Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 03:39 PM
Banned

Default What are youre spring plans ???

Man its getting way to grumpy and stale around here lately lets change the topic a bit.. Just wondering whats everyones spring hunting plans,, Bear, Wolf, maybe some shoots,, lets here them and maybe get some ideas..

During break up which will start in about 4 -5 days for me and run until about the middle of May.. This year I plan on making the most of it since it looks like another busy summer stuck at work.. Will definitely Fish as much as possible until the end of the month then I plan on trying some Wolf hunting around home. Never tried it before so it should be interesting and a whole new learning experience..(any tips are welcome) Then about the middle of April we will start to get the Bear baits active,, looks like we are going to run two this year,, hopefully this is my year for a nice cinnamon with the bow... Other than that just a lot of quading and enjoying the bush for me..

So lets here of some other plans..

And oh yah the Edmonton Sportsman show and then we are planning on taking a family trip down to Cabellas in Idaho for a couple days when the boys are on their spring break from school,, I can't wait for that...
Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM

No plans until September so I'll be grumpy until then.

I got invited on a bear hunt this spring but am going to turn it down on principle (not my cup of tea).

I have some work to do in developing a load for my gun that shoots hunting bullets up to my standard (way too high likely). That should chew up a bit of my rare free time.

I think I have a chance to go for sheep this year so at least I have something to look forward to.

Mostly my spring summer will be alot of work.

Good luck with your stuff.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM
Banned

Going back to Sask this weekend, hopefully get some ice fishing in.

Hopefully one more sledding trip out to Sicamous/Revy if I can get another weekend pass from the wife.

Next thing you know it will be April, and I'll be waiting until I can get into Maclean with the dirt bike and not need carbide studs. I usually try to get out for a few sporting clays or pheasant shoots in April, those are always a blast.

After that, I've got a couple of brandings to go to in May, as well as pulling out the 5th wheel and doing a little camping if the weather cooperates.

Then off to Sask again for two weeks of fishing in early June. I can't wait for that.

It doesn't seem like much, but somehow I'll be so busy doing something I won't even get to some that! I for sure can't plan any further in advance than that LOL.

Waxy
Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM

Well thats a hopeful topic

1. I will Bear hunt on a Spot and Stalk basis in the south country looking for a light color phase bear or more red than brown.

2. Go to Virginia to spend some time with the dog on his field trials just one weekend then back to work and keep the Bustin Clays at the Oldman River Gun Club keep chasin a light bear if I haven't gotten one.

3. Head to the north and try our luck for a second bear with my 15 year old looking for his first bear I am sure color will not be an issue " size matters"
4. Slam some Pike and Walleye out at Buffalo Pound Lake and try the Carp fishery as well maybe decide to do some work on the new Lake lot.

Big plans Oh yeah loose my last 42 lbs in prep for the first Sheep Hunt in years total loss will be 96 lbs and I'm Scottish so don't be thinkin nothin about Austin Power.

Last edited by Donny Bear; 03-04-2008 at 04:22 PM. Reason: Forgot the fat joke
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 PM
jrs

Quick bear hunt then work my but off so i can take off a week in the summer to help with a youth camp and a week later on to chase trophy antelope and another week to chase a mulie buck. Came across an awesome new brown trout spot today for the spring as well, i can't wait.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Hoochie Papa

Well, after 33 days of working straight nights, my biggest plan for spring is to SLEEP DURING THE NIGHT!!!

My Dad might want to try for his first bear this year, so if he decides to do that, I will take him out for a few days. Other than that, the wife has a Honey-Do list of house renos that might even interrupt my fall season.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:25 PM

Other then work.... I would like to go do some hiking and look for some winter kill sheep (pick-ups) And then I would also get in shape for the 08 guiding season... (we'll see if this really happens or not... LOL)
Go guide for the summer/fall. Then Hopefully get home in time to try and do a little sheep hunting for myself!!
Old 03-04-2008, 07:40 PM

I'm drawn for turkey. So I guess I'll be dressing up like a tree again in May.
Which reminds me, I better start practicing up my yelps.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM

My spring plans involve some quadding and black bear hunting, but holding out for something BIGger than what I already have taken. But, I am most looking forward to finding a piece of [crown] land where I can unleash my 300 RUM and (soon to be) 338 Lapua at some extreme long range steel gongs. I am dying to get in some serious trigger time.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:04 PM

I'll be prowlin' the lease roads and cutlines, looking for a brown or blonde bear. Just an excuse to get out and hand with my buddies. Tell lies and bust balls!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Default yup

come april 15 its off to argentina for the red stag and water buffalo,puma,and hog. home on the 25 of april and gone into bear camp till june 2. cant wait to hit the river.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:31 PM

train the pups and fish
Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 PM

Bear hunting with bow.

