunts so he likely would be missed and help called fast if he doesn’t return home
Old 05-09-2022, 07:17 PM

I like to have some sort of communication if heading out alone. I bring it when backpacking with others as well. It's not my peace of mind I'm worried about the most it's my families.

With that said make sure it's a two way like an inreach. I've had one for years and it hasn't failed yet thankfully. I did have a one way spot fail me the first time I used it and it ended up causing more grief than not having anything at all. Didn't help that the last spot I sent out was at the top of a mountain. Got home from from a good trip feeling like a million bucks and found out S and R was on the way to start looking for me.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 PM

Been hunting alone for the majority of my hunts for 45 years. For 35 of them had no cell phone, still don't, nor do I have spot or any other communication method. Navigate by compass. I live alone, nobody would miss me until I didn't show up for work. Never ever thought about that, still don't, just go. More worried about getting in a car accident on the way to my hunting spot than something happening to me while hunting. Something may to me one day, oh well, not about to stay home worrying about it, just be as careful as possible.
Old 05-10-2022, 07:09 AM

I have hunted alone most of my life(67) not always because i wanted too but because my work schedules did not correspond with my friends. I always indicate were I am going to my family and if on longer trips leave a note each day at camp indicating where I intend to be that day. I always carry a pack with enough gear to make it overnight if I have to ( thankfully never yet)
I carry fire starter, food , compass and now a gps, along with an emergency blanket flares and food and water.
Most important things have already been mentioned on this post know your limitations.And yes i too have had too walk away from big elk and moose because i would not be able to get them out by myself without chancing spoilage or my safety.
Most of all have fun, go slow, and enjoy
Old 05-10-2022, 07:21 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Some good info here, pile them all together into a very comfortable pack, a small tarp and Para cord too goes a long way.
Learn the gutless method.
Enjoy the solitude as you can’t beat it.
Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-10-2022, 08:21 AM

Lots of good info here. I don't really hunt anymore and never really did any big trips in the bush. Lots of solo day trips for birds. These days, mostly fishing somewhere around the Oldman. Fishing vest has a couple survival blankets, two bic lighters wrapped in ziploc freezer bags, a magnifying glass ( if the sun is out it can start a fire ), bear bangers, flares that can be fired from the bear banger ( lots of choppers around from the fire base ). Always let someone know where I plan to go, and try to park the truck in the direction I went.

Probably the biggest thing to pack, as mentioned lots of "common" sense!
Old 05-10-2022, 09:46 AM

Thats really bad that you lost your bear hunting partner, especially "If you could run faster than him"
Old 05-10-2022, 10:07 AM

Some great advice on this thread.

I don't hunt solo much (I have family and friends who enjoy hunting, plus I am a bit of a social animal), but it is extremely liberating and a lot of fun.

The key thing for me is to let my loved ones know where I plan to spend my nights and the general area where I plan to hunt. For more technical outings, my family knows that I may be out of communication for days at a time, so part of it is the management of expectations, and that they have to understand that we have enough bush savvy (and basic survival gear) to survive a few extra days away if need be. There is also the understanding that this activity, like many others, assumes an element of risk and that you may not make it back unscathed. I think this is similar to Smoky's position.

As mentioned before, a method of signaling is a must and doesn't need to be expensive or take up much room in your kit. If you don't have a satellite communicator, a bear banger/flare combo is a great option as it serves double duty and doesn't weigh much.

Have fun out there, and use your noggin!
Old 05-10-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Thats really bad that you lost your bear hunting partner, especially "If you could run faster than him"
Old 05-10-2022, 10:30 AM

When on longer hikes i also bring my portable lithium battery booster, these things are awesome! It held its charge all winter inside my truck and i used it to charge my phone and stuff multiple times, even only for the truck its a nice piece of mind, especially when it gets cold up here.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:36 AM

I hunt to be alone. Always have, always will.

Snacks, water, life straw or filter, pain killers, med kit, fire starter. Light weight rain gear or tarp. Bear spray. Compass. Multi tool. Make a list, keep a detailed journal, update it as you gain experience, that way you avoid repeating mistakes

Think very seriously about how far you want to pack, if the meat will spoil, get taken by birds or predators, etc. 45 lbs is about the limit for an all day hike, 80 lbs for a pack out, 5 km one way, if you’re in shape. More than that you will get hurt, and it will usually be a long term injury.

