Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-24-2015, 10:52 AM

Default Student needing market research - short 10 question survey about fly fishing

Hello all,

I am a student at College of the Rockies in Golden BC, and I am doing a project where I need information about BC and Alberta's fly fishing demographics. I have a short 10 question survey linked below that asks questions about your personal fly fishing and it would go a long way in helping my studies. Thanks for your time!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/K97PRF7
Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 PM

If you are looking for Demographic information as stated shouldn't you look at gender, age and people specific data? Just curious, the questions look more like a survey a guiding service or commercial shop might put together not a student for a class project.

Just a personal observation

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 02-24-2015, 12:51 PM

Nope, that survey has nothing to do with demographics, not sure really what conclusions you would be able to draw from that survey.....
Old 02-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Except for a bunch of info on locations should people be stupid enough to fall for it.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 PM

Talking

I fell for it... I input sikome lake in fish creek park for winter fly fishing
Old 02-24-2015, 01:37 PM

I will not be filling it out....

I'd love to read the survey results though!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:41 PM

Creative way to look for secret fishing holes.

Fishing Regulations
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Yep kudos to him for trying to be creative. But all his other posts about looking for hidden, out of the way, quad in only spots, to go flyfishing makes this post a little suspect
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 PM

Gotta be more subtle if you wanna trick people bud
Old 02-24-2015, 04:22 PM

Hey guys, sorry for the confusion. It is for a class where we have to do a business plan proposal in the adventure tourism industry, and I chose to do a fly fishing guiding operation.

I guess it wasn't a direct demographics study, because we already know that the people who are willing to pay 3k+ for a week of air-access backcountry trout fishing are middle-aged men with financial means. It was more of a comparison of the usual high-end demographic to the average fly fisher.

Wasn't looking for anybody's honey holes, that question was directed more at what people like and don't like about their fishing locations. I got plenty of **** you's on that question, but some were mature enough to answer the question and specify a general region or water type, and some of the qualities of why they do and do not like it. I would be happy to post the results of the survey (minus people's favourite waters, because nobody knows huge secrets like the fact the Elk River has cuts and bulls in it) after I hand in my assignment at the end of March for those who are curious.

Thanks to all those who answered the questions with some degree of seriousness
Old 02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
Banned

What course are you taking and who is your instructor?
Old 02-24-2015, 08:25 PM

Default Well said Grey Lynx

That's a legit question. Perhaps more people would take the survey more seriously if those questions would be answered.

I know if I were asking my students to solicit public opinion via surveys, I'd be happy to have the course name and as a supervising prof my professional email attached to it.

Just a perspective.

Smitty
Old 02-25-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeK View Post
I guess it wasn't a direct demographics study, because we already know that the people who are willing to pay 3k+ for a week of air-access backcountry trout fishing are middle-aged men with financial means.
First you say it was a study and then you say it wasn't. In marketing unless the questions directly relate to the original demographics you mentioned this second questionnaire would be useless both because of time passed and questions asked as it isn't linked to the first test group. Also during my time in a marketing position with Travel Alberta I would seriously question the results of your your target group above both in age and $ from this province.

Nice try on the comeback though.

Fishing Regulations
Old 02-25-2015, 09:04 AM

click to see all the OPs post and there are all about where to go get fish.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:49 AM

Survey responded too but I didn't give up any honey holes. In fact I think if this survey was done for a marketing class it wasn't specific enough. I'm not sure what kind of useful info you will get from it, whether you're doing a class or "fishing" for spots to fish.
Good luck either way.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-25-2015, 12:21 PM

For those who are curious, the class is at the College of the Rockies Golden campus, the class is ATBO 112 - Research Methods, and the instructor is F. Smith. Here's the course description copy/pasted from the COTR website.

ATBO 112: Introduces the student to the basics of primary and secondary qualitative research methods needed in business and sustainable tourism development. Students can gain an understanding of the importance of backing up business proposals, grant proposals and tourism planning with credible relevant and up to date research. It covers a variety of new research skills and apply them throughout an independent research project.

