Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 05-08-2022, 01:51 PM

Default What makes a great hunting rifle?

Just read Pathfinders remarks in another thread and figured its worth discussing so....
In your opinion what makes a great or "perfect" hunting rifle?
Not just what rifle can you use for hunting but what makes a specific rifle great at its intended purpose....hunting.
I have hunted enough years to understand theres not a one and done rifle for ALL hunting styles so there will be lots of right answers.
I personally own a few guns but I have 3 perfect ( IMO) rifles for my style of hunting.
So ill start with my first hunting style and rifle i have chosen to perform the task.

Thick bush hunting.. moose, elk and bear

My style is going after them in the thick stuff and calling.
My choice of rifle....marlin dark 45-70. My marlin has been heavily modified by myself with both action and trigger work as well as stock modifications. Length of pull has been taylored to my frame to i can run the lever without upsetting my sight picture. Also my front grip has been slimmed down considerably to better fit my grip and overall weight has been trimmed to just a shade under 7lbs without optics. The Trigger and action has been tuned for extremely light fast action, trigger is under 3lbs (46oz)
I love options for sights and optics so i have kept the XS ghost and front post. I also tapped the xs sight to allow skinner/lyman inserts for more precision at longer range. Being that this rifle has a rail i also have a 1.25-5 powered scope in quick detach mounts, and a tr25 red dot that can be quickly mounted if desired, either just really work with the use of this gun.
Probably the biggest reason why this is my go too is bone crushing power with the super heavy bullets that keave really good blood trails should a bull get out of sight after the shot, but most often it just flattens them. My preferred carry method for this gun/ style of hunting is military front ready carry. I carry the gun with the stock right at my right shoulder/ armpit with the barrel landing right around my left knee. I carry 100% hands free but the gun is shot slung so i simply grab the gun and shoot. Having the short barrel means i never have the barrel contacting anything even as i step or crawl over dead fall. As long as my leg can lift over the object my barrel will clear it. When hunting i always have a pack and my rifle connects right to the pack instead of a needing a sling. accuracy wise This rifle easily hits a 10" gong out to 150 yds which is far beyond expected shot opportunities and being fit to my stature it shoulders absolutely perfectly and puts either optic or irons right in my sightline instantaneously.

Ill post my other 2 top choices later on in the thread.
What makes a "perfect" hunting rifle??. Im interested in your choices and why you have chosen them.
Old 05-08-2022, 02:42 PM

Default great rifles

My rifles are usually rated by favorite calibers and action types. I tend to favor the heavier caliber rifles such as my .358 normas and .375 H and H. They make great all-around guns, but they tend to be heavier to pack around as well. Just about the time I decide to take out a lowly 30-06 for deer hunting, that's when a moose or elk pops out and they are still more than adequate to get the job done.
Action types. I love my Blasers, and I love the classic pre-64 winchesters as well. Smooth, dependable, no worry actions.
This last year, I found a Schultz and Larsen in .358 norma. At first it seemed a chunk barrel-heavy, but it was extremely accurate, and I really like the smooth action. I ended up cutting the barrel back a few inches and installing a brake on it. The recoil pad had hardened and needed replacing, so before finishing up the pad, i put about 4 oz. of leadshot in the buttstock, and the new balance to this gun is simply amazing!
My latest purchase ticked most of the boxes without any changes. A W.J. Jeffery mauser action in .375 HH. Can't believe the balance to this gun. Slim to the hand for packing around the bush, and even in the heavy caliber, the balance makes it feel like a light-weight. No scope, but fitted with factory peep sight. Cant wait to check this one out in the bush for elk this year.
Old 05-08-2022, 04:43 PM

I like Stalking rifles
Controll round feed bolt/Falling block
Moderate cartridge
Iron sights
QD rings with low power scope
Blued steel
20-22" barrel depending on cartridge
Wood stock
Thin fore end
Straight or hogs back stock with small cheek piece
Leather sling
My brno 21's check most of these boxes
Old 05-08-2022, 04:58 PM

