Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-26-2022, 04:04 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
The Blueberry chief fired off the news release right after she received a death threat Yesterday. Interesting timing to say the least
Actually she was reporting they had no agreement nor were involved in this decision by the NDP to proceed the way they did BEFORE her life was threatened.

The provincila government tossed the FN's under the bus for this one, and as it turns out, it was and is PURELY an NDP Agenda Driven Move.

The consequences...

Blueberry River First Nations Chief receives death threat about proposed moose hunting restrictions

Blueberry is currently working with the province to clarify the media release as Blueberry was not a part of their proposal to restrict moose hunting in the region, said Desjarlais.

Prior to the voicemail, Desjarlais has expressed to local media that her community had no involvement in the province’s proposal.

“We have no agreement in regards to that decision by the province, what they’ve decided to do, regarding the funding,” said Desjarlais. “That was their own action, it had nothing to do with Blueberry, because we have not reached any agreement with the province, especially with the wildlife impact pertaining to the treaty rights litigation.”

https://energeticcity.ca/2022/03/25/...moose-hunting/

Nog
Old 03-26-2022, 07:28 PM

So... fact check prior to who is overstepping...
Same type of policy direction in other provinces when looking at similar hunting, trapping and fishing reg changes.
Or infrastructure development for that matter.
Crickets most times from those implying the proposed changes
When called out. What is expected here now for response to the claims made regarding the proposal?
Old 03-27-2022, 04:35 PM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
So... fact check prior to who is overstepping...
Same type of policy direction in other provinces when looking at similar hunting, trapping and fishing reg changes.
Or infrastructure development for that matter.
Crickets most times from those implying the proposed changes
When called out. What is expected here now for response to the claims made regarding the proposal?
Not quite certain what you are asking here...
Old 03-27-2022, 04:57 PM

If the province acting without agreement or consult with FN, what next step or recourse as original was identified as bartered with FN for new proposal. In respect to treaty obligations and closures.

Last edited by outofbounds; 03-27-2022 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2022, 01:11 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofbounds View Post
If the province acting without agreement or consult with FN, what next step or recourse as original was identified as bartered with FN for new proposal.
If they run with it, litigation.

Dear Premier,

I am exceedingly disappointed that you have chosen to simply ignore my repeated requests for clarification in this matter.
I was under the impression that you and your Government works for us, and are therefore accountable to us to some degree.
I can now clearly ascertain that is not the way you understand it to be.

This is a very serious matter, especially so given the stated concerns of the involved First Nation, outdoor enthusiasts and many more.
It very much appears to be trading away the opportunities of the majority of those groups in order to proceed with further environmental damaging industrial developments. It also very much appears you and your Government did so unilaterally without the explicit consent of the involved First Nation, in direct contrast to what You yourself have stated you will be adhering to now and into the future.

I am now aware of several organizations that are investigating the potential of litigation should this proposal be implemented.
Due to the refusal of yourself and many of your Ministers to provide clarification / justification on the matter, I will be supporting those initiatives as strongly as I possibly can should this proposal be implemented.

Sincerely,
Old 03-30-2022, 03:37 AM

Corb lund " the truth comes out" is fitting don't ya think!!!

Bullcrap is bullcrap, no matter how it is brewed!
Sad to see how some still see benefit of false news to push certain provincial and user agendas to reach numbers for acceptance for current agenda, pushing lies for some seeking advantage... who benefits?

Here's to righting a wrong to recognize that it was... if proven so!

Shameful a government or government representatives, that in this day and age still create such a divide on the people that know better...enabling such a division promoted by false pretense to further agenda based on false pretense and false advantage.

Rightfully so, should litigation prove facts and punishment, so should rightful disclosure on facts as proven.

Let the truth be told and shouted from rafters to prove the divide that is brought by those to seek advantage for reason or cause.
Litigation, for sure....
I by no means am a religous man, but bullshat is bullshat!
Let the truth be told...

Pitting one group versus the other has proven unsuccesful, but remains to be the go to when certain agenda is on point!!

Proves, where governments and certain interest groups are still lacking forward thinking and current knowledge of collaborative thinking and efforts..
I have been part of many interprovincial and national projects to know it is not that hard to identify and work through collaboratively, provincially and regionally, to identify real issues, table and work through for best interest of all involved or impacted...

The blatent false claims, if proven, should be weighed and judged accordingly.. Identified and shared so joe public can see either directly by residents as well as neighboring what the truth really is...

Last edited by outofbounds; 03-30-2022 at 04:04 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 04:47 AM

So..
Does the incentive identified to garner response as identified in post #3 align with content of Post 28 and 31?

For clarity, I am of a family that outfitts, hunts, traps, and fish and enjoys and partakes in all of outdoor bounty across all of North America.

Facts are facts, let's not allow certain levels of government and interest groups align facts and policy and or agenda for their benefit.

Let the truth be told, for factual decision making...

And hold those overstepping to be accountable...

Facts are facts, agenda is agenda, hold government accountable to facts, much further ahead...

This is exactly how we lost the grizzly hunts in the west...
Our own worst enemies, fueling other groups through clear division to success...