I didn't expect to have to provide so much of a justification for a non-invasive, optional survey. I have the maximum number of results from the free survey site I am using, so mods could close this thread if they so desired. This survey is just a small part of a larger project. Thanks again for all those who contributed!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 AM

This is actually ridiculous. He is not asking for GPS coordinates or anything. We are all outdoorsmen with a common passion. If he wants to combine his passion for fly fishing and education, why are we so ready to attack him? This forum is discussion. If you don't want to answer a location question, simply put N/A or something along those lines without being completely rude and answer whatever you feel comfortable with. I didn't realize helping someone out with a school project by asking a few questions that will take 10 minutes was such a big deal.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM

So, one conclusion arrived at in your research should be that fly fishermen are suspicious, ornery SOB's.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So, one conclusion arrived at in your research should be that fly fishermen are suspicious, ornery SOB's.
Hey Bro: Where would I fit in? he he.... Probably in the statistical "flyer"?
Old 02-26-2015, 10:30 AM

Like I said if anything the survey probably wasn't specific enough. Not sure what information he was gathering but it was pretty general.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-26-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Hey Bro: Where would I fit in? he he.... Probably in the statistical "flyer"?
You're a "frequent flyer"
Old 02-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
You're a "frequent flyer"
Ha Ha. That's a good one Oko.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:39 PM

Filled it out for you. Pretty ridiculous how some of you treated this.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
Filled it out for you. Pretty ridiculous how some of you treated this.
X2!!!!
Old 02-26-2015, 04:38 PM

Really you guys got hot and bothered by that wow no wonder younger people lose interest in this sport if I got treated like that on a stream I wouldn't go back. I filled it out no big deal hope it helps out whatever your trying to accomplish.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:15 PM
Banned

Rycoma:

Could you please share the GPS coordinates you gave the OP with all of us people that Oki describes us as.

I never saw your side of the story. Several years ago I became rather irritated when a National Geographic crew flew into Pinto Lake from Nordegg and told me to remove my campsite.

P.S. I am not a SOB! I actually had a mother and father to raise me.

Thank you.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Really you guys got hot and bothered by that wow no wonder younger people lose interest in this sport if I got treated like that on a stream I wouldn't go back. I filled it out no big deal hope it helps out whatever your trying to accomplish.
To be fair, forum members have helped him out lots over the years. He only ever posts asking about locations to catch fish. He does not participate or contribute to discussions or respond to questions asked by others. Simply look at his past posts. He doesn't even come back to the threads he starts to thank people for their suggestions. He just asks where to go and what to use. Period. We would love to have him be a fully participating contributing member. Young fellows like him are always welcome if they want to add something.

That all said it's not the end of the world.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
To be fair, forum members have helped him out lots over the years. He only ever posts asking about locations to catch fish. He does not participate or contribute to discussions or respond to questions asked by others. Simply look at his past posts. He doesn't even come back to the threads he starts to thank people for their suggestions. He just asks where to go and what to use. Period. We would love to have him be a fully participating contributing member. Young fellows like him are always welcome if they want to add something.

That all said it's not the end of the world.
Thank you Bro.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:54 PM

Default Relax everyone

Folks. it's the internet. This is one of Alberta's most popular, diverse outdoor forums.

I believe the membership stretches into the 1000's, correct?

So while the majority (vast majority?) of people on the forum are good people, let's not be naive. Every forum has it's share of lurkers, leechers, people with less than, shall we say, above-board intentions. This one is no different.

And speaking specifically about leeching, there's no doubt, it's unquestionable in my mind that spots have been outed, hot-spotted, and impacted by internet publicity. Some of them through this very forum. If you don't believe me, try asking around for the latest ice fishing perch honey holes.

Bottom line; it's natural and prudent for people to be cautious and skeptical before divulging information. JoeK could have been a little more upfront and a little less vague about providing details about his course in the beginning. Especially if he's soliciting the public's input over a relatively anonymous internet forum. Greylynx's questions were well founded. To his credit, JoeK stepped up.

Having said that, there's no need for the rest of us to pile on and indulge in character assassination.

Anyways, to err on the side of not divulging spots I think is the best way to go. But I don't begrudge those who decided to participate in the poll. To each his own.

Smitty
Old 02-26-2015, 09:09 PM

Did you guys even look at the poll. No where did he ask for spots or places to go. I'm not calling anyone out but if your going to make comments about something at least look at it first. That was one of the least specific surveys I have ever taken he didn't even ask age or gender. Sorry if I come off ****y but if he is in post secondary he needs all the help he can get to get through it.