There are very few that would agree on my choice fir a perfect hunting rifle, in fact I have often been told it is inadequate because of the " just in case" scenarios .
The funny thing is, those scenarios are so very few and far between that I can disregard them.
My rifle does everything I want it to and has. It may not be everyone's choice but it's mine ......
Cat
Old 05-08-2022, 05:18 PM

Another hunting rifle...
My " do all" hunting rifle is built on a CRF mauser 98 cut down to a short action chambered in 308. It has a 20" medium weight barrel with barrel mounted iron backup sights. I have a 2-7 scope set very low on the receiver. My stock is modified for length of pull and slimmed down to fit my grip. It has a floor plate mag and the rifle balances right on the front acton bolt. My bolt face is modified to allow the claw extractor to snap over a round should the need arise to just drop a round in the action. Trigger is tuned to 44oz. The rifles overall weight is 7lbs loaded with scope. I generally use the exact same carry style as the marlin so front ready carry. This rifle shoots sub moa and has been used ( with a different optic) to smash steel out to 1000yds. This is my everything out to 400 yds hunting rifle so its carried while still hunting, tracking, walking cutlines ect. Its light and nimble quick to shoulder and with the lpvo its fast shooting with both eyes open or just enough magnification to make hits out past 5-600yds. The action is smoother than the bald spot on my grampas head and it delivers plenty of authority without punishing recoil. Its been tuned to feed rounds from the mag with such ease i find myself looking to see if it has rounds in the mag. Its a simple never fail, well balanced gun that just feels good in my hands.
Old 05-08-2022, 05:47 PM

My third choice is my "long range" hunting rifle.. this is the gun i pach when im expecting shot opportunities between 300 and 800 yds. So mostly big open spaces.
A slicked up...you guessed it m98 crf in 300wm. This rifle has a 25" medium contour barrel and " plastic" stock modified again to fit me perfectly. The action has been slicked up and yes the claw modified to allow it to snap over a loose round dropped into the reciever. Single stage trigger I built myself that breaks at 45oz with no creep or slack. This rifle weighs in at 2oz over 8lbs loaded w scope, a 6-18x44 in low rings. This rifle also shoots sub moa and is doped out to 1500yds. If i need to really reach out and touch something this is the gun ill grab. This rifle because of the where it gets packed is traditionally slung, using a sling i designed and made that not only acts as a sling but a shooting aid also weather im prone off a pack or bipod or seated with a tripod.l
I have other rifles that i hunt with or target shoot with but these three are my idea of " a perfect" hunting rifle. Utterly reliable , interestingly simplistic, and modified to fit me exactly, and no plastic parts lol.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:39 PM

Remington 700 in 30-06.

Thread over.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Remington 700 in 30-06.

Thread over.
Funny thing that. I just peeked in my gun vault and didn't find a single Remington 700- and i doubt very much one will ever find one in there!
Cat
Old 05-08-2022, 09:13 PM

I am not too picky as long as it feels comfortable to shoulder and It shoots straight

For comfort I like my Marlin 336 and my TC encore pro hunter.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:19 PM

I prefer the lightest rifle possible in 30-06 or 300 win mag
Old 05-08-2022, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Funny thing that. I just peeked in my gun vault and didn't find a single Remington 700- and i doubt very much one will ever find one in there!
Cat
I'm sorry to hear that.
Maybe some day with some guidance you could get on a path to becoming a fair rifle shooter.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=Dewey Cox;4518652]Remington 700 in 30-06.

I have a rem 700. They are not all that.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
I'm sorry to hear that.
Maybe some day with some guidance you could get on a path to becoming a fair rifle shooter.

Cat
Old 05-09-2022, 06:19 AM

Default What Makes a Great Hunting Rifle?