Scouting my deer territory and scouting new spots for elk & mule deer

Travel a bit and finish my PE course

Also build some cameras for my bear spots and post pic and story

Call of the Wild
Old 03-04-2008, 09:13 PM

not afrikaan thing...if everything goes right

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
No plans until September so I'll be grumpy until then.

I got invited on a bear hunt this spring but am going to turn it down on principle (not my cup of tea).
Spring spot and stock bear hunting can be some of the funnest hunting out there. I would agree with you if you said bait hunting isnt.... but I dont want to open that can of worms
Old 03-04-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post

1. I will Bear hunt on a Spot and Stalk basis in the south country looking for a light color phase bear or more red than brown.

2. Go to Virginia to spend some time with the dog on his field trials just one weekend then back to work and keep the Bustin Clays at the Oldman River Gun Club keep chasin a light bear if I haven't gotten one.

3. Head to the north and try our luck for a second bear with my 15 year old looking for his first bear I am sure color will not be an issue " size matters"
4. Slam some Pike and Walleye out at Buffalo Pound Lake and try the Carp fishery as well maybe decide to do some work on the new Lake lot.

Big plans Oh yeah loose my last 42 lbs in prep for the first Sheep Hunt in years total loss will be 96 lbs and I'm Scottish so don't be thinkin nothin about Austin Power.

The fishing must have changed from the Buffalo Pound I used to fish. I spent years there and hardly caught a thing. Although the river running off of Buffalo was sure good for pike in the spring!
Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 AM

Default Plans

29 March get my neww Brittany pup. That is going to eat up a bunch of time between now and the fall. Always try to get in a bit of spring trout fishing and that will be good outing days for pup as well. Got to get out to the hunting area at least 3-4 days over the summer. Have some trail work to do befor the fall season. More good outing days for the pup. Anyone see a common theme here.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke-eater View Post
Spring spot and stock bear hunting can be some of the funnest hunting out there. I would agree with you if you said bait hunting isnt.... but I dont want to open that can of worms
Actually it is spot and stalk so I've seriously considered it. I just don't have a use for a dead bear (I've heard they can be good eating but I'll try a sampler first). My long lens is toast so I can't even really consider going along with just a camera.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM

gophers and clays.....as much as possible.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bear View Post

Calgary Herald

The body of a PETA activist was found in Porcupine Hills yesterday, the apparent victim of a bear mauling. Fish and Wildlife officials are puzzled as to why the individual was carrying a large amount of "Miss Clairol Nice n' Easy chocolate brown #24" hair dye....
Old 03-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Black bear hunting, Sask snow goose, then a whole lot trap and varmint hunting! cant wait either...
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 PM

Ice fishing, bear hunting, then fishing the Churchill river system for a few days in June.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:44 PM

Default Hehehehheeh!

I plan to sit over a bait waiting for a black bear with my bow. Or washing and drying some flies in Alberta's rivers and lakes...

While waiting I will dream about:

Going to go to Africa and harvest an elephant with a crossbow,
a caged hog harvest,
bear hunting with Dogs in US.

After ruminating whether half melted track in snow is coyote, wolf, dog, cougar or lynx.

then think about Alberta Seperatist traitors

........and have a good argument about ethics with myself....

Heck it will be like the AO forum!..... only colder!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
I plan to sit over a bait waiting for a black bear with my bow. Or washing and drying some flies in Alberta's rivers and lakes...

While waiting I will dream about:

Going to go to Africa and harvest an elephant with a crossbow,
a caged hog harvest,
bear hunting with Dogs in US.

After ruminating whether half melted track in snow is coyote, wolf, dog, cougar or lynx.

then think about Alberta Seperatist traitors

........and have a good argument about ethics with myself....

Heck it will be like the AO forum!..... only colder!
MODS!!! I feel like I'm being picked on!!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:19 PM

More fishing for Sailfish in the am............talked to my buddy down here running the boat and yesterday they teased 20 up and had shots at half with flyrods.......only one landed though.....lol
Old 03-05-2008, 08:26 PM

Early morning forays up the Athabasca for a bear or some extreme long range shooting, maybe lunchtime at the club smashing clays if 'm not too busy.
LOTS of centerfire shooting this spring, for sure!

I have an area close to the office where i can go stump shooting to keep my bow eye in shape, thatis always a welcome diversion.
Cat
Old 03-05-2008, 09:48 PM

Turn off the cellphone,hang out with my wife and children for a bit then saddle up and explore the willmore.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:20 AM

hey Bullwinkle before you turn off the phone give me a call I'll saddle up and go with ya soon as we get some days to go...
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 AM

That's the plan!!!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:40 AM

First spring in many I won't be chasen bear...I hope my African hunt will be a suitable substitute.