Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2019, 08:21 PM

Default Truck box camper on trailer?

Anyone ever put a truck box camper on a flat deck trailer personally from AO? I’m considering starting this project and making a hunting trailer I can also camp with and haul a couple quads. I know it would be better with a goose neck but I don’t need a gooseneck trailer and prefer it low to the ground. I also have a 100 gallon water tank (I think it’s that big) I can put under the front of the camper if I keep it back a few feet. Frame in the bottom of the over hang and use it for storage, like water tank, batteries, propane. I know it won’t be the prettiest thing out there but it will definitely get the job done. Let me know your personal challenges with this idea if you had any, or other ideas that would be nice to have in the woods? Extra water I figured would be a bonus.

Anyone have a 6-8’ camper they would like to part with?
Old 02-25-2019, 08:36 PM

I've seen them set up that way.and if you keep it on there there's no jacks needed,which is a big time pain with campers.Other good side is you just unhook and drive away. There's lots of campers around.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I've seen them set up that way.and if you keep it on there there's no jacks needed,which is a big time pain with campers.Other good side is you just unhook and drive away. There's lots of campers around.
Yeah that’s what im thinking, a separate unit so I don’t have to take the camper on and off the trailer I already have. I see a few of these campers in the bush around where I live so I’ll go start knocking doors soon. Then a trailer, my friend has an old stock trailer I can get for cheap or some horse trading. The thing is rusted out so I’ll cut the top off and fix up the trailer up. I’m hoping I can get a camper for fairly cheap.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:10 AM

i tried this many years ago..... 70s , works excellent for hunting and even gives you a deck, but the downside of this is pulling this in the wind is terrible.You definitely need a Diesel to pull it. We tried to use a FJ 40 landcruiser and was lacking all the way around. The idea is a good one.. lots of storage for hunting stuff, room to secure game down for trip home, can get back off road quite easily, and minimal cost to set up... enjoy...... we sure did.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:08 AM

A friend of mine had that set up 35 years ago, he had an 8'6" camper mounted on the front of a 24' goose neck trailer, lots of room behind it for quads etc. Worked just fine but I'll give you a couple downfalls that we found, campers have very limited space inside, 2 guys are ok but thats the limit, your stuff on the back of the flat deck is out in the open and very often covered in mud and slop if the roads are messy getting into your hunting area, and not very secure, and the way things are these days that's a huge problem, always someone out there that thinks they are entitled to your stuff.

When I decided I needed a hunting unit I of my own, some 25 years ago or so I went with a 24' V nose enclosed trailer, hauls all my camp plus my s x s, set up camp, throw out the carpet on the floor and set up the cots, warm and dry all the time, lots of room for 4 cots, plus when your not in hunting camp it doubles as a great place to store your stuff under lock and key out of the weather and out of sight of guys with sticky fingers.

Just my 2 cents worth

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:15 AM

Yeah probably the biggest downside are the aerodynamics of it, without the truck cab the camper just awkwardly overhangs and makes a huge wind drag, especially on a bumper pull with a pickup truck. The way air goes over your truck and down towards the bumper would basically then create a parachute effect with the lip of the camper and the deck of the trailer (see below).

Definitely wouldn't need a diesel but expect to take a big hit on the fuel mileage if you hit some wind.

Of course, could always sheet up some plywood in front and have a good dry storage for firewood however.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:30 AM

I did this with an 18' flat deck for a Suffield Ek hunt (Off the Base) and it worked very well. I even carried a deep freeze ,generator, zodiac and outboard motor. It is true that most campers get quite crowded with more than two people and their gear so you may want to add a sleeping tent. A V8 gas 3/4 ton will pull it all just fine.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:31 AM

As for the wind drag, you may be farther ahead reversing the direction. I know seem's counter intuitive, but a raindrop is the most aerodynamic shape, bigger at the end that hits the wind. Plus you won't have the lift that will happen as air gets trapped under the bunk area.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:59 AM

I had this type of setup. I bought it off a guy who had set up that way. It was an 8' camper on a 14' tandem bumper pull trailer. The camper was most of the way to the front. Left me room for one quad behind the camper. If I brought a buddy I could throw his quad in the back of the truck. I found it to tow decently for what it was. Under the overhang was used for storing the camping gear. I liked the setup. I got some good years out of it.
Old 02-26-2019, 02:18 PM

I've thought about this, but I think the ideal would be to find the frame from an old fifth wheel to put it on. Then build a deck on the back. I've also seen a few toy haulers on Kijiji with a trailer on the front half and deck on the back.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2019, 02:36 PM

A guy I hunted with a few times years ago had this set up. Friend of a friend. His was a bumper pull, the camper was centred. He put one quad on the front under the over hang and one quad on the back by the camper door. Was a neat set up. He did have a diesel to drag it around as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2019, 04:49 PM

This kind of set up has always appealed to me, being able to pull and unhook as you please.

How much does the average truck camper weight? Always thought it'd be lighter or the same weight as a single axel camper

You folks are talking about pulling with diesels or 3/4 tonnes, but I wouldn't be hauling quads, just the camper
Old 02-26-2019, 05:24 PM

Default Truck box camper on trailer?

I’ve had this setup, even camped a family of 5 in there
They do pull hard. I’m going to look for a 5th wheel frame for the next one, should get some extra deck space out of it.

I really enjoyed it for late season cold, easier to dry gear out than a tent

16 ft deck, can fit quad, and deep freeze, or two quads if desired

It gets pretty heavy on the hitch, not hard to go over weight on payload with a half ton (I’ve weighed mine a few times loaded out)