The guy shouldering the rifle, in my opinion.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:23 AM

favorite rifle has to have, controlled feed, accurate, reasonable range of factory loading's available, avaiable right or left action for the lefty's (I can shoot ambidextrous doesnt matter to me) 8-10lbs fully geared with five rounds. Take down would be a bonus.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:28 AM

For me, a rifle has to be reliable, accurate, comfortable to shoot, and in a cartridge that works well for my hunting conditions. I prefer a quality fiberglass stock, and a stainless barreled action. I tend to like rifle/scope combinations around 8 to 9-1/2lbs, with a scope with a minimum magnification of 3 to 3-1/2x. I don't care if the rifle has a floorplate or a detachable mag, but it must have a quality trigger, and it must not have a brake. I tend to favor bore diameters of 6.5-7mm, and a velocity of 3000fps to 3500fps, with a lighter to medium weight for caliber bullet.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:57 AM

I think what makes a great hunting rifle for me, is a rifle that is simple and accurate. I don't like a rifle that is flimsy or doesn't feel solid in the hand. For this reason I prefer a wood stock or a well made synthetic. I tend to stay away from the factory synthetics. For my style of hunting i prefer a rifle that can easily be carried all day or packed away in a scabbard without being too bulky on the saddle. Also it needs to be rugged, so I don't have to worry about it getting scratched of bumped. It also needs to be accurate with moderate recoil, and shoot a projectile with enough energy to down any game at 400yds. My rifle of choice for this is a Rem 700 in .280 Remington.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:51 AM

Once I get the rifle load perfected, this will be my " perfect hunting rifle"
Ready for anything from Sharptails to moose!
Cat

Old 05-09-2022, 08:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

fit, finish, accurate, reliable and chambered in a cartridge capable, effective, efficient to ethically kill your intended game animal.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-09-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
fit, finish, accurate, reliable and chambered in a cartridge capable, effective, efficient to ethically kill your intended game animal.
Pretty much how I feel about this.

My go to is a 35 year old Model 700. I know how it shoots, and should I fail...not the rifle's fault...
Old 05-09-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgutpile View Post
Can't believe the balance to this gun. Slim to the hand for packing around the bush, and even in the heavy caliber, the balance makes it feel like a light-weight. No scope, but fitted with factory peep sight. Cant wait to check this one out in the bush for elk this year.
I love my heavy .270 Winchester Supergrade for the same reason. Heavy is ok as long as it’s balanced and beautiful! I absolutely love my mine. I’m young and dumb enough I have no problems packing it around up coulees and through miles of bush. Wouldn’t mountain hunt with it though by any means😂
Old 05-09-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
I love my heavy .270 Winchester Supergrade for the same reason. Heavy is ok as long as it’s balanced and beautiful! I absolutely love my mine. I’m young and dumb enough I have no problems packing it around up coulees and through miles of bush. Wouldn’t mountain hunt with it though by any means😂
I feel the same way, my Sako 75 heavy barrel 7mm is no lightweight but I am way more comfortable shooting it than my relatively light weight 30-06. I am willing to suffer carrying it all day.
Old 05-09-2022, 10:43 AM

Light weight
wood stock
22" barrel
capable of 1" groups
Low recoil
adequate for any game in North America
Backup Iron sights
controlled round feed
recoil pad
Sling
Caliber 6.5X55
Swedish Mauser
Old 05-09-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
I like Stalking rifles
Controll round feed bolt/Falling block
Moderate cartridge
Iron sights
QD rings with low power scope
Blued steel
20-22" barrel depending on cartridge
Wood stock
Thin fore end
Straight or hogs back stock with small cheek piece
Leather sling
My brno 21's check most of these boxes
This all sounds about right to me. I've got a pair of Husqvarna carbines that check all those boxes. With a 2-7x scope they come in under 7.5 lbs trailside, and work well for the bush hunting I do, but are versitile enough to do just about anything you want acceptably well. I've owned far more expensive rifles in the past, and at a couple points my wife has suggested I upgrade, but invariably I shop around and realise that I'd have to shell out quite a bit of money would and basically ending up with almost the same rifle.

DSCF1814 by , on Flickr

DSCF1216 by , on Flickr

PA080253 by , on Flickr
Old 05-09-2022, 11:18 AM

I’m not gonna lie. My 30-06 is my doit all gun. Tikka superlite, fluted barrel and bolt. Very pretty and accurate with 165 Partitions. That being said. I also grab at least aa many times my Marlin 336. Made in 1975, bought it 32 years ago. My first rifle. I will admit I have never felt under gunned while out in the field with it. It kills bears, deer, moose and recently some beavers. Still iron sights and still as familiar to me as any wrench In my tool box. It’s always like having an old friend with you. You can always count on it when you need it.
It will be the one that never went away.