Last edited by outofbounds; 03-30-2022 at 05:08 AM.
Old 03-30-2022, 07:38 AM

Default Fair Warning up front

If this turns into a First Nations bashing thread I'll close it and hand out suspensions. Ensure your ire is directed at the BC government, not Treaty 8 natives, or any First Nations people.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:17 AM
Banned

Someone here is lying
It will be interesting to see how they do damage control
Old 03-30-2022, 12:27 PM
Banned

Exclamation

This is happening TONIGHT folks:

Proposed Hunting Regulations Virtual Roundtable with the BC Liberal Caucus

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/proposed...s-298262881307

Cheers,
Nog
Old 03-30-2022, 01:56 PM
Banned

Arrow

Joint Statement from Chief Judy Desjarlais and Ministers Conroy & Rankin:

https://blueberryfn.com/statement-fr...dy-desjarlais/

Some may infer FN support for this initiative, however I am quite doubtful of that. Not what the Chief said at all: "Blueberry River First Nations has not come to an agreement with the Province on any wildlife measures, including any changes to wildlife regulations".

She does go on to note that: "We believe moose have been affected by over-development and that some temporary measures are required in some areas. As long as wildlife management and habitat restoration are managed sustainably, there can be a healthy hunting industry in future for everyone in northeast BC"

My interpretation would be that the BC Government took what they were alluding to, and ran willy nilly with it, imposing the restrictions over a MUCH LARGER area than that influenced by the FN in question. That they did so unilaterally. That they did so in the face of stable or increasing moose & caribou populations. And that they did so in order to continue with actually increasing the exact same type of environmental degradation / destruction that drove the court case in the first place.

Nog
Old 03-30-2022, 01:59 PM

Why is it in Canada today that the minority rules. And the politicians are all in their positions for their own personal back door gains? This country isn’t the country it was 10 years ago. So much for the word called logic.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:09 PM

Thanks for sharing the updates on this topic Nog.
Old 03-30-2022, 08:34 PM

There are three bands pushing this agenda and the BRFN are not one of them. Neither are the Doig or the HRFN.

Here is one of them

http://www.dawsoncreekmirror.ca/loca...-draws-5207371

This band is not even a BC band, they are Cree FN that "moved" from Manitoba in the 1900's and have been given the Peace Moberly Tract for them to manage and that is now off limits to all non FN for moose hunting....to start.

Everyone has to remember that the decision was for the BRFN (actually Chief Yahey) and the excessive development on their traditional territory, not Treaty 8's. Yet somehow, the Government, Saulteau, West Moberly and Prophet River FN's have turned that decision into one that covers all of the Peace. No Caribou hunting at all and a huge reduction of 50% of the licensed resident hunters hunting moose in the Peace. And remember, we have conservatively 45000 moose in the Peace and were harvesting ~1300/year, ~3% of the population. Now we are at 1% if we harvest the reduced number of 489. There is no, zero, zippo conservation concerns with moose in the Peace, yet here we are.

Do the homework, follow the UNDRIP decision and you will soon see that this is already spreading across BC and soon eastward.

Cheers

SS
Old 03-31-2022, 07:38 AM

''If this turns into a First Nations bashing thread I'll close it and hand out suspensions. Ensure your ire is directed at the BC government, not Treaty 8 natives, or any First Nations people.''

I agree that ultimately the government is responsible for making these types of decisions However:

Does this mean hands off first nations or can we still enter facts if it refers to first nations?

If I can not stand up for my rights as a non native canadian on this forum Or if I can not question decisions in relation to equality under the law as indicated in the Constitution ( no not the charter) then suspend me now.
Old 03-31-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIUS View Post
''If this turns into a First Nations bashing thread I'll close it and hand out suspensions. Ensure your ire is directed at the BC government, not Treaty 8 natives, or any First Nations people.''

I agree that ultimately the government is responsible for making these types of decisions However:

Does this mean hands off first nations or can we still enter facts if it refers to first nations?

If I can not stand up for my rights as a non native canadian on this forum Or if I can not question decisions in relation to equality under the law as indicated in the Constitution ( no not the charter) then suspend me now.
Facts are facts, and are allowed to be presented tactfully, but as with anything else, painting an entire race of people with the same brush is not dealing in facts. It's divisive and hateful. These discussions never end well.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
If this turns into a First Nations bashing thread I'll close it and hand out suspensions. Ensure your ire is directed at the BC government, not Treaty 8 natives, or any First Nations people.
That’s a strange position to take?

I understand not wanting the thread to turn into a FN bashing, but nothing posted to this point indicating anything like that.

The second part where you want to ensure people think the same way you do is troubling. Not sure your position as a moderator is to control the narrative, but that seems to be a common theme in social media today
Old 03-31-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
That’s a strange position to take?

I understand not wanting the thread to turn into a FN bashing, but nothing posted to this point indicating anything like that.

The second part where you want to ensure people think the same way you do is troubling. Not sure your position as a moderator is to control the narrative, but that seems to be a common theme in social media today
Not intending to control the narrative at all. I've just been a part of too many of these discussions that turn into a FN bashing thread. Then suspensions get handed out, threads get closed etc. No one benefits from that.
Old 03-31-2022, 12:25 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Proposed Hunting Regulations Virtual Roundtable with the BC Liberal Caucus
Certainly seemed to me that they (BC Libs - Note Falcon missing) have no real battle plan.
GOABC certainly did appear to have our backs. Nice.

Not uber impressed with the former.
Pleased with the latter...

Nog
Old 04-01-2022, 12:24 PM

Yukon following suit?

https://www.whitehorsestar.com/News/...rjFGUg-gBxAmE0
Old 04-01-2022, 12:33 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
NOT the same issue here.

Nog
Old 04-01-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Not likely, no city full of non hunting voters to control the territory. The Yukon is so low on industry they surely don’t want to lose anymore.
BC has been operating on yearly quotas for a long time, it didn’t change anything
Old 04-01-2022, 02:05 PM

Quote:
NOT the same issue here.

Nog
Step 1....
May be a few more steps involved, but you don't believe the end result will be the same
Last paragraph is concerning

I skimmed thru article fairly quick, and of course am not up on what's happening in BC as much as yourself, but to me this doesn't look much better

Last edited by MountainTi; 04-01-2022 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-01-2022, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Not likely, no city full of non hunting voters to control the territory. The Yukon is so low on industry they surely don’t want to lose anymore.

With a left leaning government (NDP to Liberal), do they really care? Are they any different than the NWT (aside from maybe yellowknife). Government money that keeps it afloat. The entire Mackenzie Valley had it's chance to be prosperous...they said no. Taxpayers still foot that bill.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:42 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
... I skimmed thru article fairly quick, and of course am not up on what's happening in BC as much as yourself, but to me this doesn't look much better
While I agree there is some potential for that to spill over into resident hunting opportunities, for now it is mainly focused on outfitters.
And those opportunities are not being stripped away to allow further industrial degradation / destruction of the environment.

Time will tell.
Certainly worth a watch.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 04-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

More "Confidential Discussions" ramping up:

West Moberly First Nations, BC Hydro enter “confidential discussions” on Treaty 8 violation claims over Site C

MOBERLY LAKE, B.C. – A trial that was supposed to begin in March between West Moberly First Nations and BC Hydro over claims that Site C violated Treaty 8 rights has moved to closed door meetings.

West Moberly’s lawsuit filed in 2018 against BC Hydro and the provincial and federal governments was expected to lead to a 120-day trial this year, however, the infringement claim was adjourned.

The update comes from BC Hydro’s annual progress report, stating the “parties to the litigation are continuing confidential discussions to seek to settle this litigation.”

https://energeticcity.ca/2022/03/31/...s-over-site-c/
Old 04-08-2022, 01:27 PM
Banned

Arrow

Hunters rally behind BC Liberals on proposed moose hunt changes

“I’ve been hunting that area for decades. The moose population is doing fine. The caribou population is doing fine,” said Port Alberni’s Matt Stabler on the first video call of the night. “This is simply a trade-off of our hunting privileges so that development can continue and environmental degradation and destruction will be accelerated.”

“That was the main thrust of that court case. Period. There’s no other way to read it,” added Stabler. “This is a direct trade-off of our privileges.”

https://www.alaskahighwaynews.ca/for...hanges-5217035
Old 04-12-2022, 04:17 PM
Banned

Thumbs down

Of the dozens of letters & Emails I sent out in this regard, the only one that responded was Heyman:

My response:

You are the Minister of ENVIRONMENT!!

The BC Supreme Court Case which initiated these draconian actions by your party was focused entirely upon Environmental concerns.
Period.

Your attempt to "pass the buck" in this instance is beyond infuriating.

I demand an answer as to your involvement with these matters, and further that you take immediate steps to rectify the stripping away of hunting privileges in order to continue with increased environmental degradation / destruction.

In other words: DO YOUR JOB!
Old 04-12-2022, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Of the dozens of letters & Emails I sent out in this regard, the only one that responded was Heyman:

My response:

You are the Minister of ENVIRONMENT!!

The BC Supreme Court Case which initiated these draconian actions by your party was focused entirely upon Environmental concerns.
Period.

Your attempt to "pass the buck" in this instance is beyond infuriating.

I demand an answer as to your involvement with these matters, and further that you take immediate steps to rectify the stripping away of hunting privileges in order to continue with increased environmental degradation / destruction.

In other words: DO YOUR JOB!
Katrine Conroy is handling this before she moves on to her new position. We’ve been dealing with her for almost 2 months now.

David Skerik appears to be the sacrificial lamb that’s at the forefront of the government frontline

We still don’t know what’s happening, they are dragging this on and on. We were told last week the decision was coming out within a day or two. That was 6 days ago and still nothing.
Old 04-13-2022, 11:41 AM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
We still don’t know what’s happening, they are dragging this on and on. We were told last week the decision was coming out within a day or two. That was 6 days ago and still nothing.
Wrote Conroy repeatedly. Crickets.

Word I am getting is that they are somewhat taken aback and scared of the level of backlash this has caused. Good. They should be!

Nog