Three things will kill you right now: lightning, gravity, and running water. Don’t expect second chances with them. Don’t do anything that makes you pause.

Get rid of the narrative in your head. You need to be clear and focused the second you step out of the truck. Head up, not looking at your boots or phone. Eyes, ears and mind open. Take it all in, trust your gut. Feel the ground when you walk.
Sounds don’t make themselves. Expect to see game at every moment. When approaching an opening or sight line, stop far back in cover and observe.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:49 PM

+1 on an inreach.

I hunt solo in the foothills/mountains every year.
I've seen someone snap their ankle on an easy hill. It was a 10+ hour endeavor with conservation officers and search and rescue to get her down. If that happens solo, you can expect to stay the night at the very least.

Have a good emergency kit: fire starter, headlamp, water purification tablets, enough clothing to survive the night, inreach, etc
Old 05-10-2022, 01:23 PM

I agree with everything said. Honestly, I can’t understand the people not carrying an Inreach if out of the service area or in the mountains. I think the only two reasons are:

1) Cheap….. or can’t afford it
2) No wife/kids/family/ friends etc at home worrying about you.

I can’t think of a single other reason NOT to bring one. You bring it for the peace of mind for both you and your loved ones. Had a friend break his leg at the top of the mountain, a very very remote location, and S&R was there within the hour in a heli and saved him. No inreach would have been a complete and total nightmare.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:59 PM

One big thing that hasn't been mentioned. Do your best to make sure you are in good physical condition in the off season. Do weight training, lose unwanted fat, build strength, do a lot of walking.

This will be of massive benefit.
Old 05-10-2022, 02:25 PM

The OP has not mentioned what kind of hunt they are planning and some here could be overthinking this solo hunt

They could simply be road hunting which doesn’t really call for the same precautions or prep as a multi day backpack hunt
Old 05-10-2022, 04:47 PM

I hunted alone for decades.

I had a map. A detailed one and i would mark it and tell a few people where I was going. And I told them all I would phone them once I got home. Pretty simple.

I carried my little pack with a knife, tarp, matches, water, and a little first aid kit.

I kept my word. Went where I said I was going and nowhere else, and all was fine.
Old 05-10-2022, 05:05 PM

Quote:
The OP has not mentioned what kind of hunt they are planning and some here could be overthinking this solo hunt

They could simply be road hunting which doesn’t really call for the same precautions or prep as a multi day backpack hunt

Hmmm ya get down some remote road and your ride dies.
Best just hit the woods prepared whether it’s a drive or a day or more out cuz if poop happens just be prepared minimum with the basics .
Always better to have them to wish you had.
I luv the look on peoples faces when they simply make bad decisions and can’t understand how they had such a miserable outcome.
Best of luck OP and enjoy the outdoors come fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-10-2022, 05:13 PM

Make sure someone knows your plan and do not deviate
Spare vehicle keys
maybe a booster pack that can be used to charge electronics and boost a car
More fuel and water than you think you will need
Old 05-10-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Hmmm ya get down some remote road and your ride dies.
Best just hit the woods prepared whether it’s a drive or a day or more out cuz if poop happens just be prepared minimum with the basics .
Always better to have them to wish you had.
I luv the look on peoples faces when they simply make bad decisions and can’t understand how they had such a miserable outcome.
Best of luck OP and enjoy the outdoors come fall.

Maybe you guys just worry more than I do. The mentors I had growing up would be looking at this thread wondering when hunting became so complicated.

Like I said to each their own
Old 05-10-2022, 06:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I hunted alone for decades.

I had a map. A detailed one and i would mark it and tell a few people where I was going. And I told them all I would phone them once I got home. Pretty simple.

I carried my little pack with a knife, tarp, matches, water, and a little first aid kit.

I kept my word. Went where I said I was going and nowhere else, and all was fine.
You can do the same thing now too
Except if things hit the fan you can call for help

I have too many hunts still left to do, so Im not willing to die on a mountain because i was too cheap or too proud to carry an inreach
Old 05-10-2022, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Maybe you guys just worry more than I do. The mentors I had growing up would be looking at this thread wondering when hunting became so complicated.

Like I said to each their own

I hear ya if we go back a generation or two they would fall over laughing but a generation or two before them they did the same.
My kid will ask me what direction we are going I tell him north, he says north is the other way and I tell him I walk north cuz my arse points south, never lost that way!
Your right we sure can scale back on items but the basics should be a must have, all others are a nicety not a necessity.