Tullfan
Old 05-09-2022, 11:18 AM

I've happily made do with Remington 700s for a while now (7mm08 , 7mm RM, .300 WM) but also had a 788 in .308 win, that's what I could afford and started with decades ago. Also had some Winchester 70s and a Ruger 77, CZ, Sako, Tikka. Tried a few.

This winter I had KS Arms build me my 'Dream' hunting rifle. Their 3 lug action, 60 degree bolt throw, a 22" fluted barrel #3 contour (stainless), Trigger Tech Primary set at 2.5 lbs, HS precision bottom metal and magazine, and all set in a Wildcat Composite stock. It is a short action, weighed in at 6 lbs 4 oz without scope. I'm finally going to get my rings this week, as the first set of Talley one piece rings got seized by CBSA, something about parts for a 'weapon'. Idiots.

But I digress.

It should finish around 7 lbs 6 oz, maybe an ounce more, with scope (a Zeiss Conquest V4, 4-16x44mm with firedot illuminated reticle).

As for the chambering, I went with a .338 Federal. I've had a hankering for this cartridge for a decade now, figured it was time. Short action, 180-210 gr bullets, the numbers would suggest a very capable 300 yards rifle which is as far as I have ever had to shoot. Out to 300, it betters a .30-06 for energy by a decent margin, and almost as much as a 7mm RM, shooting 200 gr bullets with a MV in the 2650 range. And, shooting 180s, it will drop a half inch less then a .30-06 shooting same weight, at 300 yards.

I have a half dozen different factory loads to try, from Federal. Blue Box Power Point 200s, Accubond 180s, Fusion 200s, Trophy bonded Tip 200s, Trophy Copper Tip 200s, and 210 gr Nosler Partitions. I expect they will all shoot dandy, and all are capable, but will see how each does at the range.

It does this with a recoil about the same as a .308 shooting 165s which is great when you have arthritis in your shoulders (not to mention light packing!). I know, you can't beat physics, but a properly fitted stock with a good recoil pad can do wonders. I have shot it with no scope, with 180s to 210s, and it is really mild for a .338. Weighing slightly over 6 lbs, I thought it might be nasty, but it wasn't at all. Sns2 also shot it like that and concurred.

Anyway, with 3200+ foot lbs at the muzzle and still over 1800 foot lbs of energy at 300 yards, in a nicely balanced short light weight rifle with mild recoil, I think it is perfect and efficient.

Hopefully I will have an opportunity to put it to the test this fall on a nice bull elk. :-)

And as a side note, I'm going to be calling you in the next couple of weeks, Obsessed1, to get out with you and shoot that rifle with you, and get it dialled in out to 300. Or, 400. Or 500.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 05-09-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:54 PM

And as a side note, I'm going to be calling you in the next couple of weeks, Obsessed1, to get out with you and shoot that rifle with you, and get it dialled in out to 300. Or, 400. Or 500.[/QUOTE]

Looking forward to it
Old 05-09-2022, 01:01 PM

Default What makes a great hunting rifle

One that’s light, very accurate, has a good scope, and that you are comfortable with. Mine is a Ruger M77, in 7MM Mag. It has a Leupold 3 1/2 aX 10 on it. I’ve been hunting with this same gun for 42 years.

Last edited by trigger7mm; 05-09-2022 at 01:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-09-2022, 02:06 PM

A great hunting rifle? One with a 54 degree bolt throw for fast cycles (even with gloves on) and spits out heavy grain partitions at a high rate of speed.
Top it with european glass. That would be my definition of a great hunting rifle.
Old 05-09-2022, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
A great hunting rifle? One with a 54 degree bolt throw for fast cycles (even with gloves on) and spits out heavy grain partitions at a high rate of speed.
Top it with european glass. That would be my definition of a great hunting rifle.
I was so close, missed it by 6 degrees